Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homebase  (Read 15055 times)

jadams77

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Homebase
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »

I have been using a X10 Homebase for the past 15 years.  I'm sure it's an 80's vintage.  I run it on an old DOS computer and has been rock solid until now.  All of a sudden I started getting the following message:  Communication Errors, check connections and/or serial port setup.  I have checked everything that I know of.

The com 1 port is working - verified with another piece of hardware.
The cables have all been tested for continuity.
The battery in the homebase is ok.
I have moved to another computer with the same results.

If anyone is familiar with Homebase and can give me some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.  I probably should update, but my program would take hours to rewrite.

Thanks,

JAdams 

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Homebase
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »

X10 Homebase?  A Google Search reveals nothing. What's that?   I started with X10 in the middle 80's with a CP290 and DOS software.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

jadams77

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »

I believe it's the predessor to the JDS Stargate.  Is it possible to attach a picture to this post?  I can send a photo.  It uses basic like Event Manager if-then-else logic.  Looking at the owners manual it is from Home Control Concepts.  The manual was printed in 1992.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »

What kind of modules does it control?  X10, or something else?  If not X10 technology,  you are stuck.  It's like suddenly jumping 20 years.

jadams77

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:36:11 AM »

Homebase only controls X10 modules.  I'm convinced the problem is in the circuit board.  Unless I can find some technician type that is familiar with it, I'll have to upgrade.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

I suspect upgrading to Active Home Professional (AHP) is your only choice.  One important thing:  When you receive it, it will come with version 3.236, which is a buggy release. To same you a bad impression. before you install it, go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/  and get ahp_updt_204.exe.   Install that.  Once 3.204 is installed, use the update link in AHP to upgrade to 3.228.  Once that is installed you can get your modules set up and apply any timers and macros you need.

Good luck!!!

jadams77

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »

Thanks for the insight Dan, if I don't get any other suggestions on how to repair my unit, I'll upgrade to AHP and ahhh.............downgrade the software.  I bought some security camera stuff from x10 in the past and found that software to be junk.

Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »

Thanks for the insight Dan, if I don't get any other suggestions on how to repair my unit, I'll upgrade to AHP and ahhh.............downgrade the software.  I bought some security camera stuff from x10 in the past and found that software to be junk.

Thanks

Actually Dan has good advice about upgrading to AHP. However your problem with HomeBase may be simple.
JDS HomeBase and Circuit Research "Enerlogic 1400" were similar products (I think. Although I may be confusing the HomeBase with the JDS Time Commander). I had the Enerlogic so offer these guesses based on my Enerlogic and assuming the HomeBase is similar.

A local TV shop may be able to help you.

Does the HomeBase still run its program?

If so, check the serial connector and the interface chip. I think the Enerlogic used a 16550 UART.

If Homebase does not run your "schedule", do the LED's on front panel light?

If not, check output from the wall wart and check power supply components on the PC board. I remember the Enerlogic as having a solder in fuse on the board you might have a simple blown fuse. If fuse is OK , the Enerlogic had a standard 7805 voltage regulator. Look for one on the HomeBase near the power input jack a see if it has 5V dc out the center pin.  Those are the simple checks and least costly if failed.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jadams77

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

I ordered AHP today but would still like to find out the problem with HomeBase.  The program still runs, LED's on the front panel respond to x10 signals so the TW523 and it's connection to HomeBase seems to work fine.  I have checked the serial connector for continuity all the way to the inside of the box.  How can I check the interface chip?  There are 2 chips mounted in sockets.  One is marked with a paper tag that says 'IHS HB Firmware Ver 2.13', the other is a TC55257APL-10.

I may look into the TV repair idea. 

Thanks for your input.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »

The TC552757 is a static ram memory IC.

From the tag information. The other one looks like the firmware eprom.

On a device of that age. I would expect it to have an RS232 Receiver IC and a RS232 Transmitter IC.
Did you see any soldered in chips with a 1488 and 1489 base part number?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »

I have checked the serial connector for continuity all the way to the inside of the box.  How can I check the interface chip?  I may look into the TV repair idea. 

Thanks for your input.
It's pretty unusual to blow a serial interface.
Are you sure the comm port did not get reconfigured by accident? (COMM 1, 2, 3, 4  etc) Comm port configuration on HomeBase must match Comm port configureation in the software on on the computer. My Enerlogic defaulted to Comm 2 but could be forced to 1, 3, or 4.

If that is correct, I would simply look for the easy. Since the RS232 connector (serial connector) is subject to mechanical stress I would inspect the solder joints. Then, look for chips with the numbers Brian and I gave. This is where you will probably need the TV repair shop because you need an oscilloscope, or logic analyzer to look for activity on the pins. You also need to have the serial link active, trying to communicate with a PC. But again, it is pretty hard to blow these out. Maybe static if you live in dry climate and touched the pins in the connector.

jadams77

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »

Attached is a photo of the board with the IC's identified as best I could.  I have tried to change the com ports from the software and none work.  As I said, I have verified the com port is working with other hardware and have tried another computer.  I really appreciate all the ideas you guys have suggested.  I'll try anything you think is worthwhile.

Thanks

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:10:18 PM »

That's very interesting.   The CP290 was a simple plug-in unit that hooked to a Com Port and had no exposed circuity, just a cable that had a port that plugged into the 290 and a Com Port on the other end. No fuss, no muss.  It was mid-1980's as well. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »

Attached is a photo of the board with the IC's identified as best I could.  I have tried to change the com ports from the software and none work.  As I said, I have verified the com port is working with other hardware and have tried another computer.  I really appreciate all the ideas you guys have suggested.  I'll try anything you think is worthwhile.

Thanks
The chip labelled "9226B is probably the serial line interface. I believe 9226 is a date code, not the chip number. However it is in line with the RJ11 connector labeled "RS232"  flip the board and follow the traces from the RJ11 connector, do they go to the "9226"? There should be other numbers on the 9226B chip, 9226 isn't a common IC number (?).

I checked the other P/N. The 80C31 is the micro, 5525 is memory, 74 573 is octal latch (flip flop), 74240 is a buffer/driver,  17705 is a modem (what is that "Port 1" connection? The 7805 is voltage regulator.  Any of those chips failing would do more that just stop your serial connection, so my "WAG" is that 9226.

jadams77

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

The chip I labled 9226B does have another number.  MAX232 CPE and you are correct, the traces go to the RJ11 (RS232).  The RJ11 labled 'Port1' is labled AUX on the outside of the case.  The manual does not give any details as to what that is used for.  Following those traces, they go to the 74240.

Is the 232 chip available if I decide to replace it?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.