Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sentinel Camera Locking Up  (Read 12312 times)

bpride

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sentinel Camera Locking Up
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

New user to X10 here.  Bought a Sentinal system but found after about 3 hours the remote stopped working and needed to power off the camera to get it to work again.  X10 replaced the first one for me because of it and the new one does the same thing.  Anyone have any suggestions as to why?  Tech support suggested noise on the power line but had no other suggestions.  Other then the reboot, I love the camera!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Sentinel Camera Locking Up
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »

New user to X10 here.  Bought a Sentinal system but found after about 3 hours the remote stopped working and needed to power off the camera to get it to work again.  X10 replaced the first one for me because of it and the new one does the same thing.  Anyone have any suggestions as to why?  Tech support suggested noise on the power line but had no other suggestions.  Other then the reboot, I love the camera!

Can we get a bit more info please. Are you using any other X10... or X10 cameras. Are you only viewing the Sentinel via RF... or have you tried hardwired. Are you using a TM751?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bpride

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »

Thanks for the response!

I have the camera hard wired to the USB Adapter.  I am also using a CM15A with AHP.  Right now I am not controlling anything but the camera.  The camera is still in my office because I want to make sure everything works before I mount it.  I did find this morning that the camera locks if panned to the right 90 deg.  It just stops and freezes - no RF control for anything from the remote.  If I then manually move the camera a few degrees further, the remote starts working again and can continue to the right but stops at this same spot when panning back left.  If I reset the power, all is OK again. I wonder if it could be the CM15A? I haven't tried unplugging that yet.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »

• I have the camera hard wired to the USB Adapter. 
  • I am also using a CM15A with AHP.
  • I am not controlling anything but the camera. 
  • ..... the camera locks if panned to the right 90 deg.  It just stops and freezes - no RF control for anything from the remote.  If I then manually move the camera a few degrees further, the remote starts working again and can continue to the right but stops at this same spot when panning back left.
  • If I reset the power, all is OK again. I wonder if it could be the CM15A? I haven't tried unplugging that yet.

"If I reset the power, all is OK again" Does that mean that after you unplug and replug-in the Sentinel it no longer "locks if panned to the right 90 deg.  It just stops and freezes - no RF control for anything from the remote"?  Or are you using the remote to turn the Sentinel off (what does reset mean?)? Is this "stopping at 90 degrees"... is that the freezing you refered to earlier... or something NEW? Are/have you been attemping to control the camera with the CM15A?

Have you read the cameras manual? Are you using the presets?

bpride

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »

"Reset the power" is Unplug and Replug the Sentinel. Stopping at 90deg is the freezing - lockup, the camera will no longer respond to any function from the remote.  No presets have been set.  Over night I left the camera plugged in on my desk with the PC off and the same symptoms where there this morning.  The camera responded to the remote until it reached that 90 Deg point then stopped responding again. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes then replugged it in and all was fine again.  I have read the manual that came with it but I haven't changed any settings, this is right out of the box.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »

"Reset the power" is Unplug and Replug the Sentinel. Stopping at 90deg is the freezing - lockup, the camera will no longer respond to any function from the remote.  No presets have been set.  Over night I left the camera plugged in on my desk with the PC off and the same symptoms where there this morning.  The camera responded to the remote until it reached that 90 Deg point then stopped responding again. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes then replugged it in and all was fine again.  I have read the manual that came with it but I haven't changed any settings, this is right out of the box.

That's interesting! There is no way the camera should be sticking at any degree point. Lets try something: ... set a preset. Make the preset just a degree or two short of where it would freeze or lock up (about where you would move it to manually). Then let the camera malfunction again... then select the preset that is just a few degrees away.... and see if the preset unlocks it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:08:38 AM by Dave_x10_L »

bpride

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »

Great Idea! I can't try that until I get home this evening but it will be the first thing I do (if my wife doesn't have other projects lined up first)!  Thanks allot for helping me out with this.

bpride

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »

Well Dave, I set 5 presets and set the camera to pan and shut down the PC and unplugged the CM15A.  I left the camera panning all night.  It didn't stop at all but the motion is now very very slow.  I pushed the center function button on the remote and the camera picked right up went to center.  Now when I use any of the controls, the camera responds, but is painfully slow.  I unplugged the camara, let it sit for 10 minutes then tried it again.  The default center on Power up worked fine and quick but using the controls on the remote are still painfully slow - 56 seconds to go from center to either side.  Press the Center button and it snaps right back.  I'm thinking that it is just another defective camera?

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »

.... I'm thinking that it is just another defective camera?

I agree. Of course you'll need to call X10. Ask them to pay for shipping this time. The Sentinel is a fine camera... it's a shame you've had bad luck.

When you get the replacement... be sure to test and post here. We really like hearing the "happy ending parts" of the problem posts.

bpride

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »

Will do! Thanks for the help

bpride

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »

Well, I received my 3rd camera yesterday and so far all seems fine!  I set some presets  and started it sweeping last night and it is still going tonight with no issues.  I guess 3 time's the charm! Now all I have to do is get it mounted.  Thanks for the help.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »

Well, I received my 3rd camera yesterday and so far all seems fine!

Cool. And thank you so much for the reply.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.