Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP Crashing on "download Macros and Timers" command.  (Read 10762 times)

Rider1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP Crashing on "download Macros and Timers" command.
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »

I have the latest version of AHP and it is crashing when I go to update the Macros and Timers. It will not crash if  I have them run from the PC but as soon as I try to update to the CM15A, it crashes.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: AHP Crashing on "download Macros and Timers" command.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »

We need more information, like the version of AHP you have and any plug-ins to it.  Also any other information of X10 hardware (modules and any other X10 equipment). 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10inGA

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »

I have been having the same problem as Rider1 for over a month now.  I had been using ActiveHome/X10 for at least 10 years, can't say trouble-free as we all know X10 is always a challenge, but had gotten past all the quicks and had a workable setup for many years.  That is until I purchased and installed ActivePhone, iWatch Mobile, and OnAlert Mobile.  Now every time I try to download timers and macros, AHP crashes.  The only way to recover is either reboot which sometimes works, or in most cases reinstall AHP.  This works, until I try to download timers and macros again.

I have AHP v3.296 on a WinXP SP3 machine, using the CM15A Interface.  I have two CM15A's, one as a backup just in case.  I have tried with both and AHP crashes with both, so it's not hardware.  Plug-ins currently installed are as follows:  Smart Macros, iWatchOut, MyHouse Online (uninstalled on my last fix attempt and have not installed as I no longer use it) OnAlert and the newly installed ActivePhone, OnAlert Mobile, iWatch Mobile.  My ActiveHome setup include a wide variety of hardware (Wireless Cameras, Alarm Modules, Motion sensors, Lamp Modules, Wall Switches, etc) and macros.  Just too many to detail.

Since the problem started, I have fully uninstalled ActiveHome, deleted all remaining folders and files for X10, fully reinstalled the most recent versions, and at one point actually had it working for a day or two, only to start all over again.  The crashing does not seem to happen immediately, but a few hours after the install, or after a reboot and in one case after a few days.  I was also seeing numerous/frequent interface errors.  After the 3rd try (full uninstall, clean files, reinstall, etc) I simply gave up and because of the amount of time I seem to have been wasting on it, but would like to get back to tinkering with it to get it working.

My worst fear is that the new versions of AHP may have an issue with older macros, etc and that I may have to rebuild my entire setup (modules, timers, macros, etc).  For now, I am setting up AHP on a newly configured machine for further testing.  If the problem persists, I will rebuild my entire .ahx profile.  If after this the problem persists, I will officially give up on X10 and ActiveHome since it has really taken up way too much valuable time throughout the years.  Rebuilding my vast .ahx profile will take an incredible amount of time, and will be the last and final straw..   >*<  

If anyone else has run into this problem and was able to successfully resolve it, please let us know what the solution was.  It would be greatly appreciated!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:15:56 PM by X10inGA »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

Try totally uninstalling AHP (use the Add-Remove option in the Control Panel to fully uninstall EVERYTHING) once that's done, ONLY install AHP, no plug-ins and see if AHP works fully by itself.   If it does, then add the plug-ins one at a time, fully checking that everything works properly before installing another plug-in.  Do the check again.  If you get to the last plug-in with no problems then something in the first install wasn't done right.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »

Yes, and out of all the plugins, install ActivePhone last.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

X10inGA

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

I've done the above today, still crashes immediately upon downloading timers and macros, even a fresh, clean install on a new system.  It only happens with my ActiveHome profile (current .ahx file, as well as a backup from Oct 7th and another one as far back as February, well before the problem started), so am convinced that the new AHP version has a conflict with either a module or macro in my setup.  It seems that AHP 3.296 has problems something created in previous versions of AHP.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no easy way to find out, other than either going through the existing setup, module by module, macro by macro, or simply recreating the whole thing as a new .ahx file.

If only there was a way for X10 support to look at my .ahx file and tell me what the problem is with it.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »

I've done the above today, still crashes immediately upon downloading timers and macros, even a fresh, clean install on a new system.  It only happens with my ActiveHome profile (current .ahx file, as well as a backup from Oct 7th and another one as far back as February, well before the problem started), so am convinced that the new AHP version has a conflict with either a module or macro in my setup.  It seems that AHP 3.296 has problems something created in previous versions of AHP.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no easy way to find out, other than either going through the existing setup, module by module, macro by macro, or simply recreating the whole thing as a new .ahx file.

If only there was a way for X10 support to look at my .ahx file and tell me what the problem is with it.

I'm positive your current .ahx files are corrupt. The best thing to do is delete any .ahx files you have and make new ones from scratch. (Write down all the House and Unit codes on all the modules both plug-in and wall mounted to make it easier for you to reconstruct your .ahx files).     

X10inGA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »

I restored the old machine from an old Ghost backup from February of this year which brought AHP back to v3.228.  I tried it with my current .ahx as well as the one from February and it works fine with both.  No crashing on downloading to the interface, so the file appears fine, at least for that version of AHP.

I tried the old .ahx file on the newly setup machine with AHP 3.296, and both the new and old crash AHP when downloading timers and macros.  So again, confirming that v 3.296 does not like something (a macro or something) that was created in the old version.

I am now (and have been since 11/27) in the process of reconstructing my entire setup from scratch, starting with a whole new .ahx file on the new AHP machine.  This will take quite a while as there is A LOT to recreate.  I’ll add all the modules first and test before creating any macros.  I will then add macros one by one, testing the download of timers and macros after each one, that will make the rebuild take even longer, but at this point, it needs to be done so I know what it is that is causing AHP to crash.

I'll keep you posted.  Hopefully it will work and will turn out to not be a problem with the new AHP 3.296 instead of my .ahx file.  Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it’s not all an entire waste of my time as it was for another user (Amr42  as reported on his 11/9/2010 post http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21775.msg124370#msg124370 ) who went through the whole process only to have it start crashing again after creating a few macros.

X10inGA

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »

Update..  I have finally recreated my ActiveHome profile (.ahx file) to a point.  I did so in stages and tested (Added only the regular lighting modules, saved and tested by downloading to the CM15A interface and then tested ActivePhone.  I then added the camera modules and remaining modules, saved and tested all as before, added the timers, saved and tested all).  All worked fine with just the modules and timers, NO MACROS ADDED.  It downloads fine to the interface and works fine with ActivePhone, iWatchMobile and OnAlertMobile.  I even noticed that the ActvePhone Palm Pad had labled all of my modules automatically, AND it defaulted to my main or monitored house code instead of A.  It did not do this when I installed it over my original AHP setup/.ahx profile.
>!

BUT..  As soon as I started adding macros the problems began.  I had only added four macros, saved and downloaded to the interface.  They downloaded fine NO CRASH yet, BUT when I tested the ActivePhone palm pad it no longer had ANY lables for any of the modules.  They were all blank.  It also no longer defaulted to my main or monitored house code, it defauled to A.  I deleted two of the four macros, and the lables and correct house code default came back.  I readded one, the lables were gone, and again defaulted to house code A. 

So, this so far proves that there is in fact a PROBLEM with macros and ActivePhone Palm Pad labling.  I don't know if it's the number of macros or the type of macros that it has a conflict with.  Two of the four contained Conditions (Alarm related) as well as flags.  I have 29 more macros to add and suspect that the crashing on downloading timers and macros will soon begin if I continue to add them.

This crash problem started for me on 10/15, soon after installing the mobile plug-ins (ActivePhone, iWatchMobile and OnAlertMobile) wich updated to AHP 3.296 and I have been trying to narrow down the problem since then.  It does not occur on older versions of AHP.  Unfortunately, after over 10 years of X10 use, my setup is not a small one and has a good number of macros, so troubleshooting is time consuming to say the least.   I tried everything before finally giving in to starting over from scratch and recreating the whole entire setup and so far, I've definitely cofirmed there is a problem with the ActivePhone Palm Pad and macros.  I also susecpt the crash was not due to a corrupt .ahx file as others suggested..   B:(

I now have several versions of the .ahx file saved so I can revert back to when it worked fine (without the macros), but I really need to get it working with my macros.  Unfortunately this is where X10 Support should step up.  In the mean time, I will continue to add my macros to see at what point the crashing starts, and hopefully can find out with what type of macro (if it's not simply due to the number of macros).  Unfortunately, the time I can devote to this these days (now that my vacation has ended) is limited and my patience has run very low after over a month of working on this almost daily (during my vacation and now after work hours)..

I'll keep at it as time allows and will post my findings.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »

ActivePhone has been updated to version 3.299. Some of the others are up to 3.297 or 3.298.
You might want to try installing the latest version.
You can get the latest versions of all of the plugins here:
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

X10inGA

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »

ActivePhone has been updated to version 3.299. Some of the others are up to 3.297 or 3.298.
You might want to try installing the latest version.
You can get the latest versions of all of the plugins here:
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

Awsome..  I just checked my AHP version and it is in fact now 3.299.  I was not paying attention on my most recent re-install and didn't realize they had updated it.

More good news.  I've been steadily and cautiously adding macros and testing as I go and I've got 13 macros loaded.  I did have ONE crash of AHP after creating a macro with email notification, and when trying to relaunch it froze as when this whole thing started, but this time it loaded fine after a reboot and downloaded timers and macros with no problems.  The two macros that caused ActivePhone palm pad lable and house code issues I've deleted in order to test with the rest of my macros.  I have since added several more macros and tested both ActivePone Palm Pad as well as downloading timers and macros and so far so good.. 

I now have a wide rage of macros, some including conditions, flags and email notifications, but have yet to add the ones that include conditions based on alarm status which I had problems with earlier in my fix attempts (caused ActivePhone palm pad not to display lables and default house code A)..  I'll work with those and the rest of the macros tomorrow.  Keeping fingers crossed.   As a precaution, I'm working with a MyHomeTEST.ahx file and after adding to it and testing successfully, then saving as MyHome, MyHome1, etc in stages. 

X10inGA

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »

CRASH...   B:(

Downloaded timers and macros and the AHP crash issue is back.  The worst part is, after all that work, I had it working fine and even though I had not yet finished adding all my macros and had NOT added any new ones since my last, thorough successful test of both ActivePHONE and downloading timers and macros, the next day it started crashing again for no apparent reason, with no changes, so as careful and methodical as I tried to be in order to find out what exactly was causing the crash (What macro, module, timer, etc), it was all a waste of time since it didn't happen after adding any one specific item, but overnight, the day after a full successful test. 

So, let's recap.  1.  The whole problem with AHP crashing when downloading timers and macros, and then freezing on re-launch with the only way to relaunch was after a reboot of the computer only to crash again the next time AHP decided a download was needed (frequent errors stating it needed to download timers and macros) started after installing the mobile plug-ins, which incidently also updated AHP.  2.  I started all over with......  a. New computer.  b. Newest versions of AHP and all the plug-ins installed.  c. Newly recreated the the whole .ahx setup (all of my modules, timers and most of my macros), d. tested with both my primary and my backup CM15A interfaces.  Still think it's a corrupt .ahx file?  I think not.  Especially since I'm not the only one having this issue.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21553.msg124369#msg124369
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21775.msg124370#msg124370

Back to the drawing board!!
>*<
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:49:06 PM by X10inGA »

JMac

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:01:10 PM »

Sounds like a nightmare and I admire your persistance.  There is no way I'm going to purchase and download ActivePhone, OnAlert Mobile, and iWatch Mobile now.  I'm just going to use my version 3.228 and plugins until everything gets sorted out.

X10inGA

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »

Another full day wasted on my ActiveHome Pro.  My new wife who has been extremely patient and understanding, is sick and tired of me working on this thing and wants me back.  I too want my life back!!
This problem started on October 4th and after a total of 2 months of my time and patience devoted to methodically trying to resolve this unsuccessfully, it is now time to devote my time to other things. 

After all the work and time I invested into resolving this issue, just when I seemingly had it going, it now crashes randomly, not only during downloading timers and macros, and the error "An error occurred when communicating to your ActiveHome USB interface" has increased from a once in a while thing, to several times an hour.  Clearly a software issue with the new AHP versions.

I am going back to AHP v3.228 for now, forgetting the new AHP version and any of the new mobile plug-ins.

Best of luck to everyone!!

anthonylavado

• At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »

@X10inGA, @JMac

Sorry to hear about all the problems you guys have been having. I admire your persistence in trying to get everything resolved.

I'm currently at 3.299 with all plug-ins (Mobile, Mobile Pro, and all regular; yes, all plug-ins possible) installed on both my XP SP3 Box, Win7 x64 box, and have not run into an issue with either a CM15A or CM19A yet.
If I do, I'll follow similar troubleshooting steps so we can help track down the issues.
Until then! >!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:45:57 PM by anthonylavado »
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.