Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn AC off when window is open  (Read 6035 times)

Razorback

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Turn AC off when window is open
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

I have a small bed and breakfast operation and guests are constantly opening bedroom windows while still running their the window air conditioner unit full blast.

I'd like to rig it up where if a window is open the 220V AC unit cuts off, and when the windows are all closed the power it on to the AC.

Is there a way to do this wirelessly with X10? If so, what's a ball park figure on the cost?

I realize there can be a problem if people open and close the windows repeatedly causing the unit to cycle on and off. That will probably throw a breaker, but I can handle that better than the AC running with the windows open!

Thanks!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Turn AC off when window is open
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

door/window sensors and an appliance module capable of that voltage would be the hardware.

The software would depend on what OS you're running.

Razorback

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »

Software? You mean it takes a computer to make it work? Didn't think of that. I guess the window sensors aren't like motion sensors (sending a signal directly to a module).

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »

I'm no expert and haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn, in a long while, but...  :)

I think you'd want some software/smarts in the middle.
Something like:

- IF A/C Unit Is On
--  IF Window State Changes from Closed to Open
---  WAIT 30 SECONDS,  IF Window STILL OPEN
-----  Kill A/C

You'd want some way to restore the A/C power when the window is closed, but only if the motion sensors detect occupancy...

Oh my - this could get fun!!!
 :)%

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »

Another (non-X10) way to do it would be a simple electrical circuit.  Assuming it's a window air conditioner (not a thermostat-unit)

First you'd need a relay capable of turning the 220 off. 
Then, a simple alarm trigger - Either magnetic contacts or an alarm-type window plunger switch.

You're pretty much limited to low-voltage on the contact closures, say 12 volts.
When the window is opened, it interrupts the 12v power to the relay, stopping the power to the air conditioner.

I'm sure X10 could do it, but I have seen it done many times before with garage heaters.  When the garage door is opened, it shuts the heater off.  It was pretty easy to do with the low-voltage thermostat controls.  I'm not familiar with the internals of a window air conditioner, but I'm sure it has some type of relay from an internal thermostat.

A good electrician or handyman should be able to do it with no batteries involved!

A little off topic, but another way of feline hair removal!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:21:39 PM by nybuck »
>!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

To avoid software and a 24/7 dedicated PC, you could use the DS10A window sensor(s) / X10 Appliance Module(s) combination with a V572RF32 Transceiver. You use a computer to register/program the DS10A(s) to the V572RF32 once then it runs standalone.

Brandt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »

To avoid software and a 24/7 dedicated PC, you could use the DS10A window sensor(s) / X10 Appliance Module(s) combination with a V572RF32 Transceiver. You use a computer to register/program the DS10A(s) to the V572RF32 once then it runs standalone.

Oh cool. I didn't know the V572RF32 is programmable. I'll store that info for later  -:)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:23:54 PM »

OK, so I wasn't sure what a V572RF32 was - so I found it at:
http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html for $95 and up.

The scratch and dent price for a CM15A setup with all the software is $30 at:
http://www.x10.com/promotions/scratch_dent_sale_n.html  or normally $50

and I saw the DS10A (alarm window contacts) for 7 for $20 at:
http://www.x10.com/promotions/ds10a_ed_pk_1m_promo.html

Additionally, you'd need a high-amperage outlet module, like the HD243 for $30:
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_hd243.htm

I would ask an electrician if it could be done another way...
>!

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »

The V572RF32 is an excellent choice for this. I monitor the alarm sensors and use it to prevent drapes and shades from closing if the window is open (to prevent drape and shade damage from the wind, for example). Be aware, however, that the V572RF32 controls 2 pages of 16 devices for a total of 32. The second page (17-32) does not work properly (the choices are different and the response cannot be changed). WGL is aware of the software problem.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

I would use an HD245 which is a heavy duty 20 amp appliance module with a powerflash module connected to a normally closed magnetic window sensor.  The HD245 and powerflash modules can be picked up for under $20 each.  The magnetic window sensor switch can be bought for $3.00 or less.  you will also need some 2 conductor light (18 - 24 guage) wire to connect the switch to the powerflash module.

With these parts, no computer or programming of any modules is necessary.  When both devices are set to the same house/unit code, the appliance module will respond to the commands given by the powerflash module.  When the window is closed, the magnetic switch contacts will close causing the powerflash module to send an ON command which will turn on the appliance module.  When the window is opened, the powerflash will send an OFF command which will shut it off.

All items can be bought from SmartHome except for the 2 conductor wire.
Heavy duty appliance module(220V) - 17.26
PowerFlash module - $13.06
Normally closed magnetic switch - $1.24

The total for these parts is $31.56 + shipping, and then whatever the cost of the wire is.  No need to spend a hundred bucks or more.  Not to mention, this setup can be installed in less than 15 minutes.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brandt

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »

I was just quickly browsing their site.  Guess I missed the wire. I was doing more searching and found that you can get parts cheaper from the X10 shop.  There the HD245 is only $12.99, the powerflash is $8.99, and the magnetic switch is $5.99.  That's a bit cheaper at $27.97 for the parts without the wire.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.