Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How is "Send IR Command" used under Macro Designer/RF Commands?  (Read 14511 times)

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
How is "Send IR Command" used under Macro Designer/RF Commands?
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »

Just noticed a selection in Macro Designer under RF Commands that says "Send IR Command". It has a lot of options in the drop down menu to control a lot of AV functions. Can anyone explain in detail how this option in Macro Designer is used. Thanks Much.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:36:53 PM by Frank3d »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How is "Send IR Command" used under Macro Designer/RF Commands?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »

I had a plug that I wanted to use an X10 Appliance Module in. However that plug also had a wall-wart device put there by the cable company that amplified my cable signal... and made too much line noise for an Appliance Module to hear a PLC (Power Line Command). So I plugged in a TM751 and used a send RF Command to turn the device On and Off (using the TM751's plug).

The Send RF Command can also be used to trigger a VCR Commander (it only "hears" RF).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:05:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Frank3d

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »

I had a plug that I wanted to use an X10 Appliance Module in. However that plug also had a wall-wart device put there by the cable company that amplified my cable signal... and made too much line noise for an Appliance Module to hear a PLC (Power Line Command). So I plugged in a TM751 and used a send RF Command to turn the device On and Off (using the TM751's plug).

The Send RF Command can also be used to trigger a VCR Commander (it only "hears" RF).
So why does AHP Macro Designer give an option to "Send IR Command" with a bunch of IR commands in a drop down menu when AHP has no capability of sending IR commands? Only RF and PLC commands can be sent by AHP, right?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »

I haven't played with this but if I understand it AHP sends the RF to the VCR commander and the signal is transformed to IR
The commands listed are all hidden commands available to the VCR commander.
I would imagine it works simular to how PcCompanion sends info to your AV devices.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

I am so sorry Frank3d. I mis-read your question... and my reply was completey bogus.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:19:20 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Frank3d

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »

I am so sorry Frank3d. I mis-read your question... and my reply was completey bogus.
No problem. I was kind of wondering about your response. Thanks Anyway. To all reading this post I still would like more input on this subject if anyone is trying a VCR Commander operated THROUGH AHP. See my pervious posts for info.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

X10 had at one time (before my time) an IR Commander:  http://www.x10.com/products/ux17a_bj2.htm
I don't think it is available at this time.... maybe it will make a return someday. I am thinking... that is what the IR commands may have been originally designed to operate (your original question).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:10:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Frank3d

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »

X10 had at one time (before my time) an IR Commander:  http://www.x10.com/products/ux17a_bj2.htm
I don't think it is available at this time.... maybe it will make a return someday. I am thinking... that is what the IR commands may have been originally designed to operate (your original question).
Here is a screen shot of the VHS Commander configuration. AHP lets you create any of the three Commanders (UX17A, UX21A & UX23A) as a module then you have to configure it via the screwy on screen instructions shown in my attached screen shot. Anyone make sense of it or am I just dense......... Read it close several times.

Frank3d

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »

Here is a screen shot of the VHS Commander configuration. AHP lets you create any of the three Commanders (UX17A, UX21A & UX23A) as a module then you have to configure it via the screwy on screen instructions shown in my attached screen shot. Anyone make sense of it or am I just dense......... Read it close several times.
Here is a screen shot of the IR command selection that is used in a macro and is under "RF Commands" in Macro Designer. There are 62 different commands in the list. It looks as if AHP has the capability to send commands to AV equipment through a VCR Commander. If I could create a maco with multiple commands I can then achieve turning the TV on and switching it to a specific channel or input to automatically see my cameras when motion is detected at my front door.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

Frank3d,
You may wish to look at this old thread in the SDK section.
The info in it helped me to add the code to PcCompanion to send multiple AV codes to a VCR commander.
It may help you in your quest to control a commander with a AHP macro! ;)
 >!   
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Frank3d

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »

Frank3d,
You may wish to look at this old thread in the SDK section.
The info in it helped me to add the code to PcCompanion to send multiple AV codes to a VCR commander.
It may help you in your quest to control a commander with a AHP macro! ;)
 >!   
Tuicemen, We need to get a thread going again like that one you referenced to now that X10 has included all the commanders in their software but I may add with poor instructions how to CONFIGURE them. Also it would be nice if the IR command sets for newer AV equipment were implemented. I'm going to try to program my VCR Commander II (UX23A) this weekend with AHP and report back. I have been discusing this with Eric Boyd a level two tech at X10 and he said its possible it will work if my Sony TV still uses some of the older IR command sets that reside in the firmware of the Commander. Unfortunately he said there is no better write up of instructions than the screen that comes up in AHP when trying to configure the Commander for your device. WISH ME LUCK.......

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

Just remember you need to send the 63Release command after each command even if you string multiple ones!
Maybe once you get it working you can start a 'how to'  thread! ;)
Maybe even update the wiki for it! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Frank3d

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

Just remember you need to send the 63Release command after each command even if you string multiple ones!
Maybe once you get it working you can start a 'how to'  thread! ;)
Maybe even update the wiki for it! ;)
 >!
No go fellas........... Couldent configurre the VCR Commander II (UX23A) as stated in the previous posts.
The VCR Commander II does not have multiple manufacture IR command sets in its firmware like the old UX17A IR Commander did, unlike I was lead to believe by X10 level two support. Plus there is no way to program the VCR Commander II in AHP for anything but VCR Record Start and after five minutes VCR Record Stop (hard coded) and a RF house and unit code from any motion sensor. The only reason I can think of why X10 discontinued the functionality of the UX17A to control AV equipment was either not enough folks used it or it was to difficult to keep it current with all the manufactures IR code sets.
OH WELL BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD  >*< ??? B:( :-\ :'(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

No go fellas........... Couldent configurre the VCR Commander II (UX23A) as stated in the previous posts.
The VCR Commander II does not have multiple manufacture IR command sets in its firmware like the old UX17A IR Commander did, unlike I was lead to believe by X10 level two support. Plus there is no way to program the VCR Commander II in AHP for anything but VCR Record Start and after five minutes VCR Record Stop (hard coded) and a RF house and unit code from any motion sensor. The only reason I can think of why X10 discontinued the functionality of the UX17A to control AV equipment was either not enough folks used it or it was to difficult to keep it current with all the manufactures IR code sets.
To bad you couldn't get it working.
Althought the VCR Commander does have multiple manufacture IR command sets in its firmware althought some of the old codes from the ux17a are different.
In fact it has some added manufacture codes.
It took me over a year to get it to work for PcCompanion.
I think AHP can possibly control this  once set up .
However I suspect a key bit of initialization code is missing. :(
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Frank3d

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »

No go fellas........... Couldn't configure the VCR Commander II (UX23A) as stated in the previous posts.
To bad you couldn't get it working.
Although the VCR Commander does have multiple manufacture IR command sets in its firmware although some of the old codes from the ux17a are different.
In fact it has some added manufacture codes.
It took me over a year to get it to work for PcCompanion.
I think AHP can possibly control this  once set up .
However I suspect a key bit of initialization code is missing.
AGREED Time will tell...
ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE AN IR COMMANDER (UX17A)? I would like to experiment with one?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:32:17 PM by Frank3d »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.