Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About to buy $15 cloak/remote deal but got questions..  (Read 11903 times)

pchlpdr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
About to buy $15 cloak/remote deal but got questions..
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:10 AM »

About to pull the trigger on the $15 Component Cloak (PM5900SD)/Learning Remote (UR73SD) deal. Got a few questions.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that both my bed and tv are pretty much in fixed locations in my bedroom, but I have a hard time aiming my tv remote at just the right angle for the tv to receive the IR signal. Sort of my version of the cable box is behind a cabinet door.

As I scroll down the page it shows an emitter cable. I always thought it was called an IR Blaster, but in any case, it attaches to my tv's IR receiver with clear tape I assume and plugs into the powermid receiver if not hardwired too it. Thus, allowing me to place the powermid receiver within the length of the emitter cable.

Does this imply that the powermid receiver will see my remote's IR signal and send it to the emitter cable attached to my tv?

So is the powermid receiver an "in-room" IR extender? I don't have to use both powermids in the same room if all I am needing is to "reposition" my tv's IR receiver?

Why is X-10 calling it a Cloak when the picture says powermid?

I have a UR74A remote already. What's the difference between mine and the UR73SD?  Seems as if SD means recertified (repaired). The UR is Universal Remote, mostly likely. The difference between 73 and 74?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: About to buy $15 cloak/remote deal but got questions..
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:32:38 AM »

IR Blaster maybe a trademarked device name.
Yes the optional emitter plugs into the PowerMid Receiver and tapes to the device you want to control. The receiver also has a built in IR emitter so if the receiver was in the proper place would control the TV.

The PowerMid Transmitter unit takes the IR command from the users remote and sends it by an RF signal to the receiver. The receiver then converts the RF back to IR. The transmitter unit can be in a different room to control the TV or what ever you want. This was used by many with the video sender units to control the sending device in a different room, than where they where watching the video being sent.
Maybe that would be the reference to cloak? Control from a different room in a cloak fashion.

The Icon RF and the newest Icon Nstinct remotes. Can send an RF signal to the Powermid receiver to control a device in a different room also.
The SD Suffix is probably the indication it is from the Certified Like New Sale. Some say it is Scratch and Dent.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Platinum_Universal_Remote
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/5-in-1_Universal_Learning_Remote
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Remote_Sender_%28PowerMID%29
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:10:36 AM by Brian H »

pchlpdr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:22:21 AM »

Alas, no place to to put the receiver in front of the tv. That's the main reason I was asking about the emitter. Any idea how long the emitter cable is?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »

I don't think the RX569 IR Extender Cable is part of the PowerMid kit and was a separate purchased item.
I bought a PM5900 and the RX569 IR Extender cable was not part of the kit.

I did find the length was 6' if the description was correct. On the Crutchfield web site.
X10 no length given.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:25:52 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »

Alas, no place to to put the receiver in front of the tv.

I turn my TV and Cable box ON via a "occupied chair macro". My Home Automation computer sends the IR signal (via BVC). The PC sends an IR signal to a PowerMid (IR cloak) then the receiving/resending unit  is placed on shelf of my entertainment center. The unit blasts out enough of a IR light signal that even though it isn't facing the TV or cable box (it's actually behind both) it works fine.

I use a similar setup in my home theater.
image attached
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:21:42 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

I have a UR74A remote already. What's the difference between mine and the UR73SD?  Seems as if SD means recertified (repaired). The UR is Universal Remote, mostly likely. The difference between 73 and 74?

If memory serves correctly, the UR73 lets you choose the TV brand (for example) from a list.  Once you program it, you got whatever buttons are pre-programmed.  The UR74 is a Learning remote, meaning you could make it work for a TV that is not on the list, or add your cable box commands to the TV commands by teaching it keystrokes.

I hope that helps!  ;D
>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.