Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: FREE - public beta of iHouse  (Read 108446 times)

yancy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: FREE - public beta of iHouse
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »

If only iHouse could download macros and timers into the CM15A.

What would be the purpose?

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »

For users that what or need to disconnect from their pc and plug into another outlet closer to the center of their system.  That way they don't have to run a server 24/7.  They can just have everything loaded into the cm15 and plug it in anywhere.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »

Hi hawk,

I was under the impression that you have to have a pc running 24/7 for iHouse because everything is done from the app and that you don't upload anything to the CM15A.

Am I off track?

r,
eagle

yancy

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

Eagle,

As I understand it, iHouse is meant to be run 24/7, at least from the iHouse server.  There is also a lot of added functionality in iHouse, as well as some undiscovered capabilities with it's Macro functionality, that can't be ported to the CM15, or wouldn't even work without a running PC.  One very key example is the Camera functionality, and the ability to start recording to your hard drive.  There is no need to utilize the old X10 VCR Recording functionality (who uses VCR's anymore?).

That was the basis for my previous question as to why still use the CM15 download.

If you are looking at the traditional CM15 approach, running it offline from a PC, AHP can still be used to program it for those purposes.

IMHO.

eagle

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »

Thanks yancy.

That is how I understand iHouse operates.

Yes, it would be nice if iHouse had the ability to download macros and timers to the CM15A but you never know .... if x10 was able to do it, I'm confident tjtrolinger can do the same.  :)

I actually have downloaded iHouse and will be testing it this weekend.

Even at its current state, it appears to be a superb complement/replacement to AHP and related plug-ins.

What's a big, big, big plus to me is the fact that the developer tjtrolinger along with itguy are actively fielding and responding to questions, requests, and feedback.   So, we know that any issues we might have will be addressed and won't fall to deaf ears.

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:25:19 AM by eagle »

hawk1

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »

Yes, Ihouse is a server 24/7 home automation system.  I was just answering a question WHY users would want to download to the cm15.  I always have my cm15 connected to my pc for camera functions and I like turning things on and off from my pc.  But.... some users don't like to do this or have other reasons why they want to disconnect. (range issues, etc....)

eagle

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »

Thank you sir.  :)

r,
eagle

hawk1

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »

Your Welcome.   >!

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »

Setting it up to do that shouldn't be that hard.  If you've ever looked at the myhouse.ahx file in a text editor, you would see that it is just a simple XML file that stores your rooms, modules, and macros.  This file is easy to use in an xml parser, I don't see why it would be hard to add modules and macros to it.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

hawk1

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »

Still need a way to download to the cm15.   B:(

ttrolinger

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »

All, I am humbled by all the discussion of iHouse here. I am very happy that many of you that have tried it are making good use of the software.

I thought I would jump in here to say that downloading macros to the CM15A is not currently a feature nor likely will it be in the future. The reason, as already described  by a few here, is that that would limit iHouse macro functionality to only those things the CM15A was designed to do. As most of you know, there also haven’t been any enhancements to the CM15X for years now. Additionally, back when the CM15A was developed, computers were expensive and there was a very good reason for having a dedicated hardware device to run the macros as to not tying up a single computer for those tasks. Today, you can buy a used Netbook computer for not much more than the original price of the CM15A and AHP years ago (and it’s not much bigger either, lol). Considering all of this, I decided to build iHouse to run as a server 24/7 and focus my development efforts on better features over legacy compatibility. This gives the application all the power and flexibility of the entire operating system  and not just the embedded processor/firmware inside the CM15A.

If all of that is not convincing enough, the iHouse macros can’t do ZWave from inside with the CM15A. 

Best Regards To All and Happy Automating!
TJ

yancy

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »

TJ,

I'm on board with your approach and since I am taking advantage of the iHouse macro capabilities, I wouldn't want you to scale back that functionality just to be able to download to the CM15a.  An I do intenct to utilize some zWave devices in the future, such as the thermostat control.

For those that still want the old CM15 functionality, there isn't any reason you can't use AHP to build your macros and devices and download to the CM15.  However, IMHO this is only a valid approach if you do not have your computer running 24/7.  If you are running it 24/7, there is no reason you can't run iHouse 24/7 and have all the functionality and more through it.

As an aside, I've been running my main PC that I use 24/7 for years, without any issues.  Even the rare power outage is taken care of with the systems configuration to autopower up when power returns.  With remote control functionality, I can check on it any time and if an app did not load or the system didn't log in properly, I can correct it when away from home.

One man's opinion/experience......

eagle

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 01:54:33 AM »

I echo yancy's sentiments.

Please continue full speed ahead with the development and don't let the discussions here about the CM15A distract you. 

I too use a dedicated pc for home automation, so being able to download to the CM15A via iHouse is not critical if/when I transition to iHouse completely.  I think some were just expressing some thoughts that it would be nice for a scaled down backup via CM15A for minimal functions.

Thanks and keep up the good work TJ!

r,
eagle

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »

For those that still want the old CM15 functionality, there isn't any reason you can't use AHP to build your macros and devices and download to the CM15.  However, IMHO this is only a valid approach if you do not have your computer running 24/7. 

Whereas I do agree.. that without a running a HA PC... any user is really only about half automated. Without the real processing and intergrating power of a PC... the automation capabilities can be really nice... but limited.

But However limited the CM15A stored macro actions and timers may seem. If I was to lose the HA PC due to a mechanical failure... I would still have automation. (With that said... I should mention I also keep a back-up PC. It is configured and ready to bring online if needed)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »

I hope no one took my earlier post as we absolutely need to download to the cm15.  I like most users use a 24/7 automation pc.  I agree not having a pc for automation is like having a car without tires!   rofl  So far I am very impressed with Ihouse and the amount of support I get from not only the developer TJ but from ITguy and other users!  When ever there is a challenge everybodys on it and it gets resolved quickly!  So far In my eyes Ihouse ROCKS!  Keep trucking TJ and ITguy and I'll help anyway I can. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.