Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water in Camera, Stopped Working  (Read 4158 times)

Selahgal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Water in Camera, Stopped Working
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »

We've had our xCam outdoor WEATHERPROOF cam up and running for 'about' two weeks.  We got our first seasonal storm a few nights ago and the camera got full of water and stopped working!  Hubby has it inside now drying out and we are hoping it will work again.  If so, he says, he *might* be able to seal it so it won't happen again.

My question is why is my indoor/OUTDOOR weatherproof camera full of water?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Water in Camera, Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

My question is why is my indoor/OUTDOOR weatherproof camera full of water?

Wow... I would not only ask why... but HOW. I wouldn't even know what would have filled with water. If the camera stopped working.. call X10. They should replace it.

I try to provide a little cover for my cameras. Under an overhang is more than enough... even under the gutter will work if the gutters are clean and don't overflow on the camera. But the cameras are tough little work horses.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »

did you leave the weather cap on?  They should have a clear plastic cap left on.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Selahgal

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »

Yes the 'weather cap' was on because it was outside.  Water got INSIDE the camera.  We dried it out and it still doesn't work so we will be contacting x10.  I didn't realize it needed to be inside a box or under shelter?  It was just a storm that went through .... rain, wind, thunder, lightening.

I am concerned though, that when it's replaced, should we put it inside a box with a glass window or something?

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

I have several cameras outside and one of them is on a pole with NO cover..... It's been out there through rain, snow, wind, etc..... NO problems!!!!

But like Dave_x10_L stated I try to keep some kind of cover over them. It don't have to be a Fort, but just something to help keep the weather off.
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Selahgal

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »

Update: Got a replacement camera from X10!  NOW, am trying to figure out how to protect it outside.  The storm that toasted the other cam was severe....rain, wind, lightening, thunder, the works.  But we also have brutal winters too.

I need some ideas on protecting the camera from the elements and still be able to get a clear picture with AND still be able to pan & tilt!

A glass cover would be nice but I would imagine it would fog up and possibly distort the view as well.  Partial covering wouldn't stop the WIND and RAIN.

Any good ideas???

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »

I've had a X10 cam out side under an eve for over 10 years (southern Ontario) and it it still going strong even without the clear plastic lens cover.
So I second Dave_x10_Ls suggestion to place it under an overhang.
Just don't mount the pan n tilt upside down!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »

........A glass cover would be nice but I would imagine it would fog up and possibly distort the view as well.  Partial covering wouldn't stop the WIND and RAIN.
Any good ideas???

Just about anything can provide a little cover... a plastic jar, or PVC pipe. But my favorite way to cover [and hide] an X10 camera is a birdhouse. I even show one in a YouTube video I made.

Selahgal

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »

Hubby ended up putting a 2 liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off over the top part of the camera so it' works well enough now.  Already survived on heavy rain.

I still cannot get my cam to stream online anywhere.  I've tried the X10 site, earthcam site and ustream too.  Guess I don't have enough bandwidth or something even though I have DSL.  It SAYS it's online and the status shows with a tiny bit of green on the bar, but on the sites there is nothing but a black screen and the words 'offline' on the bottom.  SIGH.

I suspect THAT is a problem for another thread or topic?

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »

I suspect THAT is a problem for another thread or topic?

Yes... but do a little checking, reading, testing, with image size and frame rate. Video (like pictures) when half the size... actually use less than half as much data (memory, transfer, kilobytes)... and think of frame rate.... as the number of pictures sent per second. So reducing image size by half... and frame rate from 30 to 15... will cut your bandwidth to a fraction of full size/fastest speed.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.