Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: [AHP ADD-ON] BlueWatch (Control via BlueTooth or WIFI Detection)  (Read 306559 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: [AHP ADD-ON] BlueWatch (Control via BlueTooth or WIFI Detection)
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

Tuicemens...
Perfection accomplished!  TYVM for the update!

Glad you approve! ;) :D

Still not 100% satisfied myself although it does work flawless for me too. :)
I still need to add a few more options.
I've found some other drivers that look promising for pinging! (many will be happy to hear that) not sure if they will work with an iphone though. ::) :'
I'm not sure if I can add it into BlueWatch with out creating a mess. ::) :'
I tried substituting the drivers but it looks like it may require a total rewrite  B:( or at least 80%. :(
Some good news I should have the trial version of BlueWatch ready for this evening baring any set backs. ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cantbreak80

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »

Ah yes…iPhone and BT.

Apparently, Apple allows tethering for www access via 3G…but AT&T won’t for USA subscribers due to concerns about swamping the network.

The only BT service available for USA iPhone users is audio and earpiece pairing.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »

......... Some good news I should have the trial version of BlueWatch ready for this evening baring any set backs.

I spent the day... and some of yesterday.. rewiring my camera setup. I've removed the wireless sender/receivers (VK82A) from the system... but it still needs work. Plus I have one camera I need to replace. It is a bit of effort... but well worth it... to get BlueWatch back in service here.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »

The only BT service available for USA iPhone users is audio and earpiece pairing.
Many smartphones have limited services  ::) :'
If I can get this other driver working it allows for lots of service options!

Dave_x10_L I thought you would have had that done long agosince you like to play with wires! rofl

At any rate here's the BlueWatch_Trial for any one that wants to give it a spin! ;)
Users are limited to 1 BT device to watch and only for 1 hour then it needs restarting. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »

cantbreak80 mentioned about the cat5 USB extenders, another option is to chain some active USB extension cables together.
With standard USB cables, you have a limit of 5 M which is ~16 feet before the signal loss is too great for a reliable connection.  Anything over 16 feet requires an active USB cable which has a signal booster at the end of it.  This signal booster will slightly amplify the signal to prevent loss.
Here are some pros and cons to each.

cat5 USB extender:
PROS:
Range - as cantbreak80 mentioned, you can extend up to 50 M which is 164 Ft.  If you have a long run to do I would go this route
Easy to set up - for those of you that do not know how to make a cat5 cable to the length you need, you can cheat and buy a pre-fabed cable.  Then just plug the dongles on each end and you're ready to go.
Wire can be easier to run - cat5 wire is small and can be strung through a pretty small hole to get it where you need it.

CONS:
Price - If you don't have a long distance to run, the price for the dongles, wire, and small stuff to do it this way can be expensive.
Hardware issues - If you have issues with your dongles and need to replace them it can get costly since you will probably end up buying a new set of extenders.

Active extension cables:
PROS:
Price - You can get 16 Ft active USB extension cables for around $10 - $15 possibly cheaper on Ebay.  For shorter runs this is a cheaper solution.
Easy to connect - If you are running a cable 30 ft from your computer, plug one end into the computer, plug the 2 cables together, and plug your BT module at the end an you're done.

CONS:
Chaining cables together - When using active USB cables, lengths over 16 feet require you to chain cables together.  If the cables come unchained at any point, bam, loss of signal.
Limited to 80 feet - 80 feet of active cables equals 5 cables.  You have potentially 5 fail points.

Hope this information helps many.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »

Chaining cables together - When using active USB cables, lengths over 16 feet require you to chain cables together.  If the cables come unchained at any point, bam, loss of signal.
Limited to 80 feet - 80 feet of active cables equals 5 cables.  You have potentially 5 fail points.

Are you sure about chaining several USB cables together? I thought you'd hit a wall... somewhere around 16-20 feet. Have you tried this with a dongle?

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »

This is a quote from a company currently selling one on Amazon.
The overall cable length can be extended up to 80 feet by daisy chaining up to 5 of these active cables.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U026-016-Certified-Extension/dp/B0002D6QJO

Dan B.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:39:42 PM by dbemowsk »
Dan Bemowski

HA Dave

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U026-016-Certified-Extension/dp/B0002D6QJO

I see. Thank you for sharing that. I hadn't even heard the term "active usb"... that is completely new to me.

yancy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »

Since I've just started using all my extra X10 components after having them dormant for quite some time, I'm playing catch up to most of you here.  Stating the obvious, this BlueWatch app opens up many possibilities.  Here are 2 thoughts I'd like to share that may pan out:

1 - I saw some earlier posts asking about adding wifi.  Range is an obvious benefit.  Then I ran across x10ping.  I ran a quick test and sure enough I was able to get it to recognize when my iPhone wifi was on and trigger a macro.  Same when it was off.  I've only played with it briefly but if this is reliable it sure extends the range over bluetooth.  Has anyone else tried x10ping?  Could it be incorporated into BlueWatch as another option?

