Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB modem for use with AlertDialer?  (Read 10305 times)

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
USB modem for use with AlertDialer?
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

Hi folks,

Is anyone using a USB modem successfully with Tuicemen's AlertDialer or AlertDialer Plus?  If so, I'd sure appreciate knowing specifically what make and model works!

Thanks!

ITguy

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
FOUND ONE - USB modem for use with AlertDialer?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »

Hi folks,

Well, I finally found one.  The TrendNet TFM-560U will work if you use the special drivers from TraySoft - the drivers from TrendNet DO NOT enable the voice-modem feaures needed by AlertDialer.  http://forums.traysoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=26&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=7332ac5441072f5d97d564aa21e8dd93

The ones you want are those listed for the Hiro V.92 56K External USB Modem, model# H50113 (Caller ID and Voice) using the Agere chipset.  I've tested the drivers with Windows XP and Windows 7.  The drivers work fine, even though Win7 doesn't seem to like AlertDialer, even when run in XP compatibility mode.

While you're at TraySoft, you'll also want to download PhoneTray-Free, their free caller I.D. program.  Within the setup screen is a button labeled "Fix CID" which sends the correct modem command to enable caller i.d.  You should only have to run this once, though if your modem ever loses it's settings, you'll need it again.

Hope this helps someone else with their search.

ITguy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:19:50 AM by ITguy »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: USB modem for use with AlertDialer?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »

Thank you for the information.
I am sure it will help others.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

ITguy
Thanks for the info! :)%
Internal modems are hit and miss! B:( Just because someone found one that worked doesn't mean the next person getting the same brand will get the same results! ::) :' That's the main reason behind me not including a list of modems that work.
External modems tend to work better with any PC program and chances are good that the next person that gets that brand can expect the same results .
Usually externals have been expensive but this little gem maybe the backup I've been looking for!
 >!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:47:44 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »

I know this is a old thread however there is one bit of info needed for users with Vista and Windows 7
This may not affect everyone but it did for me installing on windows 7 64 bit.
Each time I rebooted windows would reload the defalt drivers for the USB modem this made the modem not a voice modem. B:(
The trick is telling windows not to look for new drivers however when it does this automatic at reboot it is hard to stop.
Here is the cure:
how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista & 7
However this prevents windows from loading drives when you plan on using another USB device.
You need to undo the steps outlined install your new device then redo the steps before you reboot.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.