Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fluorescent wall switch  (Read 6534 times)

Aaron1312042

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Fluorescent wall switch
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »

The WS13A needs the Line; Neutral and Load wires to work.
Many newer homes have a Neutral in the switch box. That is spliced to the wiring going to the Load. If it doesn't you have to pull one into the box or the WS13A will not work.
That is why my older home has very few wall switches controlling a CFL as it has no Neutrals in the switch box.
My home also has the Line going to the light fixture directly. It then gets routed down to the switch and back to the fixture to its load connection. Called a switch loop.

Ok, thanks.  :)% I'll have to check the switch boxes. The engineered home was built in 1995

Aaron1312042

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »

I'm confused about installation. On the WS13a installation guide  it shows a load wire, but where is the neutral wire to the load (light)? Do you attach it to the WS13a box from the vacant "neutral" spot in the WS13a?

The neutral wire from the switch does not need to go to the load (light).  The light should just get a neutral independantly, not switched.  The switch is just switching the hot lead.  The neutral is just there to power the X10 receiver.

I hope this helps!   ;D

Stupid me. I forgot that any switch only powers the hot wire.

Aaron1312042

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »

The WS13A needs the Line; Neutral and Load wires to work.
Many newer homes have a Neutral in the switch box. That is spliced to the wiring going to the Load. If it doesn't you have to pull one into the box or the WS13A will not work.
That is why my older home has very few wall switches controlling a CFL as it has no Neutrals in the switch box.
My home also has the Line going to the light fixture directly. It then gets routed down to the switch and back to the fixture to its load connection. Called a switch loop.

Does the neutral have to be pulled from the light or can I use a neutral from a nearby 3 prong wall outlet? B:(

Msradell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:07 PM »

Does the neutral have to be pulled from the light or can I use a neutral from a nearby 3 prong wall outlet? B:(
Theoretically any neutral will work but in order to meet code it needs to be on part of the circuit of the same breaker.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:46:53 PM by Msradell »

Aaron1312042

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »

Theoretically any neutral will work but in order to me code it needs to be on part of the circuit of the same breaker.

I'll check the wall switch to see if it has a neutral in it and see if I have to pull the neutral back to the switch box from the light or same circuit. Thanks for your help!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.