Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.  (Read 4056 times)

Brian H

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 301
  • Posts: 13094
Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »

I was moving things around, connecting and disconnecting things and got a slight shock when I touched the AC Input Pins on an XPPF filter.
Luck of the draw. It must have been unplugged when the AC was near 120 volts and the parallel capacitors [three of them totaling 1.69 uf] where charged. No load on the output. So my fingers did the discharging.  rofl
I am sure the XPPF is not the only filter with a capacitor across the line. So use care.  ;)
Logged

dave w

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 138
  • Posts: 6112
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

I once discharged a television picture tube. I still ain't right from that.  ;D
Logged
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 301
  • Posts: 13094
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »

Back in the Tube TV days. I got my meter lead too close to the horizontal output tube cap.  ::) Meter went to a zero point of mid scale.

When working on a two way radio. The owner decided to call the base while I was fixing his antenna. 130 watts of low band RF up my arm.
Logged

Brandt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Posts: 728
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:28:59 PM »

geez how old are you guys? lol just kidding!

thanks for the warning!
Logged

HA Dave

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 174
  • Posts: 7126
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »

geez how old are you guys?

Most of us are pretty young! I think -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) and Knightrider are kinda old though. Sorry guys... could help myself.
Logged
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 118
  • Posts: 2236
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »

I once discharged a television picture tube. I still ain't right from that.  ;D

Back in high school I repaired TVs on the side to earn a few bucks.  There were a few rules to follow:

1)  Unplug the set
2)  Keep one hand in your pocket
3)  Discharge the picture tube with a grounded clip lead attached to an insulated screwdriver.

After the big snap, it was safe to work inside.

Jeff
Logged
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • Posts: 1743
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »

geez how old are you guys?

Most of us are pretty young! I think -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) and Knightrider are kinda old though. Sorry guys... could help myself.

Actually, I'm kinda young.  Just experienced.

As a whippersnapper, I found a Radio Electronics article on how to build a voltage doubler, took an indirect lightning strike from a base station to a telephone across the room and tore apart TV sets on a semi regular basis.

Been there, done that, still ain't right.
Logged
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Mellowmark

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • Posts: 195
  • M M Electric
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »

Yeah the one that got me by surprise was the flash in my niece's digital camera. That little sucker packed a punch.
Logged
M M ElectricMan

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

  • Advanced Member
  • Hero Member
  • ******
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • Posts: 1340
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »

At age 12 or so, I discovered that rabbit fur lined leather gloves are not sufficient insulators at 36,000 or so volts present at the anode cap of a medium sized color TV.   :o   -:)   ???

Fortunately, I woke up.   ;D

Unfortunately, I woke up under my desk about 6 feet across the room.   rofl

For some reason, my parents would never allow me to put a lock on my bedroom door.   ???   rofl

 >!
Logged
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Mel99

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 5
  • Posts: 93
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10:37 PM »

When I did tech support for a telecom company, I was assisting on an install.  Just as we walked into the data/switch room: the building went dark, the emergency lights came on and the Halon sprayed.  I saw a tech from another company yelling over by the open-frame power distribution unit.  I looked around for a wooden stick and couldn't find one.  By that time he was free from the power distribution unit and seemed to be mostly ok.

He admitted to working on the high voltage section live as he didn't have permission to shut it down during the day.  Fortunately, the current did not arc across his heart.  It only made a section of his palm, about the diameter of a silver dollar, hard as leather.  And, the pair of vice grips he was using was welded to the frame.

Really strengthened my resolve to always be really, really careful around electricity.
Logged

bitman

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 9
  • Posts: 597
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

I once discharged a television picture tube. I still ain't right from that.  ;D

Oh that's what wrong.  ;D

Bless you heart man, I'm glad it's still tickin.

 >!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:03:10 PM by bitman »
Logged
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

bitman

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 9
  • Posts: 597
Re: Slight Shock from an X10 Filter.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

Best jolt I got was from a B+ cap all nice and charged up in a Marshall tube amp.
Once when I was about 7 I cut a piece of zip cord and attached the bare ends to a 6x9 speaker then plugged the other end into the wa- BANG!

Went downstairs still shaking with fear to see my dad just reading the Sunday paper..... :'
Thought I could make an amp that way. 

This is the most fun thread yet here.
We need some good zap emoticons!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:16:05 PM by bitman »
Logged
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....
 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.