Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installation questions...  (Read 3469 times)

technologicallydeclined

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Installation questions...
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

First of all, thanx in advance for any help or info. I'm a (older) newbie to all this high tech stuff so be gentle...lol.
Here's my two questions: For ACtive Home Pro and modules.
1. (The easy probably dumb one) I just got the software download link and used it. No prob. But when I went to install, one of the messages confused me and left me with a sinking feeling i'd screwed up already. The manual says to download and install software BEFORE connecting modules. The software as it installed seemed to be searching for something to install the drivers to.. which isn't connected because I was told to install first. Question: Will it just do it's thing if I plug the usb thingy in or do I need to start over. I don't want to get a messed up install before I even start. 

2. Is there any way to create a full backup copy of Active home that will run in the event of a total crash without having to get a new copy downloaded? Sorry if this isnt a new question but I didn't really understand the how to in the posts I read. Something about ghost/mirror image copys...BLah... I'm getting to old for this...(blank)...lol.    The reason I ask is ,I'm using a kinda shaky older machine I don't completely trust but can't afford to replace....    B:( 

Is it possible to put it on a second machine, not networked, just in case?   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:27:11 PM by technologicallydeclined »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Installation questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »

First of all, thanx in advance for any help or info. I'm a (older) newbie to all this high tech stuff so be gentle...lol.
Here's my two questions: For ACtive Home Pro and modules.
1. (The easy probably dumb one) I just got the software download link and used it. No prob. But when I went to install, one of the messages confused me and left me with a sinking feeling i'd screwed up already. The manual says to download and install software BEFORE connecting modules. The software as it installed seemed to be searching for something to install the drivers to.. which isn't connected because I was told to install first. Question: Will it just do it's thing if I plug the usb thingy in or do I need to start over. I don't want to get a messed up install before I even start. 

2. Is there any way to create a full backup copy of Active home that will run in the event of a total crash without having to get a new copy downloaded? Sorry if this isnt a new question but I didn't really understand the how to in the posts I read. Something about ghost/mirror image copys...BLah... I'm getting to old for this...(blank)...lol.    The reason I ask is ,I'm using a kinda shaky older machine I don't completely trust but can't afford to replace....    B:( 

Is it possible to put it on a second machine, not networked, just in case?   

Firstly, what the "download and install software BEFORE connecting modules" means install the software FIRST.  Once the software is installed, before opening it, plug the CM15A into an AC outlet and the USB cable is plugged into the bottom of the CM15A and into a USB port on the PC.  Once all this is done, reboot the PC. This is to load X10Nets.exe, which allows AHP to know module status. Once rebooted and once Windows loads,  Open AHP.   If this is a totally new entry into the world of X10, open MyHome.ahx.  I presume you know how to set housecode and address on modules.   If you make any changes to MyHome.ahx (adding modules,etc) save it with a new file name.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »

Thanks Dan, very helpful. But...   :'
Is it a big deal if it was installed AND opened before the module was plugged in? Will it sort of "Plug and play" around this oops? Or did I mess up the works? I swear I didnt remember telling it to run. But I guess I did. Because well..it did.

Second. The ext. is, I assume where all the important backup operational setup info is stored then. That's a relief. AHX rules.
And again thanks for getting back to me so quickly.   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »

TD. I have installed AHP on my main computer where I will now be playing.
I still have an older copy of AHP and interface on a backup computer.
I don't have a interface at present on the computer and have run AHP nothing bad will happen.
All that happens is a message box pops up saying no interface was found.
In my case x10nets.exe starts everytime the computer is booted even with NO interface and AHP not started yet.

I would backup the small program installer program your email link got you and a copy of the email with the registration information.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:52:10 PM by Brian H »

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »

>!Thanks guys. Very helpful. I just wanted to make sure I started nice and clean.  It's  nice to know there's all this help just a post away...  TD

PS: Dan I just found your post on saving the ext. so you don't lose your setup info...sigh. Sorry to make you repost. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:59:49 PM by technologicallydeclined »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »

Thanks Dan, very helpful. But...   :'
Is it a big deal if it was installed AND opened before the module was plugged in? Will it sort of "Plug and play" around this oops? Or did I mess up the works? I swear I didnt remember telling it to run. But I guess I did. Because well..it did.

Second. The ext. is, I assume where all the important backup operational setup info is stored then. That's a relief. AHX rules.
And again thanks for getting back to me so quickly.   

Can you be a bit more specific?  AHP and X10 are not "Plug and play".  AHP comes with only two .ahx files, MyHome.ahx and Samples.ahx both have file dates of the last release of AHP.  They are sample files.   The "ext" is always .ahx.  You have to add modules to AHP, there are examples for each type of module AHP supports.   You can "drag-n-drop modules in the Rooms you create.  Rooms should be where the modules are located, like "Living Room, Master Bedroom, Bathroom, etc.  Modules have addresses, like B 1 (First is Housecode, second is unit)  There are lamp, appliance and other types of modules, and specialized modules for Fluorescent Lights, Motion Detector spotlights, and all sorts of modules.  The one thing in common is all have an address.

As to the backup, you get to do that. AHP does not.  Also, you may have done this:  In AHP, did you set your country, location (City & State) and time zone?    
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

B:(My way of phrasing things was bad. Your post on saving the ahx files that contain the settings/changes/etc you've made/added to rooms etc cleared things up for me. I think I understand. As to plug and play I meant connecting the (usb cm15a?) to a computer with the software already installed and run without the unit attached.  Bad analogy...  But I did understand what you said.
The only question that arises is: What exactly do YOU back up to prevent total meltdowns from being disasters? Which files or directorys/folders to get back up the quickest. Just call me paranoid but Ive had some crappy crash happy computers over the years...lol. I really should know more with how long I've been aound computers. I guess this is why I've been so slow to try things "techy or beyond a pull down menu or two...lol.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »

The only question that arises is: What exactly do YOU back up to prevent total meltdowns from being disasters? Which files or directorys/folders to get back up the quickest. Just call me paranoid but Ive had some crappy crash happy computers over the years...lol. I really should know more with how long I've been aound computers. I guess this is why I've been so slow to try things "techy or beyond a pull down menu or two...lol.

The first thing to backup is the installation files you downloaded to install AHP and the CM15A drivers in the first place.  You will also want to make yourself a text file with your registration codes and which plugins each one is for.   

The next thing would be to save any .ahx files you have created and note where you have them saved (if other than the AHP folder).  Whenever you make changes to your .ahx files by adding, deleting or changing an modules macros and timers, it is a good idea to save or update your backups.  If you are staring out with AHP and making frequent changes, you may want to keep a 5 day rolling backup.  By this I mean keep backups for each day up to 5 days.  When you save your backup that day, you delete the one from 5 days ago.  That way if you have to fall back on something you did a few days ago you can. 
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »

Sets my mind at ease. THanks guys! Will do what you suggested.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.