Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My x10 setup  (Read 18260 times)

mcmasterp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
My x10 setup
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »

getting this in at the last minute for the contest!

I use x10 in two ways. one is for my home automation, and the other is for a website i run called ferretcam.org

as for my home automation setup I use a cm15a hooked up to a laptop on a table in the livingroom. the laptop acts as a picture frame/caller ID and is very quiet. I run activehome pro, BVC, and PCC (using VW Kate TTS voice). I have 5 learning remotes, 4 palmpads, two slim wall switches, seven lamp modules, two security cameras, 5 motion sensors, and a few macros for scene lighting. obviously the system is voice controlled, though only in the room the laptop is in. the learning remotes work great with my TV and HTPC which runs BeyondTV (5 tuners 2TB storage)

As for the ferretcam.org system. that uses a firecracker interface, a cm11a interface hooked to a xvideo10 video switcher, and a base transceiver. with a cgi script that i put together, 4 cameras, a universal module and an appliance module.

I stream live video of my ferrets to my website using flash media encoder 3 and justin.tv. there are 4 non x10 cameras wired to the Xvideo10 switcher. from the site you can click to switch cameras, turn a fan on and off, and dispense a treat to the ferrets.

when you press the button to dispense a treat the cgi script sends the command through perl to a command line exe which fires the cm17a firecracker. that gets picked up by the base transceiver which passes it along over the powerline to the cm11a interface, which sends the command over the serial port to the Xvideo10 switcher, which of course switches between cameras.

for the treat dispenser I use a universal module wired to a digital fish feeder's manual feed button. it is attached to the top of the cage so treats(healthy food) fall into food bowls. the chime feature (with muffling) alerts the ferrets that a treat is coming!

the fan is a cheap walmart 3" fan hooked to a standard appliance module.

The hardest part (beside the cost. lol) was allowing people to control it over the internet. I didn't want people to be able to screw with my home automation stuff, so the script had to have security. I asked Scott Creiver if I could start with his script which did what I wanted but talked with the cm11a using buggy activehome .dlls and only worked well on win95. with some editing and a command line exe for the firecracker, I got something working for winxp and the cm17a with no activehome hacks. theres a link to the script on the site.

I've been using x10 for home automation for about 15yrs, but started the ferretcam project about 3yrs ago. wherever I moved to the first thing I would do is setup x10.

I probably missed a bunch of things so ask questions! also I'll update at the bottom of this post if I think of anything else.

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
Re: My x10 setup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:15:51 PM »

:)% Glad you posted mcmasterp....

Like what you've done with your X10 stuff !!

:' You need to post the link to your Ferret Cam
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »

I have to Agree with Kramer Chins
You need to post the link to your Ferret Cam
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »

He did, in the second line. ferretcam.org
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

B:( how did I miss that?  ??? :-[  ::) :'
Thanks jtykal, it must have been late when I replied! :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »

B:( how did I miss that?  ??? :-[  ::) :'
Thanks jtykal, it must have been late when I replied! :'

B:( Don't feel bad.. I missed it too..  B:(  (  :' Must be old age)
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.