Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: S.A.R.A.  (Read 72616 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
S.A.R.A.
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »

This is still a bit newish and under development... but I am anxious to share this. As the regulars here know I've been using, enjoying, and sharing Bill's Voice Commander here (and at YouTube) for some time. I even have a BVC Fan Site.. as I enjoy spreading the word of what can be done with this stuff.

The control concept of BVC was inspired by the famous StarTrek computer. But recently the far less well known Eureka (cable TV series) concept of an Automated Home has captured my imagination.

I have been (successfully) working on Occupancy Sensing as a way to better intergrate BVC with the X10 AHP software to have a Eureka style Home centered computer controlled automation... with speech recognition as the interface. I am calling this new concept S.A.R.A. for Smart Articulate Responsive Automation. Of course... I have a S.A.R.A. YouTube Video as well as a New S.A.R.A. Web Page (I've even published some Macros for Download).

I am excited about this new way of using BVC and expanding my HA setup. I invite all BVC users to join me in this.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:08:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: S.A.R.A.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:48:57 AM »

Darn you!   >*<

Now that you've "outed" the S.A.R.A. concept, I guess I have to get off (or is that on) my behind and write more code!   B:(

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »

Now that you've "outed" the S.A.R.A. concept, I guess I have to get off (or is that on) my behind and write more code! 

I am still progressing along. I just posted my newest addition to the SARA concept (the two motion sensor light). I know (sooner or later) you will have some helpful code that will accelerate this concept along. But for now.... I am amazed with just how easily this is progressing. This S.A.R.A. concept has changed my way of thinking about HOW to automate.

Today, while getting "in touch with my inner MacGuyver". I went to the hardware store for some 1 1/2 #8 screws. When I left.. the HA computer realized the home was empty and set the alarm. The home being empty... also satisfied the condition of a macro for a PR511 motion sensor. Which means even though it was daylight (the motion sensor no longer turns on lights) any uninvited guests snooping around.. would get a warning that they are being video monitored. Just like my night time video.

The cost of an insurance deductable alone... would reimburse much of (if not more than) the cost of my home security stuff.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:14:49 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:22 AM »

This S.A.R.A. project has really got me thinking.  With SARA forwarding telephone calls, and setting the alarm,  why not get a thermostat setback controller and have SARA adjust the heat as well?

SARA gives us a practical use for HA and moves it beyond the coolness factor to something that becomes a necessity. 

Wouldn't it be neat to trigger a roomba when you're not home?

I'd love to come home from a hard day at work, have PC Companion sense the outdoor temperature and have the house light the fire and turn on my lights.  Maybe even fire up my computer and have my email waiting for me.

SARA is the most innovative use for HA since BVC, and ties a lot of the third party software posted at this forum together nicely.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:41:07 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

This S.A.R.A. project has really got me thinking.  With SARA forwarding telephone calls, and setting the alarm,  why not get a thermostat setback controller and have SARA adjust the heat as well?

The set-back thermostat was part of my original list in my Occupancy Sensing. Then S.A.R.A. sorta grew out of that.

The SARA concept has been real game-changer for my HA setup.... and I wasn't actually expecting that. Even though I had played around with The Automated Chair at one time... I hadn't seen the real advantages of Occupancy detection.

I had used a confirmation macro with BVC sometime ago. The simple concept is a Voice Command triggers a macro that turns ON a fake module delays for a few seconds or a minute then turns the same fake module OFF. That fake module would be the condition for another macro... and its turning ON would be heard by a BVC listener. The listener would ask (Voice Announce) for a confirmation. The confirmation: or "Yes start my computer" can THEN.. be setup in BVC as a "non command phrase required" custom command. But the phrase would only work during the short period time the fake module remains ON.

So changing that to occupancy triggered... when you return home from work (your detection + a time condition) AHP can trigger the conditional macro and then BVC ask "Knightrider, would you like your computer turned on?” You could mumble no or say nothing. Or you could say “Yes, KITT start my computer” and complete the conditional part of the macro.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:04:19 AM by Dave_x10_L »

iV

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Me, since i'm working with X10 products :)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »

Hello everybody !!!  :)+

I'm a X10 user since 2004 but I didn't come in here since 2006 and quite sadly, it's looking like that nothing evolve much  :(

Except for third party software, like bill's BVC.

Getting back to the threat subject. I am very interested in Dave's project S.A.R.A. The work that Dave's done on occupancy is awesome, the first step through this new direction.

I've ordered some new equipment (USB-UIRT) and my personal first step will be to get a nice welcome when i come in the kitchen at 6 in the morning.

Here how i see it:

• motion sensor detecting me entering the kitchen
  • Some light are turn on (depending of sunset, of course)
  • Good morning Yves
  • the temperature is at 40 and Sunny. This afternoon we will have some rain
  • Your coffee has been ready for X minutes, would you like to listen to the TV or Radio
  • TV please
  • Want to listen to good morning America ?
  • No, channel 43

I think that you got the idea :)

I like the idea of Dave to get SARA in a proactive mode instead of a reactive mode.

