Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Activity Log creates multiple iexplore.exe processes  (Read 12180 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Activity Log creates multiple iexplore.exe processes
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug or a problem I have. But I have noticed when I view the activity log it starts 2 iexplore.exe processes. I'm using IE8 so it is normal for the 2 processes when IE is started. However, when I close the activity log both processes are still running. Later when I look at the log again there are now 3 iexplore.exe processes. Close the log and still 3. What I have found is 1 new process is started every time I reopen the log. Not if I reopen the log within a few minutes, I mean hours later. And if I keep letting it open new processes, over a period of time my computer will crash due to low resources and a dozen or more iexplore.exe processes eating up memory.

I have tried closing AHP but the processes remain. I even restarted the x10nets service and the processes remain. I have to open task manager and kill them one-by-one or just reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this or confirm?

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Activity Log creates multiple iexplore.exe processes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Definitely a bug with AHP/Activity Monitor, probably introduced within the last 2-3 revisions of AHP.  I'm currently using 3.306 and I've had the exact same issue as you've had, just had not identified the cause.  Using task manager to kill the processes would just restart iexplorer.exe with a balloon message about a tab/page error and that the tab has been recovered, but no browser window would be displayed.  This would continue until I found and terminated the parent process.

With AHP it seems that they fix one thing or another or introduce new functionality without doing any beta or regression testing before they do a general release and then hope all goes well - NOT  B:(.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:26:29 PM by delibaker »

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

I've had the exact same issue as you've had, just had not identified the cause.  Using task manager to kill the processes would just restart iexplorer.exe with a balloon message about a tab/page error and the tab has been recovered, but no browser window would be displayed.  This would continue until I found and terminated the parent process.

Yes. And if you start IE after that you get a message asking if you want to restore your previous session. I tried that once but never got the page.

Doesn't seem to cause this problem if you view reports which actually open IE.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »

XP Pro, SP3, IE8. All Microsoft updates.
AHP 3.306. No plug ins.
I can also duplicate your findings.
Open Activity Monitor. Close it out. Exit AHP. Two iexplore.exe showing in running processes.
Do the drill again and now three running.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:54:43 PM by Brian H »

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

THought I should also mention I'm running XP Pro, SP3, IE8 with all current updates. Also running AHP 3.305 with SmartMacros, OnAlert and MyHouseOnline.

In case it is a bug. Which it sure seems to be.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »

Well, I see it too (on XP SP2, at least - didn't check my Win7 PC yet).

I'll send an e-mail to the developers, and make sure it gets added to the bug list here, too.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »

I'm running 3.306, no plug-ins and my Activity Monitor does NOT open IE8.  Could one or more of the plug-ins start that?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

It's not IE8, it's a windows process known as iexplore.exe.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

The only  iexplore.exe I have is in Program Files/Internet Explorer.  How does the Activity Monitor even know where it is?

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »

Just my 2 cents, but iexplore.exe is IE8 on my XP/SP3 box.  Launch Task Manager and then IE8 and you'll see 2 iexplore.exe tasks and the IE8 browser window.  Kill the parent iexplore.exe task and the browser window is killed.  AHP Activity Monitor uses whatever version of IE available for it's "printable" reports, which are in HTML and starts 2 processes.  Use task manager to terminate the one that's not the parent and you get the balloon message of "tab has been recovered" without a browser window!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »

Only problem is AHP doesn't play nice and kill the program when the Activity Monitor is use and it stays running. Then Activity Monitor starts another one each time it runs. Memory Leak here. B:(

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »

Weird!!! I tried it and that's exactly what happened.  AHP is 3.303, Internet Explorer is IE8. OS is Windows XP Home.  What we need now is somebody who is running an earlier version of AHP  and IE7 or 8 to have the same thing happen. 

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »

I got a confirmation from the developers that they are looking into this one, and trying to get it resolved (along with the other bugs on our list).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.