Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a alarm sensor for our back door lock  (Read 12110 times)

jwoods

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I need a alarm sensor for our back door lock
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »

we have a pool in our new home and have three kids, with the fourth on the way. We want to make sure the back door is locked at all times. If the oldest goes outside the back door to do anything we want them to lock the door and when they return inside to lock it back. We would like some sort of alarm to sound any time the lock is open to remind anyone going in or out to lock it back.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Thank you!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: I need a alarm sensor for our back door lock
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »

I think my Garage Door Reminder Macro could handle that:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=14721.msg81860#msg81860

I my case... I use a computer generated voice reminder. My reminder not only announces the [garage] doors opening and closings but if the door is left open... it reminds every few minutes. (my reminder can be seen/heard in this YouTube video)

You could do something similar... using AHP (with the CM15A) and the entire software suite. So that a chime would chime every couple minutes if the door is left open... or the locks bolt doesn't close a switch. There isn't a "kit" for this. You will have to design and construct the setup yourself.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »

As far as the bolt position sensor portion, how about this: Securitron Latch Monitor Installation Instructions (Acrobat pdf)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »

As far as the bolt position sensor portion, how about this: Securitron Latch Monitor Installation Instructions (Acrobat pdf)

There you go!

Maybe mix the "bolt position sensor" with a door [magnet] reed switch and a cheap MP3 player connected to a speaker. Sorta like RCaddict's idea for a DIY Robo Dog only using contacts instead of a motion detector.

The MP3 player would have to have a recording (many will record) and set to play in a continuous loop. The recording would say something like: "lock the door upon entry. This door must remain locked at all times". Then the speaker wires would feed through the switches and into a amped speaker (like a computer speaker). If the door is closed and unlocked the recording would play through the speaker... until the door is locked.

You can even make your own cool computer voice warning here:  http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

I love this stuff!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »

I think my Garage Door Reminder Macro could handle that:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=14721.msg81860#msg81860

I my case... I use a computer generated voice reminder. My reminder not only announces the [garage] doors opening and closings but if the door is left open... it reminds every few minutes. (my reminder can be seen/heard in this YouTube video)

You could do something similar... using AHP (with the CM15A) and the entire software suite. So that a chime would chime every couple minutes if the door is left open... or the locks bolt doesn't close a switch. There isn't a "kit" for this. You will have to design and construct the setup yourself.

You know Bill I saw this a while back but I say it again today and I have to say it's really impressive that plus you can't beat the price. Going to really have to look into this. Does the software also have the computer generated voice or is this an addition you have to obtain. Thanks, GREAT JOB!  #:)

Tom j.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »

One note:  I don't think that I would trust X10 when it comes to your child.  It has been know to fail at some time.  I wouldn't forgive myself if I setup x10 setup for this and it failed to trigger and I lost my child.  Just my thoughts though.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »

I agree with Hawk1
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »

I agree with Hawk1
Ditto.
X10 is great fun as well as useful software/hardware but should never be depended on if life or limbs are involved. This is particularly true if X10 macros are involved that require a computer to be running. Any X10 door alert you use for this application should have a non X10 backup.
A pool cover should be used any time the pool is not in use for any extended time. Also a float alarm for the pool is a good investment as well.
I don't know the kids ages but I strongly recommend swimming and water safety lessons for all including infant classes as early as possible.
I think a simple local door alert that beeps are dings when the door is opened till reset along with the awareness of all the adults and older children in the house may be your best approach.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »

.... Does the software also have the computer generated voice or is this an addition you have to obtain.

The Computer Voice used in my videos (see below) is the Kate 16 bit voice which I bought for around $50. But the Anna (Free microsoft... Vista and 7) voice is very nice. And directions to download it for free use on XP is at Bills BVC Forum.

X10 is great fun as well as useful software/hardware but should never be depended on if life or limbs are involved.

I have to admit... I missed that this was to be used as "child protection" from a pool. I would not depend of ANY device to protect a child from a pool. However... several devices could be helpful. Mechancial locks, and locked down covers might be useful.... I don't know what the "standard" is for pools now-a-days.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:26:46 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »

.... Does the software also have the computer generated voice or is this an addition you have to obtain.

The Computer Voice used in my videos (see below) is the Kate 16 bit voice which I bought for around $50. But the Anna (Free microsoft... Vista and 7) voice is very nice. And directions to download it for free use on XP is at Bills BVC Forum.

X10 is great fun as well as useful software/hardware but should never be depended on if life or limbs are involved.

I have to admit... I missed that this was to be used as "child protection" from a pool. I would not depend of ANY device to protect a child from a pool. However... several devices could be helpful. Mechancial locks, and locked down covers might be useful.... I don't know what the "standard" is for pools now-a-days.

Say Bill once again Great Job I think I'm really going to like this setup, I downloaded the following Speechsdk51.exe is that the correct one you mentioned "Anna" hope I got the right one. I'm buying a new laptop with windows 7 professional will it come with the voice software and were do you access it. Thanks again and say Have A Great New Year!

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

.... Say Bill once again Great Job I think I'm really going to like this setup,
Tom j.

Sorry... maybe I replied when I shouldn't have. Maybe this confusion is more widespread than I thought. -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) is the creator and owner of Bills Voice Commander (BVC).

I started using Bills Voice Commander back in its early days (Nov 2006)... it was called BXVC back then. I was sold on controlling my X10 with the speech recognition software the minute I tried it. I've often been called BVC's biggest fan.

The biggest problem with Voice Controlled Automation had always been the microphone setup. Generally the microphone setup required real audio skills... and deep, full pockets. Several of us on the forum saw real potential for BVC if we could overcome the microphone setup hassles. So we tested different methods and products. Many worked... a few didn't. Then I tried the Baby Monitor Microphone setup.

Later I entered an X10 contest with a YouTube Video that showcased some of my X10 setup and since (back then) I had a Geocities free Web Site... I added a Fan Site for BXVC. The geocities days are gone... but I still maintain a BVC Fan Site. But... I am NOT Bill.. I am Dave.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:50:32 AM »

Sorry my fault thanks for all the help. I somehow did think you were the actual creator, not your fault it was mine guess I wasn't reading as closely as I should have. ???

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »

... I somehow did think you were the actual creator....

Your not the first or only to get that impression. And I guess maybe I haven't done enough to dispel that misunderstanding.

tom j

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »

... I somehow did think you were the actual creator....

Your not the first or only to get that impression. And I guess maybe I haven't done enough to dispel that misunderstanding.

Say did I download the correct voice please see my previous email. Getting kind of excited about this almost like when I first got into x10. Your setup is very impressive! Thanks Again!!

Tom j.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »

Actually, I believe Windows 7 comes with a built-in voice and you shouldn't need the MS Speech SDK at all.

Well, that's what I've heard anyway.   ???

By the way, I'm Bill.   :)%
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.