Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PC to TV on a budget  (Read 27734 times)

mr.foutch

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
PC to TV on a budget
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »

-:) :)% rofl >! O.K. all of us (cheap) Happy Campers, I've finally got this PC to TV thing to work! After a lot of dinking around (Incantations, Dances, and consultations with The Ghost of Windows 3.x/95 and the Video Card Wizards) my Computer Angel and I managed to display my Desktop on my (Samsung analog) TV and watch Hulu, AllUC, Show-
tim, et al.

First I had to get into my DSL Router and change the channel it transmits on from Channel 1 to Channel 11. I entered numeric URL into my browser and accessed the router software from there. The URL was something like"192.168.x.x". This was so all my other wireless stuff that transmits on 2.4Ghz didn't interfere with my efforts. Also so that the other stuff would still work. Also get into your Video Card software and set the Refresh to 60.

Then I followed nybucks advice and obtained an older version of the hardware that transmits TV/Audio from my computer. I can't use any other programs simultaneously while I use my computer and monitor to display the video stuff I want to watch. But in order to be able to do this I'd have to buy a bunch of other adapters, and/or another video card. I'm not willing to do either. You're almost ready to go.

The house in which I live was built in 1895. Plumbing and electricity were added as each became available. To make a long story short, no pun intended, there's a lot of uninsulated wiring running through my walls and ceilings. The stray RF waves dancing around through my house kind of make transmitting audio and video challenging, to say the least. More on overcoming this later. For now , I'll describe how to get a picture of your desktop onto your TV.

First of all, you have to get your video card to put out at 640 x 480 resolution. My Computer Angel  didn't believe this was possible with the newer video card. Guess what kids, it can be done! You just have to be persistent to discover how to do this. ' Course then you have to change all of your settings on your desktop, but you can do that, right? It's not fun, but you can do it. Just remember when you're fooling around on the web after you change your settings that you can change the size of your browser window (on Google anyway) using "[Control] +/-".

You're almost there. Don't install any software you receive unless you really know what you're doing. It was all written before the days of Plug and Play. Specifically, it was written for Windows 3.x and/or Windows 95. The Wireless Mouse will be functional (with the set up I'm using you don't even need to plug in the Wireless Mouse Receiver, unless you are comfortable having something designed for Windows 95 controlling your motherboard ). You're mouse on you desktop will also be functional.

Now, choose the channel you're transmitter is going to use and set you're receiver to the same channel (Channel "D" works best where I am located). Plug everything in, to both the AC and the computer. Turn the computer and the stuff you've just installed "on". And start trying to figure out how to get the best Audio and Video on your TV.

In my case I had to experiment with the type and combination of AC extension cords I used. Finding out whether it really mattered where, or if, the antennae were oriented. How or whether it mattered which component was actually grounded and how to do so. Some other stuff, too. But I'm out of time.

More as it occurs to me. Enjoy yourself.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:49:16 PM by mr.foutch »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: PC to TV on a budget
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »

Mr. Foutch:

Glad to hear that you got it working after countless hours of frustration!

Thanks for posting as I'm positive this will help out the next poor soul.

Thanks for proving once again that "it can be done".  Persistence has paid off.

Enjoy your very first +1.  I'm humbled that I can be the first to bestow that honor upon you.

#:)  >!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »

Great review and showing that persistence can pay off.

Helpful from me also.

mr.foutch

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »

Aw Shucks, folks. Isn't that why we're put here? If I can enlighten anyone further, let me know.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »

Great that you got it working, and glad to be of help...   ;D

A couple of tips I heard along the way: 
If you create different Windows Logins - One being "TV Transmit" perhaps, and that one 640x480...  I believe that leaves the higher resolution on the other logins...
I have had no luck putting the TV transmitter or receiver near a PC monitor or on top of the TV.  Separate them a few feet from the CRT's and you should have better reception.

And another "helpful" from me.   ;D
>!

mr.foutch

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »

Another thing. I found that connecting the transmitter to AC current through a surge protector seems to help reduce the rolling band on the video side and also reduces the random "popping" on the audio side. I haven't felt the need to attenaute the AC current on the receiver.

cwalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »

B:( Rolling Band????? Popping?????  Yikes, those comments have me wondering if I should even try this thing. Haven't ordered it yet.

mr.foutch

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »

Does anyone know how I might shield the radiation from my microwave? Or an in expensive way to shield my transmitter and receiver from the radiation a microwave transmits? Other than that, my experience is that once you get the antennae oriented correctly everything's hunky dory.More later.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »

Does anyone know how I might shield the radiation from my microwave? Or an in expensive way to shield my transmitter and receiver from the radiation a microwave transmits?

Your microwave should already be completely shielded. Shielding the sender/receiver units from RF waves... would kinda defeat there purpose. Fortunately the microwave unit will only emit the interfering RF waves... when actually in use. Simply don't use your microwave when using the sender/receiver units.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »

I hate to do it, but I gotta agree with Dave_Xtra_L.  ;)

The microwave is just gonna interfere with anything on 2.4 GHz.  I found that out right before I went from a 2.4 to 5.8 GHz cordless phone...
The good news is, like he said, the interference goes away when the food's done!   ;D
>!

mr.foutch

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »

Hey folks, it occurs to me that the interference I get from my microwave oven is probably electromagnetic interference, not RFI.
 ;)  :'  :angel:
One last helpful tip on using these things. It's best to locatethe transmitter as far from your PC, and all attached peripherals, as you can. The cost of five 15' patch cords inspired me to make my own with parts from Radio Shack. I used 75' of 24 guage stranded wire. Cut five 15' lengths of dipole wire. Then attached three 15' lengths to a block with RCA jacks mounted on it. and attached an RCA plug on the other end of each wire. I made another 15' patch cord with a 1/8" monaural plug on one end, with a jack on the other. And to extend the DC transformer wire, I made a 15' patch cord with an M type plug at one end and jack at the other. Once I found he place to put the transmitter where the sound came in best I was done screwing around with this thing. And I can watch my computer monitor on my TV in the next room. And also operate the mouse from the room from which I'm watching TV. Word has it that if one installs the software (written for Windows 3x and '95) one can even access a keyboard feature that allows one to type from your TV.

Anyway, here's my story. I hope someone can edit it down to a simple set of instructions that explain how to get your  "Big Picture" kit working. Find the thing at:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19653.0

pax wobisus, bye

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »

Hey folks, it occurs to me that the interference I get from my microwave oven is probably electromagnetic interference, not RFI.

Actually in the early days of "microwave" it was actually referred to as RADAR [RAdio Detection And Ranging]. I can say.. that microwaves use radio waves... they do also [of course] generate electromagnetic radiation. I am not really certain it matters.. which energy source interferes with your signal. But it is pretty well known and excepted that microwaves do interfere. And we have no known resolution to that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »

Word has it that if one installs the software (written for Windows 3x and '95) one can even access a keyboard feature that allows one to type from your TV.
The ability to type using the remote, which only emulates a mouse, is built into Windows XP, and I'm sure other versions of Windows...   ;)

From the Start Icon:
 • Point to All Programs.
 • Point to Accessories.
 • Point to Accessibility.
 • Select On-Screen Keyboard.

Then use the mouse or mouse remote to type on the screen!   ;D

>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.