Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: hvac automation  (Read 36565 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: hvac automation
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »

From what i've seen, hvac control can be pretty granular as far as multiple baffles connected to a hvac controller, and remote thermostats in every room communicating with a master thermostat...I think I would like to be there eventually but for now I would like a second thermostat upstairs, and be able to turn on/off the ac/heat from both locations...
The RCS line of HVAC controllers are flexible and expandable.  You can put in the main controller, and later down the line if you want to install a zone controller and some dampers, you can.  As far as being able to turn the HVAC on and off from two locations, that might be hard with standard thermostats (I could be wrong).

also preferably x10 ready so I can tie it in to my home automation software for monitoring.
I forget, what software do you use for your HA setup?  is it AHP?  If so, you probably wont be able to do much for monitoring temps from your thermostats.

Dan B.

I'm using Heyu so anything is possible  ;)

Those RCS units look good especially the RCS-TXB16 (I think it was), and yes expandability is key

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

If you have not downloaded the RCS X10 compatible manuals and protocol data yet:
http://www.resconsys.com/products/stats/x10.htm

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »

The three Honeywell programmable themostats I installed at our last house worked very well.  They came from either Lowes or HomeDepot.

Jeff

I'm just sayin' they won't have any warranty if they fail. The big box stores don't carry the wireless model, either.

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »

Are you a HVAC contractor?

Yes.
I've been in the trade for 26 years now.  Just please be sure to stay with "known" brands.  Home Depot sells a brand with three letters, the last one being "x", that may only work for a year if it works at all! B:(

I've installed a "Honeywell YTH6320R1015 WIRELESS FOCUS PRO" on my home and I love it, except it uses "RedLink" technology that I don't know how to use with AHP.  Someday I'm hoping it will work with PC companion!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:59:57 PM by raster69273 »

Brandt

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »

I pretty much have my eye on the RCS TXB16 as its compatible with my x10 software (Heyu)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »

I pretty much have my eye on the RCS TXB16 as its compatible with my x10 software (Heyu)

Pomp, if you get this and decide further down the line you want to upgrade, the TS40 and TS60 wall display units (WDUs) should work with this setup.  These WDUs have many more features than the TS16 WDU that comes with this system.

It looks as if this unit has the same or similar control module as the one that I have and just uses a TW523 X10 interface with it.  Seeing that, I may get a TW523 for mine and see if I can get it to work.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »

Home Depot sells a brand with three letters, the last one being "x", that may only work for a year if it works at all! B:(

Around here - it's Lowes that carries the L*x branded 'stats.
Home Depot has Honeywell and RiteTemp.

Brandt

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »

I ended up winning a RCS TXB16 off ebay. I will keep you posted about how the install, setup, and config in Heyu goes.

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:39 PM »

I ended up winning a RCS TXB16 off ebay. I will keep you posted about how the install, setup, and config in Heyu goes.
Yes, please. I use Heyu and am looking at automating my HVAC as well.

Brandt

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »

Well i've done the bench tests so far on the txb16 unit i received off ebay and all is well.

Now I feel I need to learn a bit about HVAC before installing it...after reading the manual I'm so confused.

on the first floor in the middle of the house is the thermostat on the wall, and in the closet next to it is a weatherking (furnace i assume), and on the side of the house is a big fan type box pointing upward...no clue about HVAC as you can see...

hope you can help

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

The outside box with the big fan. Maybe an Air Conditioner unit. That is if you have a furnace in the cellar and not just an outside heat pump that does AC and Heat.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

Well i've done the bench tests so far on the txb16 unit i received off ebay and all is well.

Now I feel I need to learn a bit about HVAC before installing it...after reading the manual I'm so confused.

on the first floor in the middle of the house is the thermostat on the wall, and in the closet next to it is a weatherking (furnace i assume), and on the side of the house is a big fan type box pointing upward...no clue about HVAC as you can see...

hope you can help

Configurations usually vary by geography.

When I lived in Dallas, my "furnance" was nothing more than a glorified hair dryer mounted in the attic.  The A/C compressor was the big box unit thing outside the house.  It'll have a big fan on the top, and should have two large pipes coming out of it and heading into the house.

My inlaws live in South Texas - and their heating unit is in the closet - like yours.

Here in Colorado, the furnace is in the basement.

The A/C unit, if you have one will almost always resemble what I've described: a box outside, 3x3' or bigger, with a large fan on the top.  Unless you have a newer split A/C system.  Following those pipes (if you can) or following a big gas line (if your furnace is gas powered) usually leads you to the unit.

I dunno what Heat Pumps look like!  :)

Hope that helps...

Brandt

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »

I'm in Southern California, where there is moderate weather all year long

The 'thing' outside is a weatherking rcu 900+

The furnace inside is also a weatherking

I opened up the thermostat to get the wiring, can someone decode this:

w1 - white wire
w2 - none
G - Blue wire
Rc & Rh - Red wire connected together
B - None
O - None
Y2 - None
Y1 - Yellow Wire

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:40:05 PM by Brandt »

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »

I have a question before you get too far into this. Does the unit you bought accept X10 commands?

Brandt

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 12:31:17 PM »

Yes:

http://www.resconsys.com/products/stats/x10.htm

Scroll down and read the x10 protocol manual

I updated an issue in domus.Link (heyu frontend) to add support for this:

http://code.google.com/p/domuslink/issues/detail?id=35

...although its not scheduled yet..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:33:25 PM by Brandt »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.