Looking forward to interact with you all !!!!

iV

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »

• motion sensor detecting me entering the kitchen
  • Some light are turn on (depending of sunset, of course)
  • Good morning Yves
  • the temperature is at 40 and Sunny. This afternoon we will have some rain
  • Your coffee has been ready for X minutes, would you like to listen to the TV or Radio
  • TV please
  • Want to listen to good morning America ?
  • No, channel 43

I like your list!!!

I use a PR511 floodlight (the dusk/dawn setting) to turn nightlights On/Off. Actually I use a timer to turn them On/Off too. So nightlights come On at dusk... Off at a 11:59... On at 5 AM Off at dawn. The nightlights are LED's in SocketRockets.... enough light... very low cost to run.

I use an "Eye" sensor in the kicthen near the coffee... on the wifes birthday. BVC sings to her.

I use WeatherAloud for my weather info.... but it's a bit wordy. I think Tuicemen has a weather software (check here in third party software).

Turning on TV's and radios are easy with the IR. Having the computer ask.... is a great place for a confirmation macro. A conditional macro that runs for only a short period of time. Allowing a one word to act as the confirmation... I need to write more on that.

Thanks for the nice words about S.A.R.A., I really do think this is the direction for HA to follow. We really have the writters at Eureka to thank.

Tuicemen is working on a program now (I am Beta testing it as I type) called BlueWatch. It will (hopefully) detect the presence of your BlueTooth cellphone. Making OS really cheap and easy. I already have it turning off my alarm for me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:31:48 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »

Turning on TV's and radios are easy with the IR. Having the computer ask.... is a great place for a confirmation macro. A conditional macro that runs for only a short period of time. Allowing a one word to act as the confirmation... I need to write more on that.

I had created an Automated Chair sometime ago... it's problem was seeing if an appliance was already On or Not. Who wants to asked if they would like to have a TV turned On... if it's already On.

Recently I put a power sensing "smart power strip" On the wife's PC. If senses if the "main plug" is using power and switches On (or Off) the remaining plugs. I use it to turn her monitor and printer On/Off. It could also except a powerflash unit... to tell the Home Automation PC if the device(s) are On/Off (except that device is kinda noisy).

JeffVolp is also working on an X10 sending device like that.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »

Just building on Dave's thoughts........

While we realize it or not, AHP is moving forward, but not by the company -- by third party software AND hardware.

With the help of:

Dave_X10_L, Tuicemen, Jeff Volp, -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) and others (PJ GUY and his arm/disarm functionality),  X10 Automation is boldly going where is never has gone before.

I therefore, proclaim my disappointment with the X10 programmers and my humble thanks to those who keep the ball rolling.

Thanks Guys!   #:)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:19:58 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »

While we realize it or not, AHP is moving forward, but not by the company -- by third party software AND hardware.

Your so right!!! Our resident Software programmers... and contributers (like yourself Knightrider) have really taken the ball and ran with it.

However there is so much... that is yet to be done. So many new technologies.. that still haven't been exploited for Home Automation use.

iV

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Me, since i'm working with X10 products :)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »

Software development at no cost.....  #:)

X10 have probably just one programmer left. As i was saying last time, i had played with X10 was in 2006 and 3 years later nothing has evolved on their part  :'

so let's get back on the thread subject  ::)

OK Dave, your making my project looks easy  :)%

Turning on TVs and radios are easy with the IR. Having the computer ask.... is a great place for a confirmation macro. A conditional macro that runs for only a short period of time. Allowing a one word to act as the confirmation... I need to write more on that.

Would you send me an example of a macro that can do that, i would save a lot of time  :'

Thanks.... And big time thank you to the third party developers..

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »

And I am now Beta testing Tuicemen's soon-to-be-released newest software. I have my cell phone automatically disarming my alarm system when I return home... and turning ON my perimeter detection system when I leave. AND MUCH MORE.

His software is apply named BlueWatch and you can read more about it here. If your a AHP automater.. and a devoted cell phone user and your phone has BlueTooth... this can be an easy way into Occupany Sensing.

Seeing this software work was a real WOO HOO moment for me. Now without me DOING anthing.. my home (HA PC) knows where I am at (or not at) and can act accordingly. This is cool stuff! This software is certain to be part of my SARA project.

davideinmd

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »

Guess it's time to upgrade to a bluetooth phone. I'm so in the dark ages!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »

There are some BlueTooth mp3 players out there like the Motorola Sound Pilot(I've seen them cheeper), should work as well!
Any BlueTooth device that sends a steady discovery code will work even a BlueTooth enabled Notebook if it is on!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »

Guess it's time to upgrade to a bluetooth phone. I'm so in the dark ages!

If you don't upgrade for the Home Automation (like that isn't a good enough reason) upgrade for safety's sake. Lets face it... I rarely need my cell phone when eating dinner (that is when salespeople call). I receive most cell calls when driving my car. A BlueTooth (handsfree) device can make that much safer.

BTW... I have a BlueWatch Video posted at YouTube now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.