Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10-controller - a Virtual Housekeeper  (Read 9520 times)

vincentb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
x10-controller - a Virtual Housekeeper
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »

Hey people,

Having been involved with X10 for a number of years, I've just spent the last 6 years designing and constructing a Home Automation Controller (called MyServant) that serves as vitual housekeeper for the home, and its fully compatible wih X10.  I sell it through my business (but currently only deliver to Australian addresses).  I thought I'd share it's release here, in case anyone has been looking for such a solution.

The controller is a self-contained box with a touch screen that mounts into your wall, and provides a whole range of functionality.  There's alot of lighting-intelligence integrated, that's configured for a light by simply ticking features and specifying parameters.  For example, you can easily assign an MS13 motion sensor to a lighting module, whereby if the light switch is manually turned on, MyServant knows to ignore the motion sensor until the light is manually switched off... and MyServant will also auto turn-off the light if left on for too long.  And if the MS13 triggers a light, MServant can detect false triggers, auto dim at night, warn you before it extinguishes a motion-triggred light, simulate when you're on vacation, and much more.

There's heaps of other features - i designed it all because at the time i couldn't find an affordable solution to achieve all that i wanted.
For a full list of details, check out this link:   http://www.futuretouch.com.au/MyServant-Home.asp

If anyone has a questions, shoot me an email.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:49:54 AM by vincentb »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: x10-controller - a Virtual Housekeeper
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »

The controller is a self-contained box with a touch screen that mounts into your wall

check out this link:   http://www.futuretouch.com.au/MyServant-Home.asp

Although I am thrilled with my X10 setup... I constantly feel a need to improve it. These wall mounted touchscreens... make me drool.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »

At over a thousand a pop, thats about all I can do is drooooooll.   :-[  Looks nice though!   #:)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just carry a iPod Touch? And cheaper?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »

Probably cheaper, more versatile and definitely easier from a sitting in a chair prospective but wall mounted touchscreens are really, really cool and totally awesome.

BTW... What control program would you recommend as an iTouch application?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »

OMG.... your so right Deemar! The itouch is only a couple hundred bucks (more or less) and could easily be mounted in a frame or on the wall.

It would look really sharp above the thermostat... and beside the front door. I wonder... any apps out there to make it look and function like a alarm keypad for a DS7000? The downloadable app allows complete X10 device control now. It can do some wifi stuff too can't it? I wonder [again].... could I use it to view my cameras via a wifi connection with my Home Automation computer.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:29:43 PM by Dave_x10_L »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »

...The itouch is only a couple hundred bucks (more or less) and could easily be mounted in a frame or on the wall...
What might be cool would be some sorta "pop and go frame" (might be able to adapt an iPod dock) that would let you pop it out for use on the go or just to take out to check email while sitting in an easy chair.

Since it only requires a low voltage supply of 5V to power/recharge it, wiring power would be easy as well. If your application were close enough to your 24/7 X10 computer, updates could be done while mounted.

...It can do some wifi stuff too can't it? I wonder [again].... could I use it to view my cameras via a wifi connection with my Home Automation computer.
My daughter picked up a used 8G for less than $200. It has me amazed at everything it does. She has it notify her when she gets email. She reads news articles and much more. I'm not sure what would be involed or if it would even be possible to view a live video feed from your X10 cameras but I don't see why you couldn't view a picture sent in an email.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:18:07 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »

Probably cheaper, more versatile and definitely easier from a sitting in a chair prospective but wall mounted touchscreens are really, really cool and totally awesome.

BTW... What control program would you recommend as an iTouch application?

http://melloware.com/products/x10commander/

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »

..... I'm not sure what would be involed or if it would even be possible to view a live video feed from your X10 cameras but I don't see why you couldn't view a picture sent in an email.

That would be plenty enough!

I recently completed a "doorbell macro" that emails me a picture/snapshot of whoever rang the doorbell. I am doing this using the AHP/iwitness running on my HA Computer. I could configure any number of similar macros for images from any or all of my cameras.

I gave Deemar a helpful.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.