Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: mounting ds10a's  (Read 4274 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
mounting ds10a's
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:54:24 AM »

How are people mounting ds10a's on door with door frames? they aren't exactly flush...

Also the front door had double doors that can open, should I do the dual switch setup or what?

Also, is it better to place the contacts closer to the hinge side or closer to the opening side?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: mounting ds10a's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »

How are people mounting ds10a's on door with door frames? they aren't exactly flush...

On one of my doors I had to add shims underneath the magnet on the door so it would be close enough to be reliable. I just used a couple layers of 2-way cushion tape before screwing the magnet to the door.

Also the front door had double doors that can open, should I do the dual switch setup or what?

You can add another reed switch / magnet in series to the existing one so then you just need the one DS10A to monitor both doors.

Also, is it better to place the contacts closer to the hinge side or closer to the opening side?

Placement is your preference, but you have to keep in mind how much door movement do you want to allow before triggering. The closer to the hinge side, the more the door will open without detection. I prefer mine at the opposite end so detection is made before any open space appears.

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »

On one of my doors I had to add shims underneath the magnet on the door so it would be close enough to be reliable. I just used a couple layers of 2-way cushion tape before screwing the magnet to the door.

Ah, shims...thats the ticket.

You can add another reed switch / magnet in series to the existing one so then you just need the one DS10A to monitor both doors.
[/quote]

good idea...but I don't think I'll bother for now...

Placement is your preference, but you have to keep in mind how much door movement do you want to allow before triggering. The closer to the hinge side, the more the door will open without detection. I prefer mine at the opposite end so detection is made before any open space appears.

I'll probably follow your lead and just buy some extra ds10a wire so I can mount the actual DS10a on the hinge side, but put the contacts on the opening side:
http://www.smarthome.com/84620/20-Foot-2-Conductor-22-Gauge-AWG-Interconnect-Wire-White/p.aspx

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »

how do you guys tac on the ds10a wire along the door frame and on the walls for a nice neat install?

super glue? thumb tacks? small staples?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.