Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-10 Quad System  (Read 8960 times)

slabstick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 Quad System
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »

Today, I purchased the Quad System, and after I recieved an email from them with the software download link. I tried the download and it didn't work. I specifically asked the girl on the phone if it was Vista supported...she assured me that it is. What's up? Should I turn the System around when i recieve it and ask for a refund before i ever open it?
I saved the software to my desktop and tried to open it. It said something about a file not working...? I looked it up in the start menu and found Browser, opened it and some of the things opened but was not functional. I did a system restore and cleared it all out. I went to this forum and was looking around and MY GOSH, SO many software issues. I want something that is going to work. The ability to access my home from anywhere in the world is THE key reason i purchased this System.  Somebody tell me i didn't just buy a nightmare.    slabstick

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X-10 Quad System
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »

Today, I purchased the Quad System,
I kinda try to keep up with the model numbers and such.... I am not sure what the "Quad System" is. Are you referring to the AHP with the Software suite?

and after I received an email from them with the software download link. I tried the download and it didn't work. I specifically asked the girl on the phone if it was Vista supported...she assured me that it is. What's up? Should I turn the System around when i recieve it and ask for a refund before i ever open it?
I saved the software to my desktop and tried to open it.
Apparently... it did download. There is (or should have been) directions in the email. When working with software.... reading directions can be useful... even necessary from time to time.

It said something about a file not working...? ....    Somebody tell me i didn't just buy a nightmare.    slabstick

The software doesn't work... without the hardware. For tens of thousands of X10 users this software works well. You will have issues.. and directions will need to be read. Other answers you will find solutions to here. Learning how to search and post at the forum would be helpful also. If your not comfortable with computers, software, and technology... and your post REALLY sounds as if your not... this could be a nightmare for you.

Or.... if you slow down... read, search, and make yourself willing to learn.... you COULD have a great time. I use the X10 software and hardware... and it greatly impoves my life. However if you want to just slam this stuff together and have it working... you might want to ask X10 for a refund.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »

I re-read my post. I don't want to sound harsh.... I would actually like to be helpful.

This is a "Community Forum". We aren't staffed... we are all just X10 users.. volunteers. All of us have made that leap of faith... and bought this stuff off the Internet.. not knowing if it would work or not. Then wondered... if we had... maybe wasted our money.

I don't know why more people don't use Home Automation. I would think it would be more common than it is. But Home Automation does work... and X10 is the oldest and biggest name in the industry. If you take some time and your willing to learn.... you will be amazed at what can be done with X10.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »

I checked the assorted X10 sales pages and didn't find what was called the Quad System. So many choices for different assortments.  ???
Sounds like a camera setup. Maybe with one of the remote access programs as you got a registration number.
If you can maybe give us a few model numbers of the kit. Many here may have information for you. Also the software that you got in the kit.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

Sounds like a camera setup.

You know.... I bet your right... maybe a 4 (quad?) camera setup.

You know after I placed my 1st X10 order... I knew what I wanted to control... and was pretty sure I had ordered enough "stuff" to do what I wanted. But I am sure I couldn't have told anyone exactly what I had ordered (and may had fibbed to my wife as to how much I spent).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

(and may had fibbed to my wife as to how much I spent).
This isn't normal??
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

slabstick

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »

Sorry to leave you hanging like that. I really should have included more information. I do not see a model # but it is the X-10 4 camera system, one with remote viewing. 270.00 system. I have been working on this all day. Like "Dave" said if I'll do some homework, I'll learn some things. I did learn that the problem "Rundll32" is not on my computer. It is a file that they sent with the Vanguard software. It seems that it does not work. I have a level 2 tech support appointment in a few days and he will walk me through the uninstall process and set up. Just as well, now maybe I can get some sleep. lol. I look forward to reading this forum and finding out all the tips and tricks. Thanks for your concerns and interests in my posts.                                                                                                               slabstick

slabstick

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

Hello again, I just thought i would post another piece: This forum, has really been a big help in my decision to return my 4 camera set-up.
I have read, and read, and read! There are so many issues with this system that I am not going to add to my already growing headaches.
Tech support really lacks a WHOLE lot to be desired. I don't even have my system yet but have talked to 5 different techs, they ALL seem to think if they resend to you the installation software and you go through this extensive uninstall, then reinstall, that ALL the problems will go away. rofl. I can see where this is all going and I don't want to go down that road.                         slabstick

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:46 PM »

.....This forum, has really been a big help in my decision to return my 4 camera set-up.

I think you probably made the right decision!

Although many tens of thousands of X10 customers have had trouble free (or nearly trouble free) installations... a four camera setup is NOT plug N play. If you read this forum you will find many customers have come here to get help. As I understand it... only a small percent of X10 customers ever use the forum as a resource. Yet... I can't remember of a single forum member who didn't get their setups working.

So... I am just wondering what your plan "B" is. A professionally installed monitoring system can cost thousands.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:46:33 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »

Sort of piggy backing on the wisdom of Dave X10.

Reading this forum will jade you because it is primarily messages of "I can't get it to work...haalp!". However the number of problems, complaints, questions, etc (or number of unique threads on this forum) can only represent a very small number of X10 customers, otherwise X10 would have been out of business a decade ago. Admittedly putting up four cameras with Ninja P&T with internet connection for control and observation WILL be a challenge, but my bet is many, many, customers set themselves up and get operational with no problems.

