Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ActiveHome Pro - Windows 7  (Read 17104 times)

sk1pmcgee

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
ActiveHome Pro - Windows 7
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »

I had a lot fo problems with Vanguard and Windows 7 now i took the plunge and bought activehomepro with iwitness.....I reverted to windows xp but havent installed activehome pro yet.....is windows xp and AHP more stable then Windows 7 and AHP.

Any tips....

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: ActiveHome Pro - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »

Actually, with Windows 7 you can have a XP mode that works just like XP did.   Try it and see.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium the XP mode is not available. It is only with Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7  Ultimate Editions.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium the XP mode is not available. It is only with Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7  Ultimate Editions.

Not true.  We just gave my father-in-law a new HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium on it and my cousin's husband (who works in the Pc industry set it up for him (he's 85 and only has rudimentary computer skills) and he configured it to work in XP mode since Dad's old laptop had XP on it and Dad would not have to learn a new O/S.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »

I just checked. Microsoft says XP mode is only in Professional and Ultimate. Could be an XP compatibility mode setting that you are thinking of.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:01:58 PM by Brian H »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

Microsoft is known for bad info.  My cousin's husband did it.   It looks and acts just like XP did, including the XP Start Menu.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

I just checked. Microsoft says XP mode is only in Professional and Ultimate.

That's my understanding too.  From Micrsoft, "Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop."

To use virtual mode, including downloading/installing virtual XP, one needs not only Win 7 Prof or Ultimate, but also a CPU that supports hardware virtualization.   All this will allow one to "publish" (Microsoft' term for it) an XP only application into the Win 7 desktop.

There is an older, software only, virtual PC, that works with other Windows versions, which is not really the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:05:37 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »

I have the Home Premium Edition  and I can't find Xp mode anywhere. B:(
Even the Windows 7 box\Packaging states it isn't available in the Home Premium edition. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

There are also Themes that one can download to make it look like XP.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »

Just to throw in a relevant, I believe, example...

I am still using ActiveHome 2 and my CM14A.  Unfortunately, ActiveHome 2 only works under Windows 9x (fails even under XP).   Because of this, I have had to keep an old computer running Windows 98SE, just for the occasional need to update or reprogram my CM14A.

Well, as mentioned, I have Windows 7 Pro, and this past weekend I dusted off my old CD and installed Windows ME as a virtual machine.  It was pretty easy and straight forward.  I can boot a copy of Windows ME as a window within Windows 7.

In that Windows ME, I installed a copy of ActiveHome 2. 

It works!   :)%

ActiveHome 2 can connect directly thru the COM1: port to my CM14A, and communicate without a single problem.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »

Hmmmm.  What is ActiveHome 2 and the CM14A?   Never heard of either.   There's Active Home and the CM11A serial interface and Active Home Professional or AHP and the USB CM15A interface.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »

Dan; Seems to have been between the CM11A and the CM15A AHP.

http://www.homeautomationforum.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000009.html

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »

Hmmmm.  What is ActiveHome 2 and the CM14A?   Never heard of either.   There's Active Home and the CM11A serial interface and Active Home Professional or AHP and the USB CM15A interface.

Kind-of take the CM15A, add a built-in learning universal remote (for direct video and audio control too) plus a much better RF (stronger) transceiver, but since it is older, it has an RS232 interface.

ActiveHome 2 is the software to control it, and IMHO, has a much better and command richer macro language than ActiveHome Pro.

It never made it out of test for reasons never really disclosed (I assume a patent problem).  So, since it is unsupported, it only runs under Win 9x.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »

Where did it come from?  A Google search gives you 10 pages of useless links.  I never heard of ActiveHome 2 and the CM14A before these posts.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »

Where did it come from? 

Mike C, back when he use to be at X10.

Like I said, it never made it out of test, though the Pres. of X10 showed it off at a press interview once (since then, it wasn't confidential anymore).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.