Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Low Message  (Read 11903 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Battery Low Message
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »

So all of a sudden there's a somewhat hysterical looking message on the Nstinct remote's display that says I should change my batteries NOW!

Of course I complied, but also checked the batteries with a battery tester and they were still OK at 75% full of charge left in them.

What's up with this?  :-\

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Battery Low Message
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »

If the battery checker checked them under a load. Then maybe the Nstinct is too sensitive to declaring low batteries.  ???

I have not seen anything else on where it decides the batteries are too low.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:19:29 PM by Brian H »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »

maybe a tad off topic but related?  How do ds10's tell ahp low batteries?  perhaps one of the 32bit security code bits reserved for battery low?

I have replaced batts and it seems to me once this turns on, it never turns off again.  I believe all my sensors show low batteries.  anyone else have that experience?

birdzeye

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

maybe a tad off topic but related?  How do ds10's tell ahp low batteries?  perhaps one of the 32bit security code bits reserved for battery low?

I have replaced batts and it seems to me once this turns on, it never turns off again.  I believe all my sensors show low batteries.  anyone else have that experience?

I've also had DS10A's showing a low battery in AHP, but the batteries are in fact OK. I've had to reset the entire security system after that happens because it throws everything out of whack.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »

For what it's worth, I generally ignore the battery low popup on the Nstinct until it gets too annoying.

Typically that's an extra week at least before it starts refusing to do anything else.

Even if the batteries go flat, it doesn't erase your settings or anything, so I wear them out good.

Still, meter at a little under 50% strength when removed though.   :'(
 >!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:16:00 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

mike

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »

thanks Bill.

In my case, I have replaced the batts when they start to show low on ahp icon just to find they test almost new still (1.4v under load).  I have not replaced a batt for about a year now - have had the low batt the whole time - and they still go strong.  I figured i will just replace 1x/year and ignore the stupid wrong icon thing. 

R birdseye and I the only ones who see this?  perhaps x10 owns stock in a few battery companies?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »

thanks Bill.

In my case, I have replaced the batts when they start to show low on ahp icon just to find they test almost new still (1.4v under load).  I have not replaced a batt for about a year now - have had the low batt the whole time - and they still go strong.  I figured i will just replace 1x/year and ignore the stupid wrong icon thing. 

R birdseye and I the only ones who see this?  perhaps x10 owns stock in a few battery companies?

Sorry, just clarified my earlier post.  I was talking about the Nstinct remote.

Actually I run the CM15A without any batteries.  Which does tend to cause problems when the power blinks.   :'
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

mike

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

not cm15 batts, ds10 sensor batts is what I was referring to.  right now I am 4 for 3:  4 show low batts, 3 show no problem.  yet all batts are likely good based on past experience. 

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »

Right now one of my DS10A's is blinking a low battery icon in AHP.
Has anyone else had that happen? Is it normal?

mike

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »

Yesterday was my semi yearly batt replacement day.  of my 4 low/ 3 no lo indicator ds10s, ALL but 1 show over 1.5v on each battery!  replaced the 1.4v one with brand new heavy duty alkalines that measure 1.6v, and guess what?  lo batt indicator is still on!

no, I think the lo batt indicator bit in the 32bit word sent out is flaky.

BTW, most of my eagle eye motion sensors were around 1.3v and still worked fine but they got new batts too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.