Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ds7000 with RJ31x  (Read 15080 times)

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ds7000 with RJ31x
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »

I'm surprised the ds7000 is not designed to operate with an RJ31X type telephone connection.  Not quite sure why it wouldn't.  Is there any modification to get around that?  Comments? 

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: ds7000 with RJ31x
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »

The DS7000 isn't exactly a "pro" quality alarm system.

It doesn't do line seizure.

Are you looking to get line seizure, or just connect it so the house phones still work when plugged in to a RJ-31X?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

ranger88

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »

I'd like to get line seizure when using the ds7000...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »

DS7000 doesn't do line seizure. It doesn't have the added hardware to do it.

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »

Are you looking for a 'protected' loop closure or for the ability of the system to interrupt a conversation in progress and take over the line in order for the DS7000 to call somebody?

A protected loop closure uses an exclusion adapter.  This will not let a second extension access the line while a first conversation is in progress.  This is a nice feature when a fax or data transmission is in progress.  I have some of these I bought years ago. 

Check them out at:  http://www.sandman.com/

For true line seize relays--

Check out - http://www.racoman.com/techsupport1/vbtm/513.PDF.  This one of many firms that sell standalone line seizure relays.  It would be placed between the DS7000 and the RF31x.  Theoretically, when it receives a signal from the DS7000, it will cause the RJ31x to break any existing phone connections on the line - voice, fax or data -and connect the DS7000 to the line.

ranger88

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »

Wow!  Thanks so much for that info.  I wanted the ability of the system to interrupt a conversation in progress and take over the line in order for the DS7000 to call somebody.  I think that any burglar could take any phone off the hook to prevent someone or an alarm from dialing out?  Some alarms that are not RJ31x compatible also have 2 phone jacks (1 jack for phone line in and the second one for all other phone extensions following the daisy chain).  Love the website, lots of nice toys.  Will check out the protected loop closure too. 

Mel99

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »

A few definitions, just in case ...

Loop closure - most residential phone service starts with a pair of wires for each phone number at a residence.  These pairs go all the way to the local telephone central office (CO).  They are normally open (NO).  When someone at the residence lifts the telephone receiver the pair of wires gets connected (loop closure).  This causes current to flow on the wires and this current is detected at the CO as somebody wanting to make a call.  The CO then puts a dial tone on the current.  Once the CO detects dialing, the dial tone is removed and the call setup proceeds.  

Line seizure - a telephone line (most likely in a PBX) detected to be free - not in use.  A person at an extension lifts the receiver and presses "9" or what ever code is required to grab an outside line.  The PBX the connects that extension with that telephone line.  If there are no free outside lines, the extension user gets a busy signal and has to wait.  The PBX is said to be 'courteous' in this case.

Line seize relay - used in security systems.  When a security system detects the need to call out and report some issue, courtesy goes out the window.  The security system 'orders' the line seize relay to override what ever else is going on on the line and make the outgoing call.

Mel99

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »

I think that any burglar could take any phone off the hook to prevent someone or an alarm from dialing out?  

If the alarm system is the first to get access to the line, the exclusion adaptor would lock out all other potential users of the line until the security notification call terminated.

Mel

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

I love it when someone goes above and beyond to 'splain POTS stuff to me.  Mel deserves a +1.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Mel99

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »

I love it when someone goes above and beyond to 'splain POTS stuff to me.  Mel deserves a +1.

Thanks.  Most of the time, I feel like such a newb here - absorbing as much as I can from the posts.  When I find a topic I know a little about, I'm happy to contribute.  Sort of like paying it forward  ...  for those times I'll need help.

Mel

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:02:59 PM »

+100

Thanks Mel!

ranger88

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »

Yeah, thanks for that info.  The Line Seize Relay sounds great.  Who needs to be courteous during an emergency, just get the call through, LOL. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.