Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: diming lights  (Read 4659 times)

x10boy38

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
diming lights
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

I can't get any modules to dim with AHP. I can turn them off and on but can't dim them. I slide the bar, it moves but the light does not dim. What am I doing wrong? This is with lamp modules and with wall switches. I can dim them with my hand held remotes.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: diming lights
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:59:53 AM »

Depends on a few factors.
Are the modules soft start and what version of AHP you are using.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SoftStart

The symptoms you are seeing probably is a mismatch of module type {before or after Soft Start} and what they are defined as in AHP. The definition depends on AHP version.

Another thought just popped into my mind.  ;D

Are you using a CM15A or CM19A with TM751 interface with AHP?

If you are using a CM19A with TM751 that maybe a problem. I have found later AHP versions do not send dim commands correctly with the CM19A TM751 combination.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:51:19 AM by Brian H »

x10boy38

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »

Thanks for the answer.
I am using a combination of modules. LM465, Stanley 360-3058 wall switches, WS467s, might have some soft start somewhere. I have a lot of x10 gear. I have used this stuff for years.

I was using a 19A when I had Vanguard. I now have a CM15A, AHP version 3.305. I removed the 19A seems to interfere with the CM15A range for camera movement. I still have several RR501s and one or two TM751s scattered around.

So you think if any modules are defined wrong, none would work for dimming? They all turn off and on OK. As I said they all dim with the hand held remotes. I have several on the same unit code also. This dimming problem is not a huge issue, after all most of this gear is just a big toy, but would be nice to get it to work correctly.

Roy

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »

If the lamp modules and/or wall switches are older than 2007-2008, then they are most likely NON-softStart.
In AHP versions later than 3.302, you need to define these using the "Old Lamp Modules (non-SoftStart)" category.
The ones in the "Lamp Modules" category are for the newer, SoftStart modules.

Most (but not all) modules made by companies other than X10 (like SmartHome, Stanley, RadioShack, etc) are best defined as non-SoftStart modules. (Some are new enough that they can respond to the Extended Dim commands the SoftStart modules use).

My experience has been that dimming with the Extended Dim codes is much more accurate than using the older, percentage-based system. My advice is to try them as SoftStart modules first. If they don't dim from AHP, then try defining them as non-SoftStart.

x10boy38

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »

Thanks for the information.
I was looking at other posts and found one that said to keep trying other modules until you found one that would work.
I did and found that changing the module to a WS17 allowed me to dim the lights. Amazing!! Also I noted that all modules set to same house and unit code respond at the same time. Logical.
Anyway the dimming problem is solved.
Thanks for all the help.
Roy

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »

Thanks for the information.
I was looking at other posts and found one that said to keep trying other modules until you found one that would work.
I did and found that changing the module to a WS17 allowed me to dim the lights. Amazing!! Also I noted that all modules set to same house and unit code respond at the same time. Logical.
Anyway the dimming problem is solved.
Thanks for all the help.
Roy

I suggest being careful mixing different module types set to the same address.
If you have both "SoftStart" and "non-SoftStart" modules on the same address, some or all of them may not respond correctly.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »

Noam; Good point. Now we are going to have to watch same addresses on different versions of modules.  :'

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »

All modules with Stanley, Radio Shack, Motorola, Sears and other were all identical to what X10 made (in fact the factory that produced them was next door to the X10 Factory in the PRC) and are all old style.  I've got lots of them in service and in AHP (and AH before) they all show as standard X10 units.  In 3.304 they are all "Old Style" modules.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »

All modules with Stanley, Radio Shack, Motorola, Sears and other were all identical to what X10 made (in fact the factory that produced them was next door to the X10 Factory in the PRC) and are all old style.  I've got lots of them in service and in AHP (and AH before) they all show as standard X10 units.  In 3.304 they are all "Old Style" modules.
Dan -
I just posted a possible "mass conversion" method for AHX files with lots of old lamp modules.
Here is the link:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22592.0

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »

Noam; Good point. Now we are going to have to watch same addresses on different versions of modules.  :'

It becomes an issue, but it would be the same issue had they done it right, and given the SoftStart ones a different model number.

They really need to have something when AHP starts up, which checks for those modules, and gives a popup warning the user that they may need to redefine all of their lamp modules (with an offer to do it for them, of course).
Once that is done, there can be a checkbox option not to show it again at startup.

Again, this problem only applies to AHP users with modules produced before 2007/8. Anyone who bought lamp modules after that shouldn't have the issue.
Maybe they expected the older modules to have stopped working by now, so they would have been replaced already with the newer ones. ;-)

x10boy38

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

So far so good. There seems to be no issue with response from the different modules. Still except for soft start I just installed, none will respond to a dim command unless it is identified as a RWS17. This includes switches and lamp modules.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »

So far so good. There seems to be no issue with response from the different modules. Still except for soft start I just installed, none will respond to a dim command unless it is identified as a RWS17. This includes switches and lamp modules.
The older ones SHOULD respond to bright/dim commands, if defined as a "Wall Switch" or "Lamp Module" under the "Old Lamps no softStart" category.

x10boy38

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »

Will give it a try thanks.
Any reason I can't leave them as RWS17?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »

My $0.02 is: with X10 you leave it at whatever works today, for tomorrow you will have to change it.  rofl

It is very wierd that it would not work as an old stlyle "non-soft start" WS467 (or WS12A for that matter)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »

If it works. You may just want to leave it alone.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.