Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Customer Service Issue  (Read 7371 times)

mbkerk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Customer Service Issue
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »

Recently I had a lamp module (LM465) that dod not work correctly right out of the box!

I called X10, and they were very polite! Even sent me a return FedX label to ship the module back!

A month, and a couple of phone calls later, and I still do not have my replacement module!

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? How long should I have to wait? Would I be better off ordering from a re-seller on eBay?

Please advise!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Customer Service Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »

Things fall into cracks a lot at X10.
You know the routine.
Call Customer Service again with the RMA number and your tracking number showing delivery date and ask if the replacement has been shipped. If not, when? and ask for persons name and number.  Also even at X10, honey gets a better response than vinegar.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »

.... Would I be better off ordering from a re-seller on eBay?

I have purchased X10 from sources other than X10.com. Radio Shack and Lowe's(?) in the old days... and even a couple eBay orders recently (powerflash and universal modules). But normally the best deals (and free shipping) are the X10 newsletter deals. Bummer you've had a problem with getting the module replaced. We are all just "X10 customers and users like you" here at the forum. I've never really had any problems with X10 shipments... but I feel for you.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mbkerk

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »

Also even at X10, honey gets a better response than vinegar.

Just FYI... The folks at X10 have been very friendly on the phone, and I with them. I am just a little frustrated with the timing of this matter. I still think they are a great company.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »

I am just a little frustrated with the timing of this matter.

You need that module don't you? I understand that feeling! Many of us... myself included.. regularly buy the newsletter deals. Sometimes.. (an open admition here) I don't actually have a use in mind for what I order. I keep a large plastic container/tub of supplys.. or extras. So when a project comes to mind... often I have the parts required on hand.

mbkerk

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »

You need that module don't you?

I am getting by without it... just wondering what is taking so long.

I have an older one in it's place, but it doesn't have that cool "soft start" feature!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:48:45 PM »

... I have an older one in it's place, but it doesn't have that cool "soft start" feature!

I only recently received one of those (it was part of a newsletter deal). I don't use many lamp modules... but that soft start is cool. Because the module numbers remain the same (I think) I used a sharpie to mark a "SS" on the back of that one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:50:44 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »

Sometimes.. (an open admition here) I don't actually have a use in mind for what I order.
I have three "bankers boxes" full of X10 stuff in the basement. Another smaller box with two "Enerlogic 1400s".  A very early controller (1987) which used a modified Basic for the "Schedule" (macros using IF-THEN-ELSE). Who knows how much of the old stuff still works.. The third Bankers box box is all new stuff, still in X10's sky blue boxes.

Sigh... my wife has had three "X10 interventions" for me over the past decade.   rofl

But I have some unusual stuff: A Leviton branded Telephone Responder that can send all 256 codes.

A "NuTone" branded transceiver that spans all 16 House Codes like the CM15A and built in a 10 inch square NuTone doorbell housing .

A couple "Regulator" lamp modules made by Bear Cat (CB, Scanner, company). This was not an X10 product and had 100 HCs and 100 UCs. The first 16 HC / UC were completely compatible with X10.

I doubt any of it works anymore. I am not sure what the life span of the reactive power supply caps are. Don't know if they break down or not. Some day before our next move I will have to check everything  out....Probably be another intervention the next day.  :D

mbkerk

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:02 AM »

I got this message yesterday from X10...

Dear Customer,

I do apologize for the delay in shipping out your replacement LM465. This item will be sent out to you tomorrow 02/18/10. Please allow 5-7 business days for delivery.

If you have further questions please reply to this email or contact us at 1-800-442-5138.

Thank you,

Anthony G.
X10.com Customer Support

I hope this is in the works and I can post here within a week that I received the LM465. I must have just been falling through the cracks somewhere.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »

Glad you got a reply and hopefully a replacement shortly.
I read here that there where two lots of questionable LM465s. Maybe part of the problem is weeding out the bad ones.
I got one out of three myself. Though I am a hardware type and disassembled it to see if I could find the problem. :'

mbkerk

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »

I read here that there where two lots of questionable LM465s. Maybe part of the problem is weeding out the bad ones.

What is the issue everyone else is having? The one I had would only light a lamp to 50% brightness. I have 2 identical lamps, each with their own LM465 and one would not get as bright as the other... I hope the replacement  works better!

LT

Re: Customer Service Issue - poor service with a smile.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »

I returned three defective lamp modules six weeks ago. I had the same problem with inadequate brightness. I have spoken to Anthony, Lacreshia and Vanessa. All were friendly and courteous. All promised a quick turnaround time the next Saturday. All produced the same result - nothing. I am still waiting for replacements. A product is no better then the followup and the followup is poor. Its frustrating to say the least to have someone take your money and provide nothing in return. LT

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »

The going to 50% brightness is the problem most are reporting lately.

I bought a Socket Rocket deal. Buy one Socket Rocket. get a Socket Rocket free and through in three LM465s. One of the three goes to 50%.
Others are also getting mixed LM465s in the mega deals. Some go to 100% others go to about 50%

Actually in my case I was hoping to get a 50% one as I am a hardware type and wanted to analyse it.
Technical stuff here. My 50% LM465; the triac only fires on one half of the AC cycle and my meters show a large Lumpy DC Component. Scope also shows only the negative half of the waveform at what should be 100% and it shrinks smaller as you try and dim it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
Re: Customer Service Issue - poor service with a smile.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

I returned three defective lamp modules six weeks ago. I had the same problem with inadequate brightness. I have spoken to Anthony, Lacreshia and Vanessa. All were friendly and courteous. All promised a quick turnaround time the next Saturday. All produced the same result - nothing. I am still waiting for replacements. A product is no better then the followup and the followup is poor. Its frustrating to say the least to have someone take your money and provide nothing in return. LT
X10 apparently has had a bad run of Lamp Modules, Brian's analysis (to me) sounds like half the triac isn't conducting. Unfortunately they use the same spec triac in several product lines so they may be having trouble getting the good replacements in a timely manor.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »

Yes the positive half of the waveform was just a small spike. Like it tried to go on and failed.
It is the same part I have seen in old and new LM465s so they didn't go to a different part. Still the BTA10-400C. In both the good ones and bad one from my same order. Maybe many lots have mixed good and bad ones. May take awhile to sort it out. Maybe even a test before shipping. Now that would be a big cramp where you sit.   rofl

Though I would not put it past the Chinese factory using counterfit parts.
The company my Brother works for had a problem with a power FET. Shorted or leaky right on the bulk tape and reel. Called the manufacturer and though the date code was in their format. It was an invalid code. Thoughts where QC Rejects instead of being recycled where moved out the back door of their factory and sold on the Black Market.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:58:41 PM by Brian H »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.