Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: X10 Signal Meter  (Read 108851 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: X10 Signal Meter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »

I was hoping for bright yellow so I could find where I last left it.
It might have to glow in the dark for me to find it.  rofl

The cost is dominated by a few components:  PCB, LCD display, case, connectors, power transformer, and AD817A op-amp.  The other 70 odd components are relatively inexpensive.... ...I'm shooting for the kit to be $70-$80, and the assembled unit maybe $40 more....
Hmm... Now I just have to figure out if I'm a good enough solderer to get all the "70 odd components"+ in the right place without frying any or if I should shell out the additional to have it done for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:55:46 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 01:04:05 AM »

Hmm... Now I just have to figure out if I'm a good enough solderer to get all the "70 odd components"+ in the right place without frying any or if I should shell out the additional to have it done for me.

It is a relatively loose layout.  Most components solder flat onto the board.  The only thing that may be a little tough to do is to get proper alignment of the LCD connectors so they mate correctly when the cover is installed.  The downside of a loose layout is that the PCB is more expensive than it would be for a tight layout.  But you can more than make up for that by warming up the soldering iron.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »

I'm so excited, I'm vibrating.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »

You know you're a die hard X10 user when a signal meter is a turn on.  ;) rofl
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »

You know you're a die hard X10 user when a signal meter is a turn on.  ;) rofl
Yeah,  you have seen me the day I got my first repeater.....oh my goodness.  ;)

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »

Another status update on the signal meter (revised 7/24):  As mentioned earlier, I incorporated a hardware mod to be able to measure the carrier frequency.  I updated the prototype photo showing that readout:

http://jvde.us/xtb/XTBM_prototype.jpg

You may notice I also increased the X10 signal level resolution.  (I deleted the "V's" from the display to cram on more data.)

During testing, one of my Maxi Controllers read out 130Khz.  While I first suspected something was wrong in the code, checking with my digital scope confirmed the number was indeed correct.  That is one of the ancient boxy Sears units, so it may have drifted from the nominal 120KHz over the years.  A relatively new Leviton Maxi Conroller is exactly at 120KHz, and my TW751 reads 121KHz.

I was a bit surprised that X10 modules still work fine with a Maxi Controller that far off frequency.  I was going to use frequency to recognize an Insteon transmission, but clearly that won't work by itself.

In addition to displaying VALID X10 commands, the unit will also display:

BAD START CODE (something other than 1110)
ERROR: COLLISION (too many bits received)
ERROR: BIT COUNT (not enough bits received)
ERROR: NOISE (for excessive noise on the powerline)

The modified prototype hardware is working well, and PCBs have been ordered.  Availability should still be early fall.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:00:15 AM by JeffVolp »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »

O-boy, o-boy, o-boy, o-boy, o-boy!   :)%

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »

Wha whoo!!!!   #:)

Looking forward to it!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »

...  That is one of the ancient boxy Sears units.....

Ah! A kindred spirit!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:23 AM »

Question for you fellows using the CM15A...

So the signal meter can automatically display a repeater's signal level when it is plugged in, it will issue a command shortly after power-up, and read back the repeated amplitude.  Only the first half of the command will be sent so it can monitor the powerline during the repeated second half.  I plan to use "P Hail Acknowledge" for the command to try to avoid causing any problems.  Does anybody see a problem with that?

Also, for the noise monitor, it will send a command when there is a sudden increase or decrease in noise level.  I know P16 is used by some other equipment, so I thought I would piggyback on that code.  It would send "P16 ON" if there is a sudden increase in background noise, and "P16 OFF" for a sudden decrease.  I had thought about using Bright and Dim commands as more intuitive, but ON and OFF should be easier to capture in a reporting system.  Any comments?

FYI, PCBs ordered today...

Jeff

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:08 AM »

...It would send "P16 ON" if there is a sudden increase in background noise, and "P16 OFF" for a sudden decrease...
Doesn't the CM15A send a "P16 ON" when power is restored. If so, would that be any conflict?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »

...It would send "P16 ON" if there is a sudden increase in background noise, and "P16 OFF" for a sudden decrease...
Doesn't the CM15A send a "P16 ON" when power is restored. If so, would that be any conflict?

It wouldn't be at my end.  The XTB-IIR sends "P16 Status ON" when power is restored.

The X10/Leviton tester pair sends a P1 ON/OFF repeating sequence.  Since that is already defined for tester use, perhaps I should use that here too?

Jeff

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »

Question for you fellows using the CM15A...

So the signal meter can automatically display a repeater's signal level when it is plugged in, it will issue a command shortly after power-up, and read back the repeated amplitude.  Only the first half of the command will be sent so it can monitor the powerline during the repeated second half.  I plan to use "P Hail Acknowledge" for the command to try to avoid causing any problems.  Does anybody see a problem with that?

Also, for the noise monitor, it will send a command when there is a sudden increase or decrease in noise level.  I know P16 is used by some other equipment, so I thought I would piggyback on that code.  It would send "P16 ON" if there is a sudden increase in background noise, and "P16 OFF" for a sudden decrease.  I had thought about using Bright and Dim commands as more intuitive, but ON and OFF should be easier to capture in a reporting system.  Any comments?

FYI, PCBs ordered today...

Jeff

Not a problem for me.

This is great!! What a great tool to help us track down intermitent noise problems, by logging the precise time the noise occured (or started). Just for giggles I think my system will say, "Dave, what was that noise?" with every P16 ON.   :)%

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »

Just for giggles I think my system will say, "Dave, what was that noise?" with every P16 ON.   :)%

How about:  "Dave, TURN THAT OFF!"

Jeff

GregH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »

I'm looking forward to building the meter.  For those who haven't built a kit in a while, fear not, I successfully assembled the XTB-IIR earlier this year.  Jeff's kit instructions are complete (and accurate!).

Oh, I vote for black because it matches better with my OptiVisor.  Now if I could just get a deal on a lab coat... -:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.