Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smarthome Quite Applience Module  (Read 22120 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Smarthome Quite Applience Module
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »

Anyone know if these are still available thinking about hooking one up to my new electric mattress pad, to warm up things a little before I turn in and after the heat automatically lowers for the night. I dont know why X10 never came up with one of these the quite type I have the "Loud Click" type made by X10 but I know they used to make these but couldn't find them on their website. Thanks and happy holidays!!

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Smarthome Quite Applience Module
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »

The X10 only 2000 Series ApplianceLincs are no longer available, at least from Smarthome. Maybe some EBay or Automation dealers may have some.

The Insteon 2456S3 and Icon 2856S3B are current modules. Both can have an X10 Primary Address added to them. The 2456S3 can also have X10 Scenes Added to them. If you have a way of sending the programming codes; of House Codes only. Primary X10 address can be done with just the set button on the module.

tom j

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »

The X10 only 2000 Series ApplianceLincs are no longer available, at least from Smarthome. Maybe some EBay or Automation dealers may have some.

The Insteon 2456S3 and Icon 2856S3B are current modules. Both can have an X10 Primary Address added to them. The 2456S3 can also have X10 Scenes Added to them. If you have a way of sending the programming codes; of House Codes only. Primary X10 address can be done with just the set button on the module.

Ok great then if I order one I can program it to accept an x10 code for example D11? and why do you think X10 hasn't come out with a quite appliance module bet they would sell a bunch! Thanks

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »

Yes all of mine have an X10 Primary Address and Scene Address in them. Though my main control of them is Insteon through a Universal Devices ISY99i.
My X10 Palm Pad and a few other X10 controllers still see use.

On their web site are links to the modules manuals. So you can look them over.
Adding a Primary Address is easy and you can turn Local Control on and off. Though the actual very small sensing current is still on the outlet.

Compare the Icon and Insteon versions. The Icon is less expensive and has a few less features; but maybe all you would need.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:32:36 PM by Brian H »

tom j

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »

Yes all of mine have an X10 Primary Address and Scene Address in them. Though my main control of them is Insteon through a Universal Devices ISY99i.

Adding a Primary Address is easy and you can turn Local Control on and off. Though the actual very small sensing current is still on the outlet.

Compare the Icon and Insteon versions. The Icon is less expensive and has a few less features; but maybe all you would need.

Really Really appreciate the help! Guess I've been out of the loop for a while got some tech catching up to do.Going to start as soon as I get over this dang cold, just can't seem to concentrate when you're all stuffed up.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

Hi Brian , waned to get back sooner but I've been under the weather, cold I guess. Say bring me up to speed here can you combine these two protocols x10 and Insteon? and is the advantage of Insteon that it sends two signal one powerline and one RF. I think that's what I read. Only thing with Insteon is that I've only seem remotes that control maybe four modules where with x10 remote you can basically control 16 per housecode, is this correct?? Guess I got some catching up to do. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »

Yes Insteon and X10 can be used together.

Completely different protocols but I have both X10 and Insteon modules in my setup. Insteon signal are passed from one to the next until the receiving module responds that the signal was received. Insteon modules with an X10 address do not repeat the X10 signals.

The Insteon modules can also have an X10 address added to them so they can also respond to X10 commands.

There is a missconception about Insteon. Most Insteon Modules use power line signals and do not also do RF. There are separate RF only devices. Now they are just releasing some new modules that have both the power line and an RF sender together. So far only a lamp module is being sold with Dual Mesh.

The six button remote can control up to 417 devices in theory; as you can link as many Insteon Devices to each button as you desire. Some modules can also be linked to more than one button. Like I have one lamp in my den on a button and all three light in the den on another button.

X10 has 256 addresses. Sixteen House Codes and sixteen Unit Codes.
Insteon modules have a six digit hard coded Hex Address and it is 1 of 16,777,216.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:28:40 PM by Brian H »

tom j

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »

Yes Insteon and X10 can be used together.

Completely different protocols but I have both X10 and Insteon modules in my setup. Insteon signal are passed from one to the next until the receiving module responds that the signal was received. Insteon modules with an X10 address do not repeat the X10 signals.

The Insteon modules can also have an X10 address added to them so they can also respond to X10 commands.

There is a missconception about Insteon. Most Insteon Modules use power line signals and do not also do RF. There are separate RF only devices. Now they are just releasing some new modules that have both the power line and an RF sender together. So far only a lamp module is being sold with Dual Mesh.

The six button remote can control up to 417 devices in theory; as you can link as many Insteon Devices to each button as you desire. Some modules can also be linked to more than one button. Like I have one lamp in my den on a button and all three light in the den on another button.

X10 has 256 addresses. Sixteen House Codes and sixteen Unit Codes.
Insteon modules have a six digit hard coded Hex Address and it is 1 of 16,777,216.  ;D

Hi Brian! say couple of things I got the following off the Insteon website they seem to say that the technology uses both RF and powerline signals, so I'm still a little confused. Also I understand that you can control multiple devices but they have to share the same button (housecode?? not sure of the terminology with Insteon) I have for example 16 different house codes on one of my x10 remotes does Insteon remotes allow you to control more the 6 individual devices. I know for example you can control multiple devices with each remote but don't they have to be assigned to the same button. Hope I'm making myself clear. Thanks!

Tom j.

What makes INSTEON the most reliable home automation technology is its dual-mesh network. The "dual" part of the network refers to INSTEON devices using both radio frequency signals and the home's existing electrical wiring to talk to each other. Every message is confirmed as it is received, and if any errors are detected, the message is automatically resent.

Unlike all other mesh networks, INSTEON's "mesh" network has EVERY INSTEON DEVICE acting as a repeater -- receiving and sending every message to all other devices on the network. So instead of stressing the network by adding more INSTEON devices, you actually strengthen it. Other mesh networks use router tables, and only those products involved in routing the signal act as repeaters – creating a less reliable network.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »

Well most Insteon modules do no have both RF and power line signaling in them.
The new dual mesh lamp module is one of the first RF and Power Line modules they have released.

All of them do act as repeaters on the power line.

The Access Point module is a Dual Mesh device. It can repeat commands on the power line and send an RF signal to other Access Points. To bridge the phases and cover areas with poor power line signals.

Smarthome has come under much criticism for its description of all modules are dual mesh; in some of the Automation Forums.
In this case I believe the repeat of power line signal is what they are referring to for modules. RF to bridge phases and extend coverage to far reaching areas. Their white paper on Insteon seems to say it that way. RF by Access Point (or early SignaLinc RF) and repeated power line by modules.

Insteon modules link to each other. Some can act as a controller and responder. Some as a controller only or responder only. Technically you could link 417 devices to one button.  :P

Yes a module can be linked to more than one button and each button could have a different mix of modules assigned to it.

One BIG point. Though any setup can be done with the mechanical set buttons on the modules. In complex setups it gets to be a BIG CHORE. Most then have to get a hardware interface and software to do it.

While X10 can sell you a complete AHP system with all the software for $49.99. My UDI ISY99i with Insteon PLM is around $349.00
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:34:18 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.