Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPDF and XPT and need noise filter...  (Read 4935 times)

raccah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPDF and XPT and need noise filter...
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »

Hello folks,

We have an XPT that controls a pair of XPDF one that is attached to some fluorescent lights and one that is attached to incandescent lights.  Using the XPT we can turn the fluorescent lights on and off successfully.  However, we can only turn on the fluorescent lights with the remote control (managed by the CM15) but cannot turn them off with the remote control.

Is this because the fluorescent lights cause noise?  Or is it because the CM15 does not have enough power?  I have heard of a device called the XTB-II which will boost the signal.

Anyway, we were able to turn them on and off with the remote before, but now it has stopped working.

So:

1) Should we buy a line filter for the fluorescent lights, and if so, which one and in what order (filter|XPDF|lights or XPDF|filter|lights)?
2) Is this a signal issue?
3) Is this something else?

Thanks, and we have not changed the system in any important way, other than to reset the home and address values on some of our XPDF modules.

Thanks!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: XPDF and XPT and need noise filter...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »

The noise filter isn't needed for the XPDF and XPT but I'll bet you do need one for the PC itself.  PC's are notorious noise producers both desktop and laptop machines.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »

However, we can only turn on the fluorescent lights with the remote control (managed by the CM15) but cannot turn them off with the remote control.

That is indicative of the fluorescent lights radiating noise onto the powerline.  Since you are using an in-line module, I will assume those are ceiling fluorescent fixtures.  I would recommend using the small Leviton 6287 in-line filter if that is the case.

The fact that you can control the fluorescent light XPDF with the XPT and not with the CM15A may be due to the CM15A being located further away or on the opposite phase.  You may also have a problem with weak signal levels.  If you haven't already installed a good passive coupler, it is a good idea to install one now.

FYI - The XPDF is intended for incandescent loads.  That may not be a good match for your fluorescent lights unless they are capable of dimming.  The XPFM is the correct X10 Pro in-line module to use with loads that are not meant to be dimmed.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

raccah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »

OK, first of all my bad we have XPFM not XPDF.  We have a phase coupler attached to a sub panel that has both phases.  Finally, is there a way to boost the CM15's signal, so that it can act like the XPT (something like the XTB)?  Yes, the XPT is much closer to the fluorescent cans (which you are correct are in the ceiling), than is the CM15.

Thanks for your help!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »

Yes, you can use the XTB to directly boost the output of the CM15A, or you could use the XTB-IIR to replace your phase coupler.  More info on both devices is available here:

http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm

The XTB should be used with a good tuned-circuit passive phase coupler, such as the XPCP.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

Yes, you can use the XTB to directly boost the output of the CM15A, or you could use the XTB-IIR to replace your phase coupler....
So Jeff doesn't have to "toot his own horn", I'm one of several of us on the forum that is very happy with their XTBs. Jeff is one the foremost researchers in X10 signal strength and dealing with interfering noise. If I was doing it all from starting from scratch, I'd consider the XTB-IIR.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.