Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10nets.exe prevents modem from working?  (Read 12024 times)

suesloan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
x10nets.exe prevents modem from working?
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »

I initially installed the Vanguard software on an older computer but had to move it to another computer due to old USB ports.

But, when I tried a program on that older computer that uses my modem to dial to a service, it did not work. The modem diagnostics said that the "port is open" so it could not be used/diagnosed.

In the Task Manager I found x10net.exe running and that made me suspicious. So I searched here and found a way to stop it (start button, run, net stop x10nets) and now my modem is working.

Since I  no longer run the cameras and Vanguard on that computer, how do I get rid of x10nets.exe? It appears to start up when WIndows starts.

Note: I find a lot of X10 stuff in the old computer's registry. In particular one refers to x10nets with "ServiceParameters" set to "-RunService". Is this the problem?

Sue

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:27:51 PM by suesloan »

kphigh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: x10nets.exe prevents modem from working?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »

Hi Sue,

I found this to try..

Click Start > Run and type "msconfig" at the prompt. Click the Startup tab and look at all that junk that loads when you launch your PC.  Turn off anything else that looks useless, but be careful not to disable your anti-virus and important system components.

Hopefully it will help.

kevin

suesloan

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:30:04 PM »

I do not find "msconfig" in my Windows 2000 system. Is there something similar there? Sue

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »

You can try this out.   ;)   http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml Is a startup configuration for about anything.  Hope this helps.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

suesloan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »

I used a search engine and found a msconfig.exe that works with W/2000. Now that program does not start up! Sue

bozo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

I do not find "msconfig" in my Windows 2000 system. Is there something similar there? Sue

Goto Start>then Run>then type "msconfig" without the quotes.

But as someone else has already said...Startup CPL is a very nifty proggie to manage ALL startup programs...have been using it for years. It does not run on Vista. T

There are many other startup managers...a MUST HAVE for all computers.
CCleaner has a startup manager included with it's cleaner applet.

suesloan

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »

FYI, "msconfig" does not come with Windows 2000, so I had to do a search and I found one that does work. Once I got it, I was able to disable the x10nets.exe in the startups.

I still do not see why that program evidently took over my modem or com ports since all the stuff connects via USB ports. Can anyone clear this up?

Sue

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.