Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tell me if I am going down the right path  (Read 11998 times)

AccurateOne

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Tell me if I am going down the right path
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »

I am setting up my system. Here is my plan.

Outside lights are C 1-8
Inside Lights are B 1-10
Cameras will be on E 1-3
Chimes will be D 1-2
Motion sensors will be on A 1-6
VCR Commander F 1

I will be setting this up with the ActiveHome software.

Is this the correct way to proceed in setting up the system?

I will appreciate all suggestions.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Tell me if I am going down the right path
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »

I would suggest that you NOT use housecode A for anything in a new X10 installation.

I do use it, but my X10 system dates from the middle 1980's and until AHP came out is when it changed.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »

There isn't a wrong way. Whatever seems right in your mind is [generally speaking] OK.

Many X10 devices come set from the factory at A1. Also if sensor batteries get weak they can default to "A". For those reasons I like to keep the "A house code" set aside for testing. But... since when programming motion sensors... [the House Codes are also counted] it is best to stay in the early letters. (Trying to count out the blinking LED to "letter M" is very difficult).

Some like to use letters that represent they're use. Cameras might use the letter "C". Bedroom lights would use the letter "B". Chimes - C, OutsideLights - O... you get the idea.

I use voice commands, and an Icon remote [mostly] to control devices. But if you plan on using... say a PalmPad remote you may want to consider using your two most used devices on the front and back side of the same code. Meaning if some devices are on 1-8 and the others 9-16 just flipping the switch at the bottom of the PalmPad remote allows for alot of control.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:18:35 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »

One more point. remember that most of the motion sensors also have a Dusk Dawn feature. The same House Code and next Unit Code up from the motion sensor address. In your choice if A1 is motion Dusk Dawn is A2 and an on or off will be sent at dusk and dawn.

AccurateOne

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »

thanks guys keep them coming.

Dave...I read your posts and get excited about the possibilities. I would like to have a voice command system as you describe and in your videos.

Brian...I am confused by the actions of the motion sensors. I guess a lot of trial and error is in my future.

I am going to start with the lights and then work my towards cameras. Then I hope to ease into the BVC.

I want it all!  Oops...Sorry about that......I am already addicted! ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »

Here is a link to the differences in X10 motion sensors. There is a link to each model on the lower part of the page.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Comparison_of_All_Motion_Sensors.

X10 motion sensors have a Dusk Dawn feature. At dusk an X10 On signal is sent to the address House Code and one unit code higher than the address the motion signal is sent to. Like A1 for motion sensing has A2 for the dusk dawn. So at dusk A2 on is sent and at dawn A2 off is sent.
On the chart only the Active Eye can be set to not use the dusk dawn sensor and most packages from X10 don't have that model in it.

The main page for the wiki is:  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

AccurateOne

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

Thanks Brian! That definitely helps.

Oh, by the way. My wife is an excellent cook. She is cooking a 7 course meal this weekend if any of you smart guys want to come over and install my system......uh, I mean have dinner! Ha Ha!

Just kidding. I am looking forward to getting this house automated. It is something I have wanted to do for years now. I appreciate all of the advice and guidance.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »

My first Home Automation project was my Home Theater. And.. at the time it had me a just a tad over my head. I found answers to all my questions and solutions to all my automation problems here at the forum.

I don't think I've ever seen someone here at the forum fail to get there setup running. It is a learning process... but the learning is easy and the outcome a heck of a lot of fun. Keep us informed on your progress. I love to hear about other peoples setups... even when they don't have problems.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.