Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding an X-10 security system to an existing alarm.  (Read 10152 times)

jukingeo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Adding an X-10 security system to an existing alarm.
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »

Hello, I have been reading about how the X-10 security system eliminates the need for a monitoring service.  While I am interested in this feature, I want to expand on this alarm system as well.

My existing alarm is a standard closed circuit wired alarm.  What I would like to know is if I can add the X-10 Voice Dialer console to the existing system in which if the main alarm is triggered, can it will activate the dialer?

The current alarm system is old but it is working fine.  However, I have pets in the basement and want to remove the existing infrared sensors and put in windows sensors so the pets no longer trigger the alarm.

Thanx,

Geo

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Adding an X-10 security system to an existing alarm.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »

My existing alarm is a standard closed circuit wired alarm.  What I would like to know is if I can add the X-10 Voice Dialer console to the existing system in which if the main alarm is triggered, can it will activate the dialer?

Does your current system provide a contact closure upon alarm?

If so you can interface it to the "Protector Plus" system, through the input on a window/door sensor.

The Voice Dialer has no provisions for external trigger other than the pendant.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

...I have been reading about how the X-10 security system eliminates the need for a monitoring service...
...My existing alarm is a standard closed circuit wired alarm...
I've soap boxed my opinion in detail elsewhere but if you have an existing monitored alarm system, keep it. Monitored home alarm systems almost always qualify for an insurance discount. Unmonitored systems rarely qualify for an insurance discount. Monitored alarm reports to the police are more accurate and also often result in a better response time than user reported alarms also. e.g. My alarm monitoring company knows to call the fire department if a fire is detected. My neighbors on the other hand would wait 15 minutes or so before finally making a 911 call to say they hear my alarm and still not know if it was an intrusion or fire.
If you're paying too much for your monitoring service, PM me and I'll give you a referral to the service I use. (Starts at 8.95/month for the 1st year.)
X10 products can enhance or be incorporated into a professional alarm system. e.g. My alarm system will triger a powerflash module to flash my lights.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jukingeo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »

Does your current system provide a contact closure upon alarm?

If so you can interface it to the "Protector Plus" system, through the input on a window/door sensor.

The Voice Dialer has no provisions for external trigger other than the pendant.

It may.   I know it has the horn output.  But how would you connect that to the x-10 security center?

I've soap boxed my opinion in detail elsewhere but if you have an existing monitored alarm system, keep it. Monitored home alarm systems almost always qualify for an insurance discount. Unmonitored systems rarely qualify for an insurance discount. Monitored alarm reports to the police are more accurate and also often result in a better response time than user reported alarms also. e.g. My alarm monitoring company knows to call the fire department if a fire is detected. My neighbors on the other hand would wait 15 minutes or so before finally making a 911 call to say they hear my alarm and still not know if it was an intrusion or fire.
If you're paying too much for your monitoring service, PM me and I'll give you a referral to the service I use. (Starts at 8.95/month for the 1st year.)
X10 products can enhance or be incorporated into a professional alarm system. e.g. My alarm system will triger a powerflash module to flash my lights.

Yes, the point is to keep the main alarm system, but what I liked about the X-10 system is that it can dial several phone numbers AND you can then listen in to what is going on in the house.  However, it is the interfacing between the two alarm systems is what has me stumped and I don't know what to do there.

Thanx,

Geo

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »

....interfacing between the two alarm systems is what has me stumped and I don't know what to do there.
You might have to contact your alarm installer if you can't find an install manual but I bet your alarm has some form of external trigger option. Generally it closes a contact or provides a small output voltage. Either could be used as a link via a powerflash or a modified X10 sensor. The signal from mine is tied to a powerflash module that flashes my lights.

What alarm do you have?
Bill might be able to give you an idea of where to look. Any ideas Bill?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »

It may.   I know it has the horn output.  But how would you connect that to the x-10 security center?

jukingeo You need to figure out what you have got. We are shooting in the dark here.

