Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Certified Like New????  (Read 10765 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Certified Like New????
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »

Hi guys trying to help a friend with buying some backup equipment security equipment. Keep seeing X10 advertise "Certified Like New" alarm equipment anyone know exactly what this means I've had enough problems although not lately with their new equipment so I'm somewhat concerned when they say like new. This may actually be the same equipment they give you for merchandise that's still under warranty. Anyone know for sure don't want to suggest anything to a friend that might be more trouble then it's worth. Thanks!

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Certified Like New????
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »

Generally we believe it to probably be customer returns which are checked out. I have not ordered any, but those who have, have commented on the forum that the items are usually in plastic bags rather than the blue X10 boxes. AFAIK everything worked. Why don't you search the forum for the term. It should turn up a lot of comments.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

J.B.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »

I've purchased several certified like new items and have had no issues so far.
Two CM15As have been in plastic bags with very old date codes but look and work as new.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

I also bought an extra cm15 but mine came in an original box.  Works like it should.  Also bought the cm19 kit when it first came out with AHP, it also works fine except for the range which everyone should know by now.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »

I also bought an extra cm15 but mine came in an original box.  Works like it should.  Also bought the cm19 kit when it first came out with AHP, it also works fine except for the range which everyone should know by now.

My original CM15A is now my back-up. The one I use.... is one I bought from scratch N dent. Works great!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »

I've purchased several certified like new items and have had no issues so far.
Two CM15As have been in plastic bags with very old date codes but look and work as new.

Say thanks to everyone that replied! How old were those dates? and did the equipment you received looked in pretty good shape,well that's good. Might be a little concerned about those dates if you can approximate the age of the CM15A's and do you have a certified like new security console?

Tom j.

J.B.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

One of the CM15As had a date code of 2004. Looks and works as new.
The other had a code of 2007.
Other modules I received with the order were said to be certified like new, but I believe were actually brand new items.
I'm actually waiting on a certified like new DS7000 that should ship out Monday.
I'm a ways away from the warehouse and sometimes orders can take close to two weeks to get here.
I will try to remember to post back once I receive and test it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »

J.B You may find the firmware in the 2004 model is different.
I have two 04J41 has P10792E. 04J44 has P10792F. All the rest of mine starting at 05C10 have P10792M.
You may find the way RF signals are handled by the 2004 is slightly different. With a HR12 Palm Pad that sends the RF signal three times. My oldest two process it as one RF event. The newer ones process it as two RF events.

J.B.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »

I have two 04J41 has P10792E. 04J44 has P10792F. All the rest of mine starting at 05C10 have P10792M.
You may find the way RF signals are handled by the 2004 is slightly different. With a HR12 Palm Pad that sends the RF signal three times. My oldest two process it as one RF event. The newer ones process it as two RF events.

I haven't checked this yet, but thanks for passing along the info.
I'll make sure I keep it in mind as not to think there is an issue with it if I put it to use later on.
I only did a quick test with each unit I received to ensure it was picked up and that it would transmit and receive commands.
I've used several to troubleshoot some issues I've had and ensure it wasn't the result of a faulty CM15a.
I'm currently using a 2006 model that I've done both a receive and transmit antenna mod on.

I've had two different 3 watt models, one with polarized plugs and the other having matching sized prongs.
I assume the older 3 watt versions have the different firmware.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »

I have no idea why X10 changed it from 3 to 6 watts on the label.
As far as I can see nothing has changed inside them electronically, except maybe the firmware.
Maybe the 6 watts reflects when the power line transmitter is sending data?

tom j

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

Say thanks Brian that's rally good to know say any idea if they have improved the range on the CM15A's that was always my major complaint thinking about doing a mod for a better antenna. Hope JB remembers to get back and report on the CLN DS7000 he just ordered might even buy one of those to backup my DSC system, I just want to always be covered. Thanks

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »

Sorry I missed answering sooner.
I don't think the newer units have a better RF receiving range.
I did notice some differences in the receiver daughter board but never did a true distance test. The later ones have the extra receiving antenna neatly arranged around the case. The older ones it was a random ball of wire stuffed into the case.

J.B.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »

Just received my certified like new DS7000 system.
All components (DS10As, MS10As, KR10As, PH508s) appear to be brand new other than the main console and SH624 that came in plastic bags.
The PS561 console has a small scratch on the side but seems to be operating properly. The SH624 looks brand new even though it was shipped in a plastic bag.
So far all components tested are working properly.  :)%

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »

Just received my certified like new DS7000 system.
All components (DS10As, MS10As, KR10As, PH508s) appear to be brand new other than the main console and SH624 that came in plastic bags.
The PS561 console has a small scratch on the side but seems to be operating properly. The SH624 looks brand new even though it was shipped in a plastic bag.
So far all components tested are working properly.  :)%
Ditto here. Date code underneath the battery compartment on the PS651 shows 08, so it's not particularly old either. Seems to be 100% in testing so far.

We should really write up a version tracking thread/wiki page for the modules we know have had revisions.  :' -:)
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

J.B.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »

All of the items I received have a date code of 2010, other than the 2 items that were shipped in plastic bags.
The console also has an 08 code and the SH624 an 09 code.

I'm almost thinking a lot of the items are just old stock or had the boxes damaged in shipping to x10.
None of the certified like new items I've received looked the least bit used, even if they have a small scratch. Most things normally pickup some dust or fingerprints etc... if they were used previously, but these don't appear to have any signs of that, even in casing joints.
The battery terminals also have no signs of ever having batteries inserted.
Not a bad deal, IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:09:41 AM by J.B. »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.