Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bottlerocket, debian linux, TM751, DOCSIS powerline  (Read 10038 times)

WTHJ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
bottlerocket, debian linux, TM751, DOCSIS powerline
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »

Hi.  I recently put my DOCSIS modem and Linksys router on extension cords with off/on switches because of the hassle in killing power and re-powering a) the DOCSIS modem off for 30 seconds then on, b) the Linksys modem on 30 seconds after the DOCSIS is re-powered.  This is because my cable provider seems to drop the connection frequently requiring these devices to be shutdown and restarted to regain a functional IP address.  The off/on switches are close by my keyboard so I don't have to rummage around with the plugs.

I wonder if anyone has written a script for bottlerocket that will ping the 192.168.100.1 IP address and when it loses connectivity for any length of time, kill power to the DOCSIS modem and wake it up again after 30 seconds, wait a period for pings to be answered and if not, reboot the DOCSIS again, repeating until connectivity is established?

I was considering going into the Linksys VOIP modem and bringing out the signal to the phone LED, building a circuit that would kill power to the DOCSIS modem when the VOIP line goes down and restart after 30 seconds and repeat until VOIP is back up but then remembered I have TM751 module that's been sitting in a draw for years, tested if it will power and kill power to the DOCSIS modem, found it could and decided to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

WTHJ

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: bottlerocket, debian linux, TM751, DOCSIS powerline
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »

I've experienced internet loss myself, and I have to say it's usually not the cable company but maybe one of your computers flooding the router. In most cases if you hook a single computer directly to the cable modem when your having this problem, you will still have internet access.

Make sure you go to a website like speedtest.net to make sure you are getting the speed you are subscribing to both with the router in the path, and while directly connected to the cable modem.

You will find that when you have little or no internet it is because the router becomes flooded with packets being sent from one of your computers from a service such as music sharing for example or torrent downloads.

The only way to really find out what is causing the problem is to install the WireShark packet sniffer on each one of your computers on the network and sniff their interfaces for runaway packets which will flood the router and cause loss of internet for the rest of the network.

What I ended up finding after almost 6 months of internet connectivity problems was that my NAS which does online backups to Amazon S3 would occasionally have problems connecting and then would start firing off hundreds of nslookups per minute to amazonS3. This would flood the network and my internet download speeds would go from 3Mbps on speedtest.net to less than 1Mbps where it was completely intolerable.

EDIT: An easy way to test this theory would be to shut down all your computers when there appears to be no internet, and reboot one of them and after the computer reboots, immediately navigate to speedtest.net and check your speed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:23:39 PM by Brandt »

WTHJ

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

I have a Windows machine that runs a scheduled Firefox connect to a few web pages between 7-8AM so when I sit down with my breakfast I immediately start reading news.  I download my favorite TV programs rather than watch on cable so I avoid commercials.  My main system is up 24/7/365 if I'm lucky.  When the weather gets colder and I start running the heater I fire up a number of other machines running Folding@Home as does my main machine for my team Soyrunner.

It's usually the morning after my favorite shows air that I sit down to breakfast and find all my expected web pages show Problem Loading Page and I need shut off power to both the DOCSIS and Linksys routers, wait 30 seconds and turn on the DOCSIS then another 30 seconds and turn on the Linksys router then start refreshing Problem pages and go on with my breakfast.  I've a CCNA, albeit expired.

I'm in rural deep south. 

I have to check next time it happens to see if the 192.168.100.1 address is actually down or if only its external IP has become unassigned.  If so I could run my test pinging yahoo.com instead of the DOCSIS internal port.

Rebooting the DOCSIS modem restores connectivity.  That's the way I'll go whether with software/TM751 or just hardware.  A script to toggle the TM751 would show a fix soon.  Building a circuit to monitor the VOIP phone LED would have to wait until after I finish building gates for the chicken run on the coop and finished testing then installing a battery powered solar charged drill motor driven automatic coop hatch.

WTHJ

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:41:21 AM »

ping the 192.168.100.1 IP address and when it loses connectivity for any length of time, kill power to the DOCSIS 

I *just* dumped Comcast internet for Qwest DSL Friday. :)

Interesting that you lose connectivity to that cable modem.  In my case, the cable modem would be alive but connectivity to the outside world was lost.  And mine was at 192.168.1.100, for what that's worth.

i googled around and saw a couple of scripts that did a "wget" on a specific page on the modem to hit the reset button on it's web page if the modem was offline.  I found em by Googling for "<modem model> reset script".

WTHJ

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »

Sounds good.  I'm about an hour into learning BASH online to write the script.  I have heyu working and switching the TM751 from the command line.  Retrieving the DOCSIS Status page and running grep to count instances of Operational seems to fail.  I'll probably go with pinging yahoo.com or some other, e.g. a GoToMyPc address or something similar.  When it's done I can simply unplug a cable to test.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.