1. IF you have a relay closure you could parallel that closure across one of the window / door magnetic switches from the DS7000. You can still use the sensor to protect a window or door, you are just giving it a second input.

http://www.x10securitysystems.com/sensors.html

http://www.x10.com/security/ds7000_s_ps99.html

2. IF you DO NOT have a relay closure, determine whether the external horn is driven by a voltage (i.e. 12V) or is it driven by actual audio from the system. It is likely a self contained siren is driven by 12V. If so determine the driving voltage and whether AC or DC. Parallel an appropriate voltage relay across the horn (i.e 12VDC coil voltage, etc). When the horn sounds the relay will provide a closure which you can use to trigger the DS7000 window sensor unit as in #1.

If your alarm system does not provide a closure, OR some operating voltage to the horn, you need to call the alarm service company and tell them you need a "closure on alarm", and see what they offer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:23:38 PM by dave w »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:37:34 PM »

....interfacing between the two alarm systems is what has me stumped and I don't know what to do there.
You might have to contact your alarm installer if you can't find an install manual but I bet your alarm has some form of external trigger option. Generally it closes a contact or provides a small output voltage. Either could be used as a link via a powerflash or a modified X10 sensor. The signal from mine is tied to a powerflash module that flashes my lights.

What alarm do you have?
Bill might be able to give you an idea of where to look. Any ideas Bill?

Without more information on the make / model of the alarm system, about all I could say is what dave w already posted.   :'
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

jukingeo

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »

jukingeo You need to figure out what you have got. We are shooting in the dark here.

Oh, lucky day for me!  I found the info on my alarm right here on the web:

Alarm type:

Radio Shack SafeHouse model 450A.  Here are the specs:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_security/doc8/8100.htm

Look at the last feature.  The alarm DOES feature a N.O. set of contacts that close when the alarm is activated.  I hope that helps.

1. IF you have a relay closure you could parallel that closure across one of the window / door magnetic switches from the DS7000. You can still use the sensor to protect a window or door, you are just giving it a second input.

http://www.x10securitysystems.com/sensors.html

http://www.x10.com/security/ds7000_s_ps99.html

Ok, so now the question is, are the contacts normally open for the armed state or are they closed (for the X10 wireless transmitters).  If they are normally open then I could utilize the relay contacts of the alarm panel to activate.  I just don't know how the transmitters are constructed.

2. IF you DO NOT have a relay closure, determine whether the external horn is driven by a voltage (i.e. 12V) or is it driven by actual audio from the system. It is likely a self contained siren is driven by 12V. If so determine the driving voltage and whether AC or DC. Parallel an appropriate voltage relay across the horn (i.e 12VDC coil voltage, etc). When the horn sounds the relay will provide a closure which you can use to trigger the DS7000 window sensor unit as in #1.

Yes, it is this kind of system, that I know for sure.  I have two horns on the system right now, one is in the house and one is outside.  I do know that the horns ARE self contained and just require a 12volt power source to be activated to sound.  However from the document I found above, we probably can go the route of #1 since the alarm DOES have the contact closure upon alarm status...however, that will only work IF the X10 transmitters are looking for a closure of contacts for alarm status.   Generally with my experience with wired alarm systems that have magnetic contacts, the contacts are normally closed and the alarm condition is set when the contacts open (loss of the magnetic field causes the contacts to open thereby breaking the closed circuit).  If it is the latter then I probably would have to go with the 12v relay method and use a relay that has both N.C or N.O. contacts.  Then I have a choice depending on what the wireless transmitters need.

Overall it does look like this can be done.

Geo

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

Ok, so now the question is, are the contacts normally open for the armed state or are they closed (for the X10 wireless transmitters).  If they are normally open then I could utilize the relay contacts of the alarm panel to activate.  I just don't know how the transmitters are constructed.

Generally with my experience with wired alarm systems that have magnetic contacts, the contacts are normally closed and the alarm condition is set when the contacts open (loss of the magnetic field causes the contacts to open thereby breaking the closed circuit).  If it is the latter then I probably would have to go with the 12v relay method and use a relay that has both N.C or N.O. contacts.  Then I have a choice depending on what the wireless transmitters need.

Overall it does look like this can be done.

Geo

By George, I think you've got it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.