Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a smaller replacement security keychain remote  (Read 18987 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
a smaller replacement security keychain remote
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »

To all interested in a smaller remote for your security system. I have located one and you can program with delay also for exit. I wasn't sure if they were going to work, so i purchased 2 of them to give it a shot.  After first couple attempts had no luck and thought i had some remotes for scrap parts, then I found the trick to programming for the security system which is nothing like the instructions say. But now can program in about 1minute and has delay exit, disarm,security light on, security off. You can choose any combination of these, it has 4 buttons each programmable, as long as freq. is the same.  On ebay, search for "universal garage remote" should be one of the first couple listings, it is a REMOCON black remote with 4 buttons.  It is pretty close in size to a standard keyfob instead of the large keychain now.  If others decide to purchase or have purchased and can't get them to work, let me know if you need help with programming for security system.  Also they are made in taiwan, I do some importing from taiwan and will try and locate a supplier so all x-10er's can get a better price, for now it cost me about $19 each with shipping from ebay.  anyway probably worth the look. 

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
Re: a smaller replacement security keychain remote
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

Here's the link paizano1 was talking about....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-car-gate-garage-Learning-fob-Remote-Remocon_W0QQitemZ280322437433QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGarage_Doors_Openers?hash=item280322437433&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

>! Thanks paizano1 !!

Will have to check into this. I know the ones I have now are to BIG. And with all your keys,car remote and the Security Remote is just to much !!!!!!!!!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »

........I found the trick to programming for the security system which is nothing like the instructions say. ........ let me know if you need help with programming.

Posting the alternate instructions would be nice.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

paizano1

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »

after playing around with different programming sequences to make the instructions for everyone simple, have come up with these instructions, i guess they are similar to the ones supplied with remote, not trying to take credit, just had lots of trouble at first and found a way that worked for me, anyway here are the instructions.

you will need new remocon remote, large security remote with delay( if delay is wanted) and small tuning screwdriver supplied with new remote. 

the remocon has similar button layout to security keychain, so use same sequence for simplicity. 1-arm (w/delay) 2-disarm 3- sec. light on 4-sec. light off.

open case of remocon, there are 2 jumpers in the remote 1 close to battery leave on for programming, and 1 close to L.E.D. this one should be set closest to the blue tuning cap, and lay on table next to large remote.  with you left hand push and hold down the #2 button on remocon remote and repeatedly press  and release the disarm button on the security remote. while doing this with your right hand slowly turn the tuning cap with the screwdriver until the green led starts to blink, now release. Now if you press and hold #2 and disarm at same time, led should light and blink 3 times, try a couple times till 3 blinks, now button is programmed.  the remaining buttons should program without any tuning of cap.  just press and hold #3 and security light on till you get 3 blinks, then #4 then #1 . After all are done remove jumper closest to the battery. Now try all 4 button and make sure everything responds. if so assemble case and you are done.
hope this helps, if doesn't work at first keep trying, the remotes are pretty nice, also if frequencies are the same you could program you car remote, and security remote into 1 remote, eliminating large keychains in pocket.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »

Say the thing I don't like about the x10 remote along with the size is how you can accidentally turn the ds7000 on and off how are the buttons on this one.

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »

Say the thing I don't like about the x10 remote.... is how you can accidentally turn the ds7000 on and off

The "accidental discharge" of all pocket remotes... should be their downfall. I have set in my easychair and heard my car alarm arm, or my garagedoor open, or my DS7000 chirp.

A coded keypad would benefit the alarm enormously. I have been using the Icon remote with X10 RF for mine. Until just the other day... this was just a beta test. But is now available to everyone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »

You're right Dave just that some seem to be better designed then others my car remote has the buttons recessed to prevent this and I have actually never triggered my alarm by mistake.

Tom j.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »

:' Think this remote could be used for the DS7000 and your Car Remote?

This would eliminate 2 remotes on the key chain...........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

tom j

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »

Think this remote could be used for the DS7000 and your Car Remote?

This would eliminate 2 remotes on the key chain...........

That would really be a good thing!

Tom j.

paizano1

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »

to answer a couple questions, the buttons are recessed to a point, but could probably be tripped accidentally. also you could eliminate 2 remotes as long as the frequencies are close.  What ever you set the remote to, means that all 4 buttons have to be of the same frequency range. some car remotes have rolling codes and these will not work with this remote.  I am currently in the process of getting some ordered from overseas, couple different types (slide cover for button protection, 4-button with different frequencies each button). Just having to get the paperwork for FCC and customs, shouldn't be too long.  will keep everyone posted.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »

Hey there,

I'm actively looking into a replacement keychain remote and remembered this thread. I'd like the remote for my garage and car. However, I know for a fact that my garage uses rolling codes and also realize that the FOB mentioned here doesn't support that. The ones currently on eBay don't either.

Paizano1 - I see you left this thread with an action item on your part. I'm wondering whether you were able to get the different remotes. Please update.

paizano1

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »

did find different sources for the remotes that weren't as strictly regulated. The problem was that i got side tracked with many other things.  The other remotes that i found were the same as the first ( meaning they are not for rolling codes ).  Have been messing around with different things like RFID and like this type of technology a bit better.  I also started to think about the idea of having everything controlled by 1 device whatever that may be.  I think back the DVD/VCR/TV combo.  If 1 component fails your out 3 until fixed or purchase another one.  1 remote for everything is nice but always need a backup.  If using the remote for garage and car and security say, your battery of course will die about 3times as fast and that means reprogramming that often and could get to be a hassle. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.