Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera works - Ninja base does not work  (Read 10680 times)

james000222

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Camera works - Ninja base does not work
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

Hi all,

I think I know the answer to this from reading all the other threads, just want to be sure.

I just purchased a package deal:
SW26A   Vanguard Control Center Software
CM19A   USB RF wireless PC Transceiver
VA12A   HiRes USB Video Capture Adapter
VR42A   Tiny A/V Receiver
TM751   Small Wireless Transceiver
MS14A   6x Eagle Eye Motion Sensor
CR13A   Multi-camera remote
VK75A   Pan & Tilt Camera and remote
XX11A   Xcam2 wireless Weather resistant camera
XX20A   Nightwatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Camera

I have been wanting to play with these things for years, so when I got the sweet deal on the web for some (slightly) old hardware/software, I went for it.

I have the Vanguard software running in Vista. I am getting the rundll crash on video record - not worrying about that now.
All four cameras and Ninja base worked fine testing. All four cameras work fine installed (one has crappy signal, but hey it's working).

The Ninja base is farthest out from my PC (of course!). The software works fine, I can see all four cameras. The software and hardware versions of the remote controls (both) work fine. Firecracker is installed, testing works fine. Commands are sent/received, at least they show to be.

I see posts and comments related to how far the CM19A RF PC transceiver is from the Ninja base. Mine is about 50 feet away...and on the other side of the house, pretty much every conceivable electronic device imaginable in-between. The camera controls work fine. The ninja base pan/tilt controls are a no-go from across the house.

If I understand what I've read correctly, the Ninja base works on RF signal only, and not on power line signals. Right?

I'm not planning on moving my PCs - they're in my office.

I've tried extending the USB cable, but only by about 6 feet.

I've noted with a great deal of annoyance that there is an RF repeater -the SR731 - but it is out of stock and apparently discontinued. Nor did I want to pay $85.00 for something that should work out of the box...another story.

I have a phase coupler on order - but again, this won't improve RF transmission, will it? This is to boost video signal.

It appears my options are a realllly long USB cable (does quality matter here?) or a second hand SR731.
Are there any other options?

Thanks!
J

PS: Oh yes! What's the range on those Eagle Eye sensors? I understand they are heat detection, but from how far out? Specifically, about 20 feet?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Camera works - Ninja base does not work
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »

Yes pan and tilt is RF controlled.
Can you pan and tilt; with the remote in the Ninja Kit; if you are closer to the Ninja Base?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:12 AM »

...I have a phase coupler on order - but again, this won't improve RF transmission, will it? This is to boost video signal.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the video feed is sent on the 2.4 Ghz band.  (RF again).   The phase coupler improves Power Line Control signals on the house-hold wiring.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

james000222

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »

Can you pan and tilt; with the remote in the Ninja Kit; if you are closer to the Ninja Base?

Yes. It works right beside it, and I can get it to work outside, almost all the way back to my office.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the video feed is sent on the 2.4 Ghz band.  (RF again).   The phase coupler improves Power Line Control signals on the house-hold wiring.

Sigh. So, it appears that I really do need one of those amplifiers that are (for some reason) out of stock, and no longer made.

Why are they discontinued? Is there some kind of problem with them?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

I wish I knew why X10 no longer makes the smart repeater (RF).  One thing to caution on:  the repeater only repeated the RF X10 controls (aka. those signals in the 310 Mhz band), meaning that even if you had one, the video signal would still be unaffected.   :-[  Only thing it was good for was relaying x10 wireless signals such as "on" commands from motion sensors and associated remotes.  I'm pretty sure they also boosted the ninja signals as well.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.