2 - Dave_x10_L may have already started thinking about this as part of his Occupancy Sensing capability in S.A.R.A, but how about wiring a unique proximity sensor, bluetooth based, to each room of the house?  Think of each room much like a Cell in a traditional cellular network.  As you move to the edge of one cell and transition to the next, the "Tower" (Proximity Sensor) in the previous cell no longer communicates to you but the "Tower" (Proximity Sensor) in the new cell picks up your communication.  Is there a way to do the same with bluetooth?  Does this make sense to anyone?

HA Dave

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »

2 - Dave_x10_L may have already started thinking about this as part of his Occupancy Sensing capability in S.A.R.A, but how about wiring a unique proximity sensor, bluetooth based, to each room of the house?  Think of each room much like a Cell in a traditional cellular network.  As you move to the edge of one cell and transition to the next, the "Tower" (Proximity Sensor) in the previous cell no longer communicates to you but the "Tower" (Proximity Sensor) in the new cell picks up your communication.  Is there a way to do the same with bluetooth?  Does this make sense to anyone?

Triangulate! Seems to me Microsoft triangulates RFID in their "house of the future" or "concept house" or whatever they call it (as well as Bill's own home). A little rich... and complex for me. But a great idea!!

I recently picked up an alarm mat at Harbor Freight Tools.. and have been playing with using it connected to a DS10A to detect someone sitting in a chair.
I will also be testing a power-sensor connected to a wall-wart... powering (or not) a powerflash module. I think I can use that to determend if a TV is on or not.
I was thinking... if the HA PC knows if I am home or not (and it now does!)... a TV, lights, or a motion sensor should give away my location.

Thanks for reading my Pages!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:54:12 AM by Dave_x10_L »

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »

OK, I was tooling around the net today for a bluetooth amplifier or repeater and I found a device that takes bluetooth proximity sensing to new heights.  Here is the unit http://the-gadgeteer.com/2007/09/03/aircable_host_xr_long_range_bluetooth_dongle/ It claims to have a range of 1 kilometer or 0.6 miles (using the supplied SHORT antenna). I am guessing it would be less if I had it tucked away in my basement, but can you imagine if your HA system could see you coming 1/2 mile away.  NOW THAT'S PROXIMITY DETECTION. 

Forget active USB cables and cat5 USB extenders.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski

HA Dave

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »

.......... I found a device that takes bluetooth proximity sensing to new heights.  Here is the unit http://the-gadgeteer.com/2007/09/03/aircable_host_xr_long_range_bluetooth_dongle/

It just keeps getting better and better doesn't it! The more options the better.

I just completed hardwiring my camera setup last night (no more interference problems). I have one wireless camera yet to replace... but it's cold [and snowy] outside. The other wireless camera I am still able to use by relocating the receiver and hard wiring back to my hub.

I reinstalled BlueWatch on my HA PC and also moved the BlueTooth Dongle (via 10 and 6 foot USB cords). I can now detect my Cell Phone... even in the garage.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:45:08 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »

1 - I saw some earlier posts asking about adding wifi.  Range is an obvious benefit.  Then I ran across x10ping.  I ran a quick test and sure enough I was able to get it to recognize when my iPhone wifi was on and trigger a macro.  Same when it was off.  I've only played with it briefly but if this is reliable it sure extends the range over bluetooth.  Has anyone else tried x10ping?  Could it be incorporated into BlueWatch as another option?

Yes I played with it!
I never thought of simply pinging a network IP! B:(
The more I get into programing the more difficult I tend to make things for myself! rofl
If X10Ping works why add the option to BlueWatch ???
It is doable!
What would be the difference/benefit of using BlueWatch over X10Ping?  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cantbreak80

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »

Long range detection may have its place but I’m being confounded with it now.

My problem is this:
When I leave my house, my “Away” macro is triggered by my garage door closing.  It looks for my occupied Flag (F2).
If F2 is ON the Away macro does not run.

And, because I have BW Dual Loss option active with 20 second scan…well, I have to get my car out on the street…then.
wait upwards of 40 seconds for BT signal loss…then, close the garage door.  (Do you know just how long 40 seconds is when
you're waiting for it to pass?)

I’m still tinkering with the BT dongle positioning and wracking my brain to come up with a different trigger or macro...
Maybe I should just change the trigger to F2 OFF.  Humm…

(Sometimes just writing these posts makes the solution obvious…anybody else have that experience?)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »

cantbreak80: You should be able to cut your BlueWatch detect time back to the defalt if your using the dual loss detect. Which will cut your wait time in half!  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.