Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP erratic Behavior  (Read 5569 times)

rlcohen7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP erratic Behavior
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »

I thought I had solved the problem of CM19A not turning lights on or off by relocating the TM751 tranceiver. I was mistaken. The system's behavior is erratic. It sometimes turns the lights off but not on and at other times turns them on but not off. The icon on the AHP screen shows the switch going from off to on and and on to off but the lights themselves do not follow suit.

Any ideas why this occurs?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: AHP erratic Behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »

Yes, could be intermitent system noise, could also be coupling problems, could be marginal transmissions between the CM19 and the TM751, etc.  Is there a pattern? i.e. does system work OK in the morning and not at night, etc?

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Did you try the TM751 in the same outlet where you originally had the CM11A? Appearently you had good house PLC signal coupling there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:28:43 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rlcohen7

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

There might be a pattern but it is hard to tell given the apparent randomness of response. My outdoor lights are programmed to go on at dusk and off at 1 am. The system seems unable to turn them on but if I do so manually, it shuts them off as scheduled. On the other hand, if I run tests of my indoor lamp modules during the day the on/off commands work sometimes but not always.

I can't easily plug the new TM751 into the outlet where I used to have the HD 11A. I do have my older TM751 plugged in to an outlet in the next room. It always worked OK with my system. Last night I only used that one with the outdoor light result noted above. By the way, I also have an X10 noise supressor plugged in where I used to have the HD11A. Any clues here?

Thanks for your help. I am supposed to have a conversation with a X10 level 2 tech one of these days.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »

If you have two TM751s on the same house code. They could be stepping on each other and garbaging the power line signals.
As they are not polite and blindly send a power line signal when an RF command is received on their house code.

rlcohen7

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »

Since yesterday I have only been using one TM751. Still, strange things are happening. I have been testing the automatic response of the system by setting the lamp timer (D1)  to go on a minute or two in the future and then off a minute later and downloading the timers to CM19A. This works only sometimes, most of the time the light does not turn on as scheduled.  When it does not, however, another light (D10) goes on even though its icon on AHP shows it to be off. I then have to turn D10 off from the AHP screen. It does not go off automatically at the time specified for D1. This is driving me batty

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »

From what I have read about the CM19A is it is NOT a transceiver like the CM15A and without the TM751/RR501 transceiver it cannot put X10 signals on the power line regardless of what X10 USA tells you.     
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »

....and you cannot download timers to the CM19A.  It only executes timers while AHP is running and connected to the CM19A...  not that this would cause what you are experiencing....   :'
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »

The quirk in AHP. Is with the CM19A; it still gives you the option to download to it and if you check the memory used it says about 1.5%. :o

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

From what I have read about the CM19A is it is NOT a transceiver like the CM15A and without the TM751/RR501 transceiver it cannot put X10 signals on the power line regardless of what X10 USA tells you.     
?   rlcohen7 said he was using a TM751. Your comment is confusing.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

Well part of the confusion on the CM19A is X10 defines it as "USB Firecracker Tranceiver"

I always think of an X10 Tranceiver is being one that takes an X10 RF command and sends it on the power line. Like a TM751;RR501; CM15A and even the console from the DS7000 can put standard RF commands on the power lines.
So can a CM19A put an RF signal on the power line. NO it needs a added one to do it.
Is it a transceiver? Well by X10s definition it could be call one. Sort of. rofl
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:54:01 PM by Brian H »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »

Ricohen7, I always thought a transceiver was a device that receives and transmits.  In this case the cm19 is a transceiver that transmits and receives RF.  It doesn't have any memory that you can download to, so downloading timers and macros does nothing.  Being a RF transceiver the cm19 needs a another transceiver (RF to PLC  like Dan stated) to put the RF signal on the power line. This way you can turn your modules on and off. Like Brian stated, the quirk is with AHP saying that you can download to it.  Just another flaw in  AHP.

The cm15 is a transceiver that CAN receive RF and either put the signal on the power line or send another RF signal out.  The cm15 DOES have memory in it to where you can download your timers and macros. 

Just what I always thought, anyway.    :)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

Ricohen7, I always thought a transceiver was a device that receives and transmits.  In this case the cm19 is a transceiver that transmits and receives RF.  It doesn't have any memory that you can download to, so downloading timers and macros does nothing.  Being a RF transceiver the cm19 needs a another transceiver (RF to PLC  like Dan stated) to put the RF signal on the power line. This way you can turn your modules on and off. Like Brian stated, the quirk is with AHP saying that you can download to it.  Just another flaw in  AHP.

The cm15 is a transceiver that CAN receive RF and either put the signal on the power line or send another RF signal out.  The cm15 DOES have memory in it to where you can download your timers and macros. 

Just what I always thought, anyway.    :)

You are correct.   The CM15A can put X10 signals on the power line, the CM19A needs a transceiver (TM751 or RR501) to put X10 signals on the power line.  By using ONLY the CM19A you need two items to do what the CM15A does by itself.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

rlcohen7

lso
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

Thank you all for helping me understand the functionality of CM19A. From your comments it appears that the function of CM15A or the HD11A unit I have been using, which accepts, stores and transmits timer instructions to lamp modules etc is approximated by the CM19A/TM751 combination. One key difference however, is that the CM19A must send a wireless signal to TM751 for transmission to a lamp module while that step is obviously not necessary in the case of CM15A nor HD11A. From what i have been seeing it appears that that wireless data transmission is unreliable (perhaps due to a faulty CM15A) causing my problems. Another difference may be that unlike CM15A or HD11A, CM19A does not store the timer instructions and merely transmits them from AHP to TM751.

I havde an appointment to speak to an X10 level 2 tech on Tuesday at which time I'll try to verify these beliefs. If this is all true, it appears that I would want to replace CM19A with CM15A. I have tried to find CM15A as a stand alone item on the X10 website without success.

Also, I have questions about MyHouseOnline. Must you have your computer on at home in order to access AHP from a remote computer? Further must you install AHP on the remote computer to be able to install the plug in which permits remote access?

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: lso
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »

Also, I have questions about MyHouseOnline. Must you have your computer on at home in order to access AHP from a remote computer? Further must you install AHP on the remote computer to be able to install the plug in which permits remote access?

Your computer must be left ON for the MyHouse Online to access your AHP from a remote computer.

The remote computer merely needs an internet browser to get access to your home computer / AHP host computer.

I have had limited luck and gave up on the MyHouse Online plugin, and use a VNC such as "LogMeIn".  It allows me to use a password to log straight into my home computer from anywhere on the internet, including a cellular data connection.  Many users have expressed very poor luck on connecting consistently with MyHouse Online, and I don't believe you can turn lights on and off with it, while I do have that ability with a VNC.  It is tricky to set it up properly, as you have to navigate through your firewalls, router, etc. and most internet IP addresses change periodically.
>!

rlcohen7

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

In addition to the computer being on, must it also be running AHP for remote access?

My problem is that we leave home for an extended period in the winter and although I have a spare computer that I leave home, i'm uncomfortable leaving it on for an extended period. It is susceptible to power outages, reboots, etc that may require manual intervention to resume operation. 
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.