Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15a Has Range Been Improved?????  (Read 4480 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
CM15a Has Range Been Improved?????
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:48 PM »

Hello I have an older CM15a and it works perfectly except for the range which I would rate at about 10 feet  :(. So I can't use the built in transceiver, I have to use my ds7000 console instead which has excellent range but as you know you can only use one channel at a time, so if you want to use multiple channels wirelessly you have to use multiple transceivers, so it would really be great if I had a CM15a with some decent range. Seems like I read somewhere that the range has improved somewhat since I purchased my last CM15a a few years ago. I think I read they looped more wire inside the unit itself or something. This little device would have been phenomenal just incredible with better range and software.  So can anyone confirm this or should I just try one of the patches that have been bandied around here on the forums. Thanks!!

Tom j.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Re: CM15a Has Range Been Improved?????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:07:26 PM »

My cm15a is just over a year old and still has no range on it. I lengthen the ant. with some copper wire to better the range. It makes it to about 30 foot range. Then I use other transceivers to help it through the house.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

tom j

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:54:58 AM »

My cm15a is just over a year old and still has no range on it. I lengthen the ant. with some copper wire to better the range. It makes it to about 30 foot range. Then I use other transceivers to help it through the house.

hum... thanks for your help just can't understand how someone could design something like this. Like I said the little device has so much potential but with no range it potential will go unrealized.  :(

Tom j.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »

...just can't understand how someone could design something like this.

It's easy to have a bad design when there is no practical specifications or product plan to follow. If they had a product objective and proper procedures and tests to ensure they meet those, then a bad design should never happen. If they did have a good product objective, then someone made the call to allow it on the market with this defect.

Like I said the little device has so much potential but with no range it potential will go unrealized.  :(

So true, and hopefully someday they will listen to all of our posted issues and improve the product or build a better one. Sometimes it's better to start over than to continuously supply bandaid solutions.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »

My new TM751 has the same RF Receiver daughter card in it as the CM15A does. The TM751 has a longer antenna and even with the indirect coupling to the receiver. Beats my few month old CM15A RF distance wise.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:20:33 AM »

My new TM751 has the same RF Receiver daughter card in it as the CM15A does. The TM751 has a longer antenna and even with the indirect coupling to the receiver. Beats my few month old CM15A RF distance wise.

Hi say how much of an improvement do you get maybe I'll just try to swap out the antenna. Thanks!

Tom j.

bilbaomtl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »

Hi,

To improve the antenna do a eggbeater antenna, mine was so improve and i have no more problem with my ds7000 - cm15a - ahp mix.
first modify your cm15a like show in this link ( replace f-connector by a BNC connector ):
http://www.accessha.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1874

after that do a eggbeater antenna by follow the instruction on that site:
http://jvde.us/x10/eggbeater.pdf
http://davehouston.net/eggbeater.htm

These info have been already post separatly but i do a reminder and i share the fact its work pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:00:50 PM by JeffVolp »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.