Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changing batteries = Low Family Approval Factor  (Read 26443 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Changing batteries = Low Family Approval Factor
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

I could see with all the MS14a's and DS10a's I was planning to scatter around the house how changing batteries just wouldn't fly.

Any one have any suggestions on how to 'wire' these for a permanent non-bothersome use?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:24:05 PM by pomprocker »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Changing batterires = Low Family Approval Factor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »

Batteries should last a year under average service. Otherwise you could use 3V DC adapters (which are hard to find). I found some surplus-ed Radio Shack Nintendo Gameboy 120V adaptors for $1.49 each at http://www.goldmine-elec.com/ but I believe they have sold out. Might try a Google search.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »

ugh i hate wal warts even more than changing batteries....I was thinking that if I was going to run a wire for power that using a DS10a would be pointless, because at that point I might as well run wires for power and signal. But then if the signal was wired, i'd have to have an individual powerflash for each one

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »

= Low Alpha Male approval too.

Why does my $6.96 multi remote from walmart hold the codes while I change the batteries but a ms1x can't.

Can I add a cap to these to give me a little time?
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »

Why does my $6.96 multi remote from walmart hold the codes while I change the batteries but a ms1x can't.

Bits you are a genius

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CBC-17/1-FARAD-5.5-VOLT-SUPER-CAP-/-/1.html

A one farad cap would run a MS14 about a day!  rofl

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CBC-20/0.33-FARAD-5.5-VOLT-CAPACITOR/1.html

Back in tech school days we were told a one farad capacitor would be the size of a house...'course they were still teaching cathod, grid, plate, back then also.  :D

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »

Bits you are a genius

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CBC-17/1-FARAD-5.5-VOLT-SUPER-CAP-/-/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CBC-20/0.33-FARAD-5.5-VOLT-CAPACITOR/1.html

Back in tech school days we were told a one farad capacitor would be the size of a house...'course they were still teaching cathod, grid, plate, back then also.  :D

Wow! 1 whole farad!

Thanks I'll try that. I have an ms12a that is at a7 and needs to stay on for 4 minutes. But it is set at 1 min since I changed it's battery cause I'm too lazy to go to the net relearn how to do it and go fix it. It lights my mudroom that is dark so I have to tie my shoes with focus and stop taunting the dog about going wherever were off to who has her nose to the door.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brandt

Re: Changing batteries = Low Family Approval Factor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »

Alright wires would look bad. I know there are battery checking scripts, and the cap idea sounds good.

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »

what do security systems use for contact closures? I always see two little white contacts with a white cable running down the side of the window or door.

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »

what do security systems use for contact closures? I always see two little white contacts with a white cable running down the side of the window or door.

The security system in my previous house used magnetic contacts that were open when the door/window was open.  The door/window had a little metal strip that would close the magnetic contacts when we closed the door or window.  From time to time one of the pairs of cable would malfunction and I would have to go into the crawl space and troubleshoot.

My MS14's have instructions for setting the codes inside the battery door, making the re-learning process quick.  I attached flush-mount hanging devices to the back of the 14's so I can easily take them down and set/reset the codes inside and not on a ladder out in the cold (northern Illinois).  I read in these forums that someone uses velcro to do this, but I don't trust velcro in the extreme cold.

I plan to initiate a yearly battery replacement program.  In September, I take a day and replace all of the batteries, reset the codes and test.  That way, I'll be set for the winter.

Mel

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »

I plan to initiate a yearly battery replacement program.  In September, I take a day and replace all of the batteries, reset the codes and test.  That way, I'll be set for the winter.

Mel
Yup, best way to do it. Once a year I spend a small fortune at the battery store (aka Walmart battery display)and replace everything...clocks, smoke alarms, TV remotes, garage remotes, Motion sensors, Palm Pads, Slim Line Switches, etc. Big PIB but everything is good for another year. Very surprising how many batteries a typical household uses. 

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »

The DS10A has a low battery indicator which is detected by suitable software.   It'll probably run for a couple of weeks at least in the low battery state.  When changing batteries, you have a minute or two to get the old batteries out and the new ones in before it loses its ID code.

he MS1xA by contrast has no low battery indicator, and once you pull out a battery the address has to be reset.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

panamon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »

Is adding a capacitor actually an option?

Can someone please verify the capacitors in the thread are the ones that are needed and describe where and how to install them in the MS16A's circuitry? Would you simply solder it to the positive negative sides of the battery pack?

I can change batteries in 10 secs easy so I hope this is doable. With all the sensores I have deployed, changing the batteries is an expensive nuisance enough without having to have to reprogram not only the house and unit codes but the Dusk\Dawn and OFF settings as well.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »

One problem with the large capacity; Super Capacitors. Is their size.
The 1F listed above is .78" Diameter and .3" thick
The .33F is smaller.
Spec sheet: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/ABC0000CE1.pdf

I believe the large capacity capacitors also have a fairly large leakage current until forming well.

The MS16A has a 10uf cap C11 across the battery from the factory.

I don't know if anyone has tried a super cap in a motion sensor {if it could be fitted into one} to keep the settings long enough to change the batteries. Hold time maybe dependent on if you triggered it during battery removal and the transmitter sent a On signal.  :'

dave w; Nothing like a final output tube. Plates glowing cherry red and the envelope so hot the glass is sucking in from the vacuum inside it.  rofl
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:11:12 AM by Brian H »

neo11

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Bitbucket sinkhole
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

Bits you are a genius

I figure 1 50 uf electrolitic should hold it  for about a minute no ?  ;) 1 farad caps are hard to
find I think.
Working  -:)

neo11

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Bitbucket sinkhole
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »

Bits you are a genius

I figure 1 50 uf electrolitic should hold it  for about a minute no ?  ;) 1 farad caps are hard to
find I think.

Oh thought I would add that a tantalum cap would be nice. They are very tiny. However,
watch the polarity, hooking them up backwards lets the smoke out and they pop  ;D
Working  -:)
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.