Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Poor Man's Slave Switch (XPSS substitute)  (Read 12801 times)

Alpman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Poor Man's Slave Switch (XPSS substitute)
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:08:11 AM »

My first post...I'm still a newbie to this stuff, but I just thought I would share a problem I recently resolved.

I have a house built in 1906. It has been upgraded in the back half of the home to 12/2 & 12/3 Romex, but the front half still has cloth insulated single wire runs with no ground wires. All of the switches in the front of the house use traveler wires with no neutral in the box. I was able to run neutral home runs (PITA) to all but one switch located in my office. The wires are just not accessible. After searching the forum, I found a resolution, installing the XPS3 in the light box and using an XPSS slave switch for local control. One problem...I didn't have/order any XPSS slave switches and I didn't want to wait for one to arrive just to finish my project. The slave switch is essentially just a momentary contact switch with an LED status indicator...

So here is my solution...

I took a standard Decora switch apart, removed the rubber bump stop from the top or "On" position and used a spring from an ordinary ball point pin, cut to length, to return the switch to the down or "Off" position, converting it to a momentary contact switch. A dab of hot glue was used to secure the spring to the rocker plate, preventing it from popping out of the bump stop recess. I wired it up as line to line and load to control on the XPS3 and presto...a poor man's slave switch!!! I may take it a step further and try to add the status LED later, but at least it works for now. I can modify another switch and post pics if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:40:50 PM by Alpman »

Alpman

Re: Poor Man's Slave Switch (XPSS substitute)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:16:47 AM »

Sorry, I guess I posted this in the wrong area...still, I hope it is useful to someone.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:23 AM »

No problem.
Looked more like a modification.
I am sure others will find it a help.

Alpman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:37:01 AM »

After a little more research on the XPSS status LED, it appears that it is a "Dummy", inactive LED, just like the XPCP phase coupler LED. If someone who owns an XPSS could confirm this I would appreciate it. Thanks...

Alpman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:14 AM »

Pics...crappy iPhone camera, but you get the idea...

Pic #1 - Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the rocker from the Decora switch

Pic #2 - Rocker removed

Pic #3 - Remove the bump stop from the recessed cavity

Pic #4 - Cut off about 1/4" from the ball point pin spring

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:47:52 AM by Alpman »

Alpman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »

Pic #5 - Apply small dab of hot glue to the top portion of the rocker and attach the spring, let cool

Pic #6 - Align the spring into the recessed bump stop cavity and snap the rocker into the switch, be sure to align the slot in the base with the groove on the rocker

Pic #7 - You now have a momentary decora switch A.K.A Poor Man's XPSS slave switch
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:50:51 AM by Alpman »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »

The XPSS Installation Sheet points to the LED with an arrow and is labeled "In-Active"

Alpman

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »

Thanks Brian for the confirmation on the LED...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.