Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slimfire Signal Distance Problems  (Read 2964 times)

dstartz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Slimfire Signal Distance Problems
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »

I recently installed a Universal Module X-10 (UM506/PUM01) connected to magnetic contacts attached to my garage door. I set up macros in my AHP to turn on a light in the house and sound a remote chime (SC546a) when the door opens and keep the light on as long as the door is open. Once the door closes the light goes out and the chime sounds again. (That way I can hear if the door has closed if I can't see the light.)

Today I installed a Powerflash module(PSC01/PF284) inline with my garage door opener. I set up a macros in my AHP so that the chime sounds when the Powerflash is activated (double chime says the door is opening; single says it's closing).

My plan was to use a Slimfire remote (KR19A) to activate the Powerflash, but I'm having trouble getting it to activate from a distance. I installed a transceiver (TM751) in the garage and now if the garage door is closed and the Slimfire is on the outside the opener will activate, but only if you're no more than 4' from the door. (The transceiver is just inside the garage door.)  :-\

What can I do to extend the distance I can be from my house and still get my garage door to activate using the Slimline?

(I'm trying to use Slimlines so that I can have additional garage door openers w/o spending a fortune.)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Slimfire Signal Distance Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

What can I do to extend the distance I can be from my house and still get my garage door to activate using the Slimline?
(I'm trying to use Slimlines so that I can have additional garage door openers w/o spending a fortune.)

What I think your saying is.... your using a Universal Module to open your garage door... and you want to extend the range of the Slimfire remote (KR19A)/transceiver (TM751) setup.

Since you must have a door opener installed... I'd just pick-up a new [garage door] remote for it at sears or your local garage door place or big box store. They are cheap and much, MUCH more secure than X10. You can even look on-line for cheap prices.

But if you want to increase the X10 RF range around that big metal door.... get as far away from the metal door as you can. The metal garage door grounds out the RF signal [sorta].
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dstartz

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »

get as far away from the metal door as you can

Do mean get the Powerflash, the transceiver or the Slimfire as far away from the metal door as I can?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »

Do mean get the Powerflash, the transceiver or the Slimfire as far away from the metal door as I can?

The antenna of the transceiver. Near a window would be best. And you can use an extention cord if needed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:30:47 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dstartz

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:15 PM »

Thank you!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.