Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: scheduled power off of AV equipment  (Read 4482 times)

rb1980

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
scheduled power off of AV equipment
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »

I like to watch TV at night, but frequently fall asleep while doing so and wake up at like 5AM with the BigScreen and Surround Sound still on (usually playing some gawdawful infomercial) and sucking power.
Unfortunately none of my devices have a "sleep" mode or any internal power timers, so I want to come up with a system to shut everything off at a certain time every night (say midnight).
I do not currently have any x10/home automation devices, so am looking for recommendations on what I would need to get started.
I figure there are a few approaches that could be taken, so would like to get some input from others.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: scheduled power off of AV equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »

I like to watch TV at night, but frequently fall asleep while doing so and wake up at like 5AM with the BigScreen and Surround Sound still on (usually playing some gawdawful infomercial) and sucking power.
Unfortunately none of my devices have a "sleep" mode or any internal power timers, so I want to come up with a system to shut everything off at a certain time every night (say midnight).
I do not currently have any x10/home automation devices, so am looking for recommendations on what I would need to get started.
I figure there are a few approaches that could be taken, so would like to get some input from others.

With X10 it's easy enough to remove power from an appliance like a TV at a certain time.  However many TVs will lose their programming if you do this and you'll have to go through the channel and audio setup each time you repower the TV.

Before making any X10 buying decisions, test how each of your appliances reacts to unplugging from the wall, then replugging after an interval of an hour or more.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »

I would think that most of this could be done with an IR commander.  I myself do not have one, but would imagine it would work as that is what the IR commander is for.  I am guessing that with possibly a mini timer could be set up to do what you want.  Others in the forum can correct me if I am wrong.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »

I would think that most of this could be done with an IR commander.  I myself do not have one, but would imagine it would work as that is what the IR commander is for.  I am guessing that with possibly a mini timer could be set up to do what you want.  Others in the forum can correct me if I am wrong.

The standard mode of operation for the IR Commander is for VCR Record_On/Off.  If you can train it so that the Record_On is instead the Power_On/Off toggle and ignore the Record_Off, it ought to work.   You would need one IR Commander for each appliance.

There is another mode of operation which X10 doesn't advertise because the software they supply for it is so buggy it can't be said to actually work.  The device is shipped with a cable with three IR emitters which can nominally be used to control three appliances by emulating remote buttons.  Unfortunately the codes for the various remotes are stored in firmware and haven't been updated in years, so are likely to work only with older appliances, and only those with 3-digit remote codes.

Working software to operate the IR Commander under MS-Windows is included in the plug-in for Tuicemen's PC Companion.  Under Linux/Unix/Mac OSX, the LUX23 front end for Heyu can be used.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

rb1980

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »

Yeah, sorry... I should have mentioned I was thinking "IR" and not actually "removing power" from the devices... that would probably not be good. Looks like IR Commander might be a good starting point. Although, I'm a little concerned with needing one IR commander per appliance... that could get pricey. Ultimately, I'd like something that I could "learn" the IR codes from my remote(s) and re-transmit at the designated time.
Maybe this would be a good excuse to build that HTPC I've been dreaming about and just use an IR emitter from there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:04:18 PM by rb1980 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »

You really must use the IR... and many ways are available to remove a cats fur coat.

I have setup macros that can operate with my "automated chair". Currently the only macro I use via the the chair reads me the current weather and turns on my TV and cable box in the morning. But the OFF ability is there and simple to do.

But I use a Home Automation Computer, with BVC, attached to an [X10] CM15A, running 24/7. Not the simplest setup... but it can do lots of cool stuff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:32:25 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rb1980

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »

Would one of these puppies: http://www.smarthome.com/31281/EZUIRT-Universal-IR-INSTEON-Transceiver-5010H/p.aspx coupled with a timer device do the job?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:37:27 AM by rb1980 »

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »

I haven't done this - so take this as a typical Internet Forum Comment...  :angel:

I think I'd be reluctant to go an X-10 route for this application.
All of my TV gear are on nice surge protectors and a UPS or two.

I think those are classic signal suckers.

I guess you could get it to work by careful placement of the modules - but I'd probably check to see that I can get an X-10 signal to my TVs and stuff first.

I have a HTPC, so I'd probably just go with a $50 USB-UIRT.
Which is a Universal IR Transceiver that hooks up to the PC's USB port.
And then either program something myself or look at a software product like Girder.

Again - could be my personal bias.
There's no chance of an X-10 signal making it into my TV room right now.
It's all isolated from the rest of the house.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.