Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: piggy-back devices?  (Read 4396 times)

wmarkhay

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
piggy-back devices?
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »

Many of you will probably find this ridiculously stupid to even be asking, and I can see reasons it might be impossible, but I get ideas that I would like to try... in this case I tried it briefly with no success, but with the inherent flaky nature of x10 decided I'd ask before giving up completely.  Is it possible to piggy-back 2 x10 modules, e.g. a socket-rocket in a socket controlled by a WS4(6 or 7)7 wall switch?  The initial idea came from having a pair of floodlights at opposite ends of my back patio controlled by the same wall switch.  I've put an x10 switch there that works fine, but I got the idea that if I could put a socket-rocket between the flood bulb and receptacle on both of 'em, I could not only on/off/dim them as a pair but could individually turn one off by the SR and leave the other on.  Brief try did not work, looking for confirmation it's impossible and, better yet, another way of accomplishing same (without wiring another circuit).

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: piggy-back devices?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »

It probably won't work as a Socket Rocket does not dim but a Wall Switch does.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »

No. The X10 signal will not pass through a Lamp Module or Wall Switch. It will pass through an Appliance Module if it is in the ON state.

Subject induced rabbit trail: I use two Appliance Modules in series with a device to ensure the device never comes on accidently.  The disadvantage is the ON and OFF signals must be given sequentially and in order.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »

Hey … watch it … I have the corner on trying “ridiculously stupid” concepts here!  ;D

1.  I have used a WS13A relay switch as an Enable-Disable switch with a downstream Levitron HCM-10 Dimmer (1000W) controlling two sets of 150W-each floods (4 lamps total, 150W each, 600W total).  When Enabled (WS13A relay ON), I can control the downstream HCM-10 Dimmer no problem.  When Disabled (WS13A relay OFF), no lighting occurs.  So, the X10 commands are getting through the WS13A relay switch.

You can ONLY use a relay switch - no electronic switch modules … that leaves out the WS477 wall switch.

2. Socket rockets have 150W max rating.  So no-go if you’re using TWO 150W lamps in a dual floodlight fixture.  Also, even if you’re only going 150W, the sock-rock is at it’s maximum rating.  That’s why I went with a Levitron 1000W unit - plenty of design overhead.

You’ll get all sorts of ideas here.  You could (I think) use a relay switch as a master ON/OFF and a sock-rock for EACH flood socket - even outdoors, and control all your flood lamps individually.  Again, I didn’t go that way since I wanted to run 150W lamps and the sock-rock is rated at 150W.  Yes, the rating is sufficient - I just want more design overhead.

Just wanted to express what I did that did work.

wmarkhay

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »

Thanks to all of you.  Seems I COULD do what I want with a set-up like Dave's, although I'm switched with a 3-way from house back hall and garage, so not sure how WS13A works in there (haven't looked at or used one of those yet).  Clearly, since SR is not dimmable, and my goal is to be both dimmable and individually on-off (no need to be individually dimmable do different degrees), my original idea couldn't fly.  But I'm always thinking about this crap (to my wife's chagrin) and will keep up if anybody else has anything to add!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

Be careful. Dimming a SocketRocket for even a very short period of time could kill it... at BEST. Using electronic products in ways other than the way they were intended could make it difficult to collect on your insurance [after your burn your home to the ground].

Be sure to store important papers in a safety deposit box away from your home. Check battery and operating conditions of your smoke detectors.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:07:35 AM »

You may be in luck if the switch leg for both lights come to the switch.   Please check, It may be possible to put a wall switch in for each three way location to controll the lights individually. If the lights are in a daisy chain config then there may be another option where you use in line devices. I am not familiar with the model number right now.  I will get back later if no one else does.
M M ElectricMan

wmarkhay

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »

Both 3-ways have 3 wires connecting... is there something beyond that I need to check for to see how your condition is met?

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »

Yes! how many other wires are in the box with them.
Like power in on one end
and switch legs out at the other, Hopefully the two lights feeders come into the switch box separately.
M M ElectricMan

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.