Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BVC - wired whole house audio  (Read 25747 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: BVC - wired whole house audio
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

If it was going through a sound card on a computer. Many times it has the bias voltage on it. Though it maybe a 1/8" stereo jack on the PC.

jarleifv

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »

you're correct on the Brian, the ring will usually have the 5+..

I picked this up just now on ebay..seemed like an ok deal..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230559420026&si=tn8KvF1PiQ91fUE8rT3nIaliujo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

this should be fun!
 :'

jarleifv

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

wow, this microphone is crazy sensitive!

question..how do I prevent BVC from muting the Line in after accepting the attention phrase, for then to re-enable the microphone input instead of the line input which i'm actually using? I understand the reason for muting the input, but the microphone is actived instead of line afterwards...

after I say "Computer", i can't give any more commands since the Microphone input seems to become the one that's loved thereafter..

any ideas?

Thanks!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »

jarleifv,

I have never heard of it doing that before!   :o   ???

What version of Windows are you running?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »

wow, this microphone is crazy sensitive!

Too much input/volume is... generally speaking... a problem for many users. Don't input anymore volume than you actually need. You can't change the setting for this in your basic setup. You will have to change your settings in control panel to reduce volume and select the default input device (line in).

question..how do I prevent BVC from muting the Line in after accepting the attention phrase, for then to re-enable the microphone input instead of the line input which i'm actually using? I understand the reason for muting the input, but the microphone is actived instead of line afterwards...

Once again... your going to have to setup the micrphone/line-in control panel. This video might be helpful.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8Hf-LNwiw
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jarleifv

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »

I'm not sure i'm explaining things properly..

I've set up the volume control to hear the microphone through the line-input. The computer can hear me, and the input meter is jumping up and down indicating there's signal going to BVC. When i speak the attention phrase, I have BVC setup to answer me back with "Yes sir". During the computer speaking this phrase, if I look at the windows volume control mixer in another window next to BVC, the Line-input becomes un-selected, and after the computer is done speaking, the microphone becomes selected, instead of the line-input. It's not a volume issue per se as far as the input getting clipped, the computer can understand me just fine.. maybe I'll try it with the default sound file as a response to the attention phrase and see what happens..

jarleifv

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »

jarleifv,

I have never heard of it doing that before!   :o   ???

What version of Windows are you running?

I'm running Windows XP, SP3.
and like my last post says, I have BVC setup to answer me back with a custom phrase instead of the sound file..maybe that has something to do with the described behavior?

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »

I'm not sure i'm explaining things properly..

I thought you did a really good job of explaining whats happening.

Make sure that the "line in" is selected in the control panel settings as the microphone input by default. Make sure you select [check] the "mute" (so the computer doesn't hear itself).

Then since the computers soundcard may attemp to protect itself and "flip" [as you put it] if the volume is too great... don't use anymore input volume than is required. Getting the settings correct and fine tuned is a little time consuming... but this works.

jarleifv

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

I got it!!   :)%

I had to remove the microphone as an input source from the Recording Controls mixer, otherwise the Microphone keeps getting selected after every spoken response through the TTS engine. I can click "Test" in the response settings, and the Microphone is automatically selected following the spoken test.

The only way I could keep BVC from activating the microphone after every spoken response, was to un-select the microphone in the mixer.

this is probably due to the fact that I have a USB sound card hooked up to the tablet pc, maybe incompatible drivers or something?  I'm not sure, but I'm not using the microphone input on this soundcard anyway, so until I decide to use the microphone input (for what I don't know...), I'm not going to worry about this little curiousity..

I tracked it down through registry monitoring using Process monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645).

Thanks for the suggestions..i think this is one of those "you had to be there to see it" kinda occasions..

now to fine tune the sensitivity and find a location for the microphone..

this thing is SUPER sensitive.. It's currently stuffed into the christmas tree about 4 feet off the floor, and I can talk to BVC from the living room, dining room, bathroom in the doorway, and the kitchen..oh and from halfway up the stairs to the bedroom...from ONE mic...obviously the TV drowns any voices out and renders BVC useless, but I think that's a voice recognition design without a noise canceling setup..

I'll keep ya posted, and videos will come! ;)

>!

jarleifv

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 09:58:01 PM »

ok, so never mind my last post..I had to select the default input device in Control Panel in the Speech applet...     :'

I'm going to refrain from stating how many years I've been in the computer industry..and just admit right now that I certainly don't know everything..   rofl

jarleifv

Re: BVC - wired whole house audio - updated with video
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »

Here's a video I just made after reading bedtime stories to my computer for a while..  :)%

enjoy!

>!

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150105802030616

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »

....and enjoy it I did!

have a +1.

Is it just me, or is the computer just a tad slow in the x10 commands?  I guess we just live with the 1/2 second pause before the command is acted on around here.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

jarleifv

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »

you're right indeed, it IS a little extra slow i think.. It might be due to the fact that I haven't rebooted the 'ole tablet PC in about 2 weeks..should probably do that right now..
I power cycled the x10 unit and no change..

off to reboot the computer...(i HATE rebooting the computer..maybe I should look into a linux solution.. lol)

>*<

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »

VERY nice (and a helpful from me as well).

The slowness... is that.. or could that be from playing a wav or MP3 file... or spoken (typed command)? Or could you have an update waiting? I turned the automatic updates Off... for my HA PC.

You can... make the PC auto-reboot at a convenient time.

jarleifv

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »

yeah, I rebooted the computer and it didn't seem to make a difference..
I'm only running AHP, BVC and Weather aloud, and really nothing else...no antivirus, no toolbars, nothing else in the system tray, and nothing else plugged into the computer but a keyboard/mouse, USB soundcard for line-in, and the CM15A...

the computer is a only a 1GHz P3 somethig, too crappy of a computer for BVC and AHP?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.