Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ready to move beyond the fancy light show  (Read 7059 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Ready to move beyond the fancy light show
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »

I've got the lighting system, with motion sensors, and complex algorithms mostly figured out...but whats beyond the fancy light show?

I'm also working on getting the alarm system perfected...

What other systems are x10 compatible?

Utility monitors (electricity, water, gas)?
Not sure whats out there yet...

HVAC?
Looking at the RCS TXB16 system.

Irrigation?
Looking at the Rain8

Curtain control?
Looking at the add-a-motor

What else?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Ready to move beyond the fancy light show
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

I've got the lighting system, with motion sensors, and complex algorithms mostly figured out...but whats beyond the fancy light show?
......... What else?

That is an interesting.. and maybe a complex question. I am not sure exactly what the true answer is. For people... the only true control comes from giving control away. That applies to human life in general... and at a certain point.. it applies equality as well to automation.

For most automation users. Being able to turn on an awkwardly placed light from a bed or easychair... is automation enough. For some.. turning much of the home control over to mechanical and computerized control is a natural. But only a very few care to allow ourselves to be dependent on computerized help. I've started the S.A.R.A. project to help with that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »

Well, I'm a computer science student, love robotics and going to be studying artificial intelligence soon. What do you think?

The home must be able to sense 'everything' that I can possible make it sense. It must be able to take that input and make smart decisions, and be able to control the appropriate actuators all on its own. Of course if it could learn what I like and don't like that would be better. But at this point every decision is pre-programmed.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:10:01 PM »

Well, I'm a computer science student, love robotics and going to be studying artificial intelligence soon. What do you think?

Well there you go! As you know... better than myself.. a robot doesn't need be motors and servos. And [IMHO] AI is the next step in automation. Sensing 'everything', and making "smart decisions", based what you like and don't like... might be overkill.

Maybe... all the AI a home really needs is the eyes, ears, and brains of an idiot house sitter. And I mean that in a nice way. Besides the normal sensors that we now use to turn lights on and off.

• Adding cameras and motion sensors to keep a eye on things. (And call us on our cellphones... or let us know when we return home that video was recorded.)
  • Figure out how to use the voice control microphone (I use BVC) to listen for problems (like glass breakage, or water running).
  • A combination of programing and current weather predictions (I use weatheraloud) could have our automation making warrobe suggestions.
  • Or just an unsolicited source for pressing news.... like amber alerts, and storm warnings.
  • A simple chatbot that would use a limited amount of Internet provided current information to remind or inform us about TV programming, weather, sports scores.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:19:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »

FWIW
Go to the Xtension site http://www.shed.com/index.html to the "Ideas" tab and then drill down to the "Application Notes" section. Lots of ideas are hidden there.

i.e using a bar code reader to scan food/sundries empty packages before tossing in the wastebasket. The Home Automation System then generates a shopping list based on Min/Max quanties you have set.

A lot of the ideas are customized to the Xtension (Mac) program which requires a lot of scripting. But great ideas which can be ported to a PC based system, although I am not sure how much AHP can handle.

A lot of the information is old like my Wireless Speakers for audio steering back in 1998 but many "I never thought of that" ideas are burried in the reading.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:35 PM »

A combination of programing and current weather predictions (I use weatheraloud) could have our automation making warrobe suggestions.

ah-ha! I should have done this before I walked out this morning. I'm wearing short sleeves and it was drizzling out!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »

A combination of programing and current weather predictions (I use weatheraloud) could have our automation making warrobe suggestions.

ah-ha! I should have done this before I walked out this morning. I'm wearing short sleeves and it was drizzling out!

Yep... you caught the idea! The way I see this... any repetitive action is an opportunity for automation. Because it's the things we should do that get pushed aside by the things we need to do. Turning lights off in empty rooms, and setting the alarm after everyone leaves for school and work... are classic. Now all we need to do is look in nontraditional areas for automation. The parts of our lives that doesn't necessarily involve lights and devices.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

I've mentioned this before, I'm more working to make the house more self-aware of it's condition.  For starters, I have the weather station data feeding me data about what's going on outside; and some internal sensors feeding me information about what's going on inside.

