Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2wire DSL router issues  (Read 10560 times)

loudelv

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2wire DSL router issues
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »

I've isolated AHP connectivity to one room where my 2Wire DSL wireless router is plugged in. When the router is plugged in, AHP will not control any of the modules within or near the room. When I disconnect the router from the power source, AHP and the mini controllers work just fine. I've changed the channel on the router from channel 6 to channel 1 or channel 11 with no luck. I have also installed a filter on the power of the router with no luck. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: 2wire DSL router issues
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

You need a noise filter on the router.   Line noise kills X10 signals.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

loudelv

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Thanks Dan   I am using a power filter on the router and that hasn't fixed the issue. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:22:05 PM »

..... I've changed the channel on the router from channel 6 to channel 1 or channel 11 with no luck.

WiFi routers transmit data at a different frequency than X10 RF remote signals. Although the WiFi is the same... and can interfer with the camera signals.... I don't think that is the problem your referring to.

If the filter your using is designed to block the PLC (powerline) signals X10 uses... it should work. You could also try adding a bit of an extention cord between the filter and the routers plug. Or finding a less offending receptacle for ether the router... or the CM15A.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:23:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »

A typical filter used on things like computers. Kill most X10 signals as power line noise.
Is the filter you are using one designed for an X10 application?

loudelv

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:59 PM »

Thanks Brian  I'm using a Belkin surge protector with noise filtration of 150kHz-100MHz up to 43 dB reduction.  Also added an extention cord.  This has not fixed.  I will change out the filter-it's new with a different one and see if that changes things. 

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »

It's the surge protector.   They also kill X10 signals.  Surge protectors need a noise filter too.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TheBigOldDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »

Thanks Brian  I'm using a Belkin surge protector with noise filtration of 150kHz-100MHz up to 43 dB reduction.  Also added an extention cord.  This has not fixed.  I will change out the filter-it's new with a different one and see if that changes things. 

Look into:

X-10 15 Amp Heavy Duty Plug-in Noise Filter AF120 X10 for filtering your heavy loads  and the

X-10 PRO 5 Amp Noise Filter Module XPPF X10 for your lighter loads

I installed each type and X10 reliability has increased substantially. If you read through these forums you'll get an idea of how much noise the simplest devices (like a cell phone charger or surge suppressor) can generate on the lines killing the reliability of your X10 system.

Both types can be found inexpensively on ebay. I put them on virtually every powerstrip, electronic device, computers, UPSes etc with dramatic results.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »

I have a 10 Amp Smarthome FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 UPS.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.