Some conclusions I have after monitoring and contributing to this board for four or five years and using X10 stuff for almost three decades is:

1. X10 instructions are good but not great.
2. Some users don't bother reading the instructions and go to this forum for spoon feeding.
3. There are users who can not successfully put new batteries in a flashlight, yet think they are DIY capable of completely automating their home with computer control, security systems, and remote video surveillance.

Number 1 does not excuse number 2.

So don't let the messages on this forum discorage you. At the same time, I agree with Dave when he says "I think you probably made the right decision".

Good luck with what ever system you get, and come back if you get interested in home automation probably where X10 really shines...but in a tarnished sort of way.  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:58:33 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Videonut

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »

Sorry to see you giving up on x10. I agree that it can be a bit of a headache at first but when you get it working there is sooo much you can do with it that it's well worth the effort.

An alternative you could try is USB cameras and a program like active webcam or blue iris. These programs might be a bit easier for you to set up and they have motion detection from the camera image so no need for motion sensor triggers. Then you could always go back to x10 for motion sensor triggered lighting, house automation etc.

Of course if your problem is more computer related than x10 related even trying different software might not work for you.

good luck with what ever you try next.

As a side note..
Dave x10, if I push you, will you play ;-)

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »

B:( It's a shame to see you giving up!

I too was in your shoes a year ago! (Look back at my first post and you'll see) If NOT for the forum and guys on here I would have sent all my stuff also.... But just a little time and a few questions and lots of help (on here) I was able to get my stuff working. Then the more I learned the more I could do with my X10 stuff. Then I started doing mods to some of my stuff. And let me tell you I have NO electrical experience!
   No X10 is not out of the box operation, but then to me that makes it a little more interesting and fun. Read my first post on here and then read my post "X10 and my House" and you'll see where I've went from then till now..... And still learning !!!!

If you should still choose to go and send your stuff back  >! Good Luck in whatever you choose! And if you decide to stick around and figure it out  >! We're glad to have you aboard and will help in any way we can... Give these guys a chance, they are good at what they do!!!!!

By the way I started off with the 4 camera set up... Now I run 12 cameras  :)%
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:27 PM »

As a side note..  Dave x10, if I push you, will you play ;-)

Oh... you mean my new avatar! No just trying to call attention to my YouTube Videos Most are X10 related.

It's a shame to see you giving up!

I too was in your shoes a year ago! (Look back at my first post and you'll see) ..... If you should still choose to go and send your stuff back. Good Luck in whatever you choose! And if you decide to stick around and figure it out! We're glad to have you aboard and will help in any way we can... Give these guys a chance, they are good at what they do!!!!!

You have come a long way Mr Chins!!!!

slabstick

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »

LOL...ya'll almost make me want to give it a whirl anyway...Hummmmmm :-\ I think my biggest problem is this:
I found the X-10 common files in my computer and opened the folder to see all the files in the software download. Yep there it was, as big as daylight, the little bugger that's givin me all the problems Rundll32 file. It's a bad file right? It makes downloading the software almost impossible right? So here's my question....WHY don't they fix it? Put something in there that WILL work. They're the geniuses' right? I think that alot of my stance is this. If you sell a product, and you advertise this product to be the best. you should do all that is possible in your power to make good on that. I work for a Major Elec. Motor Manufacturer we have a "Mission Statement" it states:

(Name of Company) is to be the best (as determined by our customers), marketers, designers, and manufacturers of industrial electric motors, and generators. We also have a "Formula"   

Vp= Qp x Sp
                                                                   -------
                                                                    C x T   

Q=quality S=service  C=cost

T=time    V=value     P=Perceived
I really don't want to bore you with this but, I am a big believer in "Customer Service"
I hope i don't sound like I'm tryin to stick my nose in the air because I'm really not. I just believe that X-10 should supply a defect free product. Take it out of the box, plug it in and Walla!  lol right? Ok that's all            slabstick

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »

Normally, the x10 stuff does work out of the box!  It's the electrical supply thats the problem.  Some users have no problem at all with setting up their x10 modules.

If you read alot here on the forum most problems seem to be that of a electrical nature. ( phase issues, powerline noise) then there is the range problems (RF range and sometimes powerline range if you have a very large house or out buildings) And if you have metal siding you can almost give up on any kind of RF with motion sensors being outside.

You might have to purchase a phase coupler, noise filters, and amplifiers.  But in the long run it still is the least expensive system out there.

I started out with a 12 (yes 12) camera system a very long time ago.  I too was very frustrated.  Then I found out about powerline noise, phase coupling, and how metal effects the RF.  After purchasing a V572 receiver I was able to receive rf from all my motion sensors and remotes.  After purchasing a amplifier from Jeff Volp I was able to control almost every outlet in my home, the pool house, and some of the garage.  I'm still saving up for noise filters.

The point I'm getting at is if your electrical system is Perfect then your x10 stuff should work out of the box.  If not you might have a few setbacks, but after a few purchases of needed equipment you should have more fun than you even imagined!

And with AHP and BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) and PCC (PC Companion) and other third part software it will take no time at all to be addicted to x10 like all of us!

IF your willing to give a 4 camera setup a go then you can always find us here waiting for someone just like you!  Because at one time we were you!  Either way, you'll probably have to get on somebody's forum for something.  Have Fun!   ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.