Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fan/Light module for ceiling fans  (Read 23272 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Fan/Light module for ceiling fans
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »

Wire-in module for instalation in ceiling fan shroud. Two outputs, one dimmable for lights, and one output for fan motor with 3 speed reactive output for buzzless motor control which sadly the XPDI3 does not provide.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Fan/Light module for ceiling fans
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »

Sound like a good idea. I have a fan in my Dining Room that has lights, a dual module that controls both (two different housecodes) would be great either as a wall type switch or one in the fan shroud.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

I just hooked up a single XPDM to mine, and use a 2-button XPT (one for the fan/light, and one for the kitchen) The switch replaced a single gang 2-switch setup. If I had room in the fan shroud, or really felt like it, I could also put an XPDF up there for the lights and get a new keypad for the XPT, but then only 1 out of 3 devices controlled by the XPT would be dimmable...

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »

I just hooked up a single XPDM to mine, and use a 2-button XPT (one for the fan/light, and one for the kitchen) The switch replaced a single gang 2-switch setup. If I had room in the fan shroud, or really felt like it, I could also put an XPDF up there for the lights and get a new keypad for the XPT, but then only 1 out of 3 devices controlled by the XPT would be dimmable...
XPDM? do you mean XPFM? If so, yeah I already use them (sorta).

I have hacked Appliance Module and Lamp Module to convert to XPDF and XPFM wire-in modules, painted them white, attached to ceiling next to fan shroud. They blend in pretty well. But would be nice if X10 made a single board unit small enough to fit above fan in the shroud (like the RF units you can get in the home improvement stores) with switched capacitors instead of a snubbed triac (i.e. XPDI3) to eliminate motor buzz. I think it would be a good selling product.   

X10 has already had this suggestion and their silence means they are not interested.  I think I will make the Ed Cheung "No Hum Fan Controller" http://www.edcheung.com/automa/nohum.htm and combine with a Lamp Module board and install in attic above the fan(s). Unfortunately Ed is not offering the etched PC boards or the caps any more, so it is difficult to get motivated. Been a long time since I have etched my own PC boards.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:27:33 PM by dave w »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

XPDM and XPDF?

I have hacked Appliance Module and Lamp Module to convert to XPDF and XPFM wire-in modules, painted them white, attached to ceiling next to fan shroud. They blend in pretty well. But would be nice if X10 made a single board unit small enough to fit above fan in the shroud (like the RF units you can get in the home improvement stores) with switched capacitors instead of a snubbed triac (i.e. XPDI3) to eliminate motor buzz. I think it would be a good selling product. 

X10 has already had this suggestion and their silence means they are not interested.  I think I will make the Ed Cheung "No Hum Fan Controller" http://www.edcheung.com/automa/nohum.htm and combine with a Lamp Module board and install in attic above the fan(s). Unfortunately Ed is not offering the etched PC boards or the caps any more, so it is difficult to get motivated. Been a long time since I have etched my own PC boards.

RATS!!!!   It would be a good item.  How many X10 users have fans with lights?  A lot, I think.  I'd love to put both on X10 (My fan in the Living Room is on X10 with a PRO XPS3 controlling it) but X10 is known by a lot of us as brain dead.

vanda32547

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »

XPDM and XPDF?

RATS!!!!   It would be a good item.  How many X10 users have fans with lights?  A lot, I think.  I'd love to put both on X10 (My fan in the Living Room is on X10 with a PRO XPS3 controlling it) but X10 is known by a lot of us as brain dead.

Would love an X10 item for my Ceiling Light/Fan. What the hell are they waiting for? Would seem to be a popular item if they offered it.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

Like I said earlier in this thread, X10 is so brainless they would never create it.  I don't really think it would be a hot item IF they made it, given the fact that X10 has NEVER been mass marketed.  In Baltimore where I live, Home Depot and Loews both stocked x10 items 10 or more years ago, both dropped it as sales were so tiny they couldn't make any money on it.   

crapface

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »

I would like to get one that controls the different rotation and the (on/off would be good enough for me)speed, it would be nice to be able to change that along with the thermostat if you wanted your house warmer or cooler. This would be great for spring and fall where the temperatures vary so much.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »

Forget about it.  X10 ain't the least bit interested.    There are at least 2 people from X10 who post here regularly and know what's going on in the threads and this one was started back in November of last year with quite a bit of ideas. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »

Yeah CF, this "Wish List" thread which X10 set up really hasn't gone anyplace. Dan is right, X10 doesn't give a flip. They just created the catagory so we can amuse  them.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »

Just for giggles, why don't we just lock this topic?  Everybody can read it, but nobody can add to it.

crapface

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »

I would say that now how the market is, they probably need to make cutbacks just like any other company.
i was 1/2 way thinking of hacking my units and making a base plate for my ceiling fan units. I was just hoping they might just develope it so I wouldn't need to.

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »

Been a while since I have been around and playing with my X10 setup - has been pretty stable, can't complain too loudly :)

Anyways, I am going to throw this out.  "In this economy" is something that we hear thrown around a lot - but would anyone here argue that X10 would NOT be a good way to cut costs?

I have put in a number of items that are intended to do just that - cut costs.  I have timers on my main electronics to keep parasitic draw down.  I have an outlet in my office that turns everything off at night other than the tower PC and the backup drive - everything else gets powered down - printer, monitors, speakers, the works.  I have seen my bill on average drop about $15-$20 a month that I can PROBABLY directly attribute to X10 stuff...

All that said, think about it - how often do fans just run all day when no one is home?  Kids leave the lights on?  Just think about it - I would think this would be something that would have a positive impact...  But hey, maybe I'm applying logic where logic does not necessarily apply :)

Bob

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »

Just think about it - I would think this would be something that would have a positive impact...  But hey, maybe I'm applying logic where logic does not necessarily apply :)
Logic is sound, but as history has indicated (so far) X10 doesn't see enough profit to throw engineering time at the suggestion.

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »

Logic is sound, but as history has indicated (so far) X10 doesn't see enough profit to throw engineering time at the suggestion.

I hear ya - I just wish I had the skills to make it work myself...  I got a few of the Black and Decker outdoor extension chords with the X10 built in that I was thinking about converting into a sort of in-line module, but prolly would end up burning down my house with my luck :)

Bob
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.