It gets really windy, quickly here in Colorado. I think I'd like to know if the wind starts blowing so I could retract the awnings or close the big umbrella shades before they're ripped from their attachments.  :)

And I want two-way communication with the house.
I want to be able to send it, oh say an email, and have it respond accordingly.

I'd like to come up with some inexpensive water leak detectors, and place those in key locations next.

So for me, automation isn't high on my list.
I dunno - but I don't mind flipping on a light switch as I walk into the room.    ;D

I did have a big-dose-of-reality hit me (again).
My home server went offline, about an hour after I left the house for a six-day Spring break vacation last week.
I was completely blind to what was going on in the house.
 B:(

Good thing I had downloaded all of the lighting security routines to the CM11A before I left!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

... i.e using a bar code reader to scan food/sundries empty packages before tossing in the wastebasket. The Home Automation System then generates a shopping list based on Min/Max quanties you have set.

Why not just shout out to the computer from the Kitchen: to add to my shopping list... whatever. Then before going shopping say: Computer print my shopping list and reminders. So we could get the list of items from kitchen to bath that we need to restock... plus be reminded that Mom's birthday is in two weeks.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »

....... I'd like to come up with some inexpensive water leak detectors, and place those in key locations next.

Our own Puck started a great thread about that HERE.

Here is a good threat to review (at cocoontech).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »

... i.e using a bar code reader to scan food/sundries empty packages before tossing in the wastebasket. The Home Automation System then generates a shopping list based on Min/Max quanties you have set.

Why not just shout out to the computer from the Kitchen: to add to my shopping list... whatever. Then before going shopping say: Computer print my shopping list and reminders. So we could get the list of items from kitchen to bath that we need to restock... plus be reminded that Mom's birthday is in two weeks.
That works too. This was just an example of an outside of the box application of home automation.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »

That works too. This was just an example of an outside of the box application of home automation.

Yeah.. I like the way you think in this area!

There is so much progress that can be made here. I think... the totally mobile processors that we carry with us in our cellphones.. can also be a game changer as well.

Yet... I don't see the acceptance. Whereas virtually everyone I know [that has a garage] has a garage door opener. Yet everyone I know [with one exception] leaves the automation there. Even at the automation forums... those of us ready to do more than "devices"... aren't large in numbers.

Every morning when I sit down in my easychair with my first cup of coffee. My Kate16 computer voice (BVC) tells me the "current local weather" as she turns on my TV [and cable box]. I think... this Internet-to-easychair interaction would be something the world would clamor to have in their own living rooms.

Brandt

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »

I think it depends on the person. I'm 28 and I consider myself a futurist, while I still admire the past. My step-mom and my girlfriend seem to fear technology and get pissed off when it gets in their way. My Dad is so-so and as he gets older, he is willing to deal with it as long as it doesn't piss his wife off and does not require any maintenance.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »

My Dad is so-so and as he gets older, he is willing to deal with it as long as it doesn't piss his wife off and does not require any maintenance.

I'm 52 and my desire to putz with computers has kinda waned.
when I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is debug the wife's Outlook, figure out why the DirecTV receivers aren't working, why the Linux box is crashing after having been working fine for 3 years and so on.

Now, I just want things to work...
Your Dad and I would see eye-to-eye.    :D

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »

I think it depends on the person. I'm 28 and I consider myself a futurist, while I still admire the past.

Futurist :  adj : of or relating to futurism; "futurist art" [syn: futuristic] (noun)
1: a theologian who believes that the Scripture prophecies of the Apocalypse (as in the Book of Revelations) will be fulfilled in the future
2: someone who predicts the future [syn: fantast]
3: One whose chief interests are in what is to come; one who anxiously, eagerly, or confidently looks forward to the future; an expectant.

Many years ago... there was a "futurist" that did the talk show rounds. Most futurist work in product development for large corporations. I am not sure a predictors age or feelings effect the future all that much.

I think humans... at their core will always remain animals.. albeit animals with a soul. As such... tools will always remain items that are "used".... and other humans will remain the primary focus of attachment. I love what the technology has to offer. But, with peoples natural lack of interest... and the pending depression.. I don't predict major wide-spread changes in the near future.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:40:37 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.