Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Weather Resistant is the XX20a camera And how to Provide A good Signal  (Read 7378 times)

pcbeachrat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I havent gotten my order yet but will have it by the 26th..I am cruising around the forums to try to learn a little about it.. One of my questions is the XX20A b/w WEATHER RESISTANT CAMERA is just how weather resistant is it?I know it is not waterproof but resists it.One place I will be setting the camera up will be on top of A gutted out travel trailer overlooking my sandblasting booth and blasting tools/cabinets/compressor etc...The trailer has no trees over it but does have A corner street light for my Low Light camera.If I simply mount it on top it will be TOTALLY exposed to the elements, so do I need to build some sort of wooden structure around it to prevent direct rain on it,if so what area do I need to keep open for the light source such as,will just a front panel open be okay, or do I simply need to assemble A roof type structure to allow light in from the light pole? I seen on you tube someone had one hidden in A birdhouse with just the normal entry hole for A bird to enter  and no added light.I fear that wouldn't work for some reviews I have read.I am not trying to hide the camera at all, and in fact prefer for it to be seen, but not vandalized.With the winds and rain we get here In Florida I want to protect it from the elements as much as possible, but then want it noticeable too.I am just concerned about having enough light to operate properly.Do these cameras operate(visually speaking) best with the light source overhead,front side or back side of the camera?Does direct rain ruin/destroy/or make the camera malfunction in any way? The other camera I ordered will pretty well be partially guarded with A aluminum Hurricane shutter but I have A motion sensor flood light in that spot..Would the placement of the camera work better over the flood light/under the floodlight/on either the left or right side or what? On the unguarded(from the elements)camera I would like to make it to where the front part of the camera is visibly clear to people and they will know it is A security camera, but I do not want to mess up it's reception from obstructing signals from the structure built around it.My plan is(I can only afford 2 cameras right now) is to try to only give lookers the front view of the camera lens enough to where they know it is A camera, and then building about 4 other look alike structures, and assembling some fake cameras out of scrap pvc painted to match the real cameras and possibly throwing in some led lights I have to try to match up the real cameras look inside of it's "little structure"..I do not know if these cameras show A light at night or not, but no problem there for I have tons of small led lights to simulate the other camera.My concern is "smothering" the camera where it don't get good reception, or not keeping as much rain as I possibly can off of it if it will ruin it..I wouldn't cover it hardly at all except I want to "mock" it's look and hide most of it where I can simply take A small piece of pvc,paint it,glue some plexiglass fake lens on it,and install some sort of lights/if any/depending on the real camera looks with just the front round lens area of the camera shows from it's cover.I will eventually buy a few more cameras and equipment to replace the "mock" ones as I can..1 at a time if I need..However I will end up with alot of extra equipment(which I love "extra anything lol) for it is cheaper to buy kits than it is just  A single camera in most cases..I will simply buy kits that have single cameras with other included equipment that I may not have just to have....LOL Please excuse my "books" I have A touch adhd and find my fingers ramble as much as my mind does!!!..anyway..Especially the people that has had X10 equipment for quite awhile try your best to give me your opinion on what I should Or should not do as far as protecting or blocking the signals on these cameras.I am sure alot of the "old timers" to X10 has gone through a few of their different cameras  and will have different opinions on different cameras and the set up of them..If they need More signal than from an enclosed structure, I can simply put black window screen on the sides or back that will hide the true profile of the fake cameras and give them reception..Geezzz here I go ramblin again... :' Anyway...old timers, new timers,some timers, and all the time timers..I would appreciate your input..Thanks
Hmmm>>lets see....Whats fer supper, and Work is for people that don't know how to fish!! Not Original but it beats A blank!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

..... I seen on you tube someone had one hidden in A birdhouse with just the normal entry hole for A bird to enter  and no added light.I fear that wouldn't work for some reviews I have read.I am not trying to hide the camera at all, and in fact prefer for it to be seen, but not vandalized.With the winds and rain we get here In Florida I want to protect it from the elements as much as possible, but then want it noticeable too.

I made a YouTube Video with the cam hidden in a birdhouse... likely the one you saw.

Your right to want cameras seen! Cameras can deter crime... but only if they are seen. Yet... few people want their homes to look guarded. So hidding cameras can soften the look. Plus.. cameras can be easy to defeat by simply pulling a hoodie up and/or a ball cap down.. and looking away. a few cameras that aren't easy to spot can fix that problem.

I don't use fake cams... real cams are cheap... use plenty.

Good lighting also deters crime. If you don't think you have enough lighting... you proably don't. I like light... and more light on motion sensors.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:08:37 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pcbeachrat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

If these cams prove out I will be adding more real cams as I can add A few more eagles to my wallet lol...A man 55 years old with lumbar disk disease is pretty well limited to how work A day he can do..and sandblasting at that..cabinet style only Can't handle the "real blasting" anymore lol..Doctor would kill me if he knew what I was doing now ...Decreased hours means pretty well decreased moolah, so after I get over this couple purchases and replenish the supply of funds, more real ones will be going up.Thanks for the reply, and I believe it was your video I seen for the little "gif" seems to have the head of the man in the bird house on it lol..What type of camera was the one in the birdhouse? Thanks for the reply
Hmmm>>lets see....Whats fer supper, and Work is for people that don't know how to fish!! Not Original but it beats A blank!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

........ What type of camera was the one in the birdhouse?

Just a standard little ole X10 wireless color camera. X10 cameras are tough little work horses.... I really like them.. but I use a mixture of brands and types. I like to have one bigger clunky IR camera (up high) mounted on an X10 Ninja (pan and tilt mount). It sticks out like a sore thumb and lets the bad guys know I can look around even in the dark.

I built the birdhouse to fit the cam... and gave myself PLENTY of extra room.. still the birdhouse is small. I made it from one pre-cut dogeared fence board... I think it cost me $1.49.

This stuff is both useful... and a lot of fun. And IHMO (In My Humble Opinion) the setups are best when built a bit at a time. That reduces the frustration levels and allows for better planning.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.