Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Filters - Has anyone built a noise filter that works better than X!0  (Read 2840 times)

WaldoDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have read somewhere that someone recommended a purchase for a filter and built them from scratch.  I think the cost was around $2 to $3.00.  I would like to go to a higher amp rating than 5. amps if possible.

There has to be some alternate way but I do not know which or where to buy filters.  >!http://

I have a problem with a signal sucker TV, Home Theater, DVD and Game plugged into power strip.  Sometimes the lamp module on the circuit works and sometimes not.

I know a filter is needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Waldo

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 Filters - Has anyone built a noise filter that works better than X!0
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »

Go here:

http://www.hometoys.com/article_search.php#search_results

In the "author" box, type "Kingery".

Phil Kingery knows as much about X10 as X10.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: X10 Filters - Has anyone built a noise filter that works better than X!0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »

I have read somewhere that someone recommended a purchase for a filter and built them from scratch.  I think the cost was around $2 to $3.00.  I would like to go to a higher amp rating than 5. amps if possible

There is no way you could beat the price of the XPPF.  Even just a simple plastic case with a plug and receptacle costs about the same as the XPPF on eBay.  Add a PCB and a couple of high current inductors, and you are way over the price of the XPPF.  There are more expensive 10A and 15A plug-in filters sold by other companies.  Unless you are lucky to find the components you need surplus, I doubt that you can build a packaged unit for less.

I did recommend a cheap fix for a lamp to reduce noise radiated from a CFL, but that would not be useful for other